More budget hotels asking $100 deposits

This topic is 1325 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Has anyone traveling been discovering this? I’m finding even budget hotels with no amenities are requiring it, especially when booking thru Priceline, but often times even when doing directly thru the hotel. It’s been 4 times this year that I’ve had to leave $100 for a deposit, and each time I’m waiting days. This week I checked into a hotel on Sunday, and just received the deposit back Wednesday morning.

It’s really become a nuisance considering sometimes I may stay in more than 1 hotel in the course of a week. Or I may have a client in city who wants to meet, and I have to quickly pick a hotel nearby to where I am. It seems to have started back in the early stages of the pandemic. There’s been several hotels I’ve stayed at that didn’t charge deposits at all or only held like $20, now suddenly wanting $100.

I’ve even been considering getting in touch with some legal aid seeing if anyone else may have been considering, because I feel it’s discrimination. At the same time, hotel laws could be all over the place.

To me it really fucking defeats the purpose of getting a “budget” hotel, if you still have to cough up an additional amount that’s even higher than room rate. They always try to say because of previous guests did this, or did that... but I’m not previous guests. Charge them, not me.

It’s also why I have to ask for deposit from clients to host. Because if I’m getting a room, and person does or doesn’t show up, I could easily be out $150 minimum, just from booking a hotel to host. Exactly why I’m ready to get into my incall spot and fuck hotels.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They always do that. They take a credit card imprint and get an approval for 100.00 or 200.00. I think it's gratuitous these days because its supposed to cover incidentals. But, at the moment, they aren't providing anything in the way of incidentals. The only possible thing would be damage to the room or cleaning in the case of a room in which somebody had smoked tobacco. A couple days after you check out, they release the funds.

They always do that. They take a credit card imprint and get an approval for 100.00 or 200.00. I think it's gratuitous these days because its supposed to cover incidentals. But, at the moment, they aren't providing anything in the way of incidentals. The only possible thing would be damage to the room or cleaning in the case of a room in which somebody had smoked tobacco. A couple days after you check out, they release the funds.

If I was staying on the Las Vegas strip, in a world class resort, I could understand. But I’ve had places like Super 8, Sleep Inn and even Marriott Springhill...request $100 deposits. Those same hotels would ordinarily take $0 or maybe $25 for incidentals.

And like you said, there’s nothing to charge to the room anyway since food and beverage at many are either non existent or very limited.

I’ve actually fared better staying at the upper level hotels than some of the smaller budget hotels. A Sheraton I stayed in one city, only held $1. And an Embassy suites in another town only held $20. Perhaps the pandemic has brought in a lot of trashy guests to the budget conscious establishments. Guess I’ll have to reconfigure where I stay.

I am currently a diamond member with 2 hotel brands, but due to their iffy hotels that occasionally charge exorbitant deposits, I’ve been using my Priceline VIP status much more often. At the same time, the drawback with 3rd parties is, smaller hotels will demand a deposit, whereas booking thru the hotel directly may not.

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

Has anyone traveling been discovering this? I’m finding even budget hotels with no amenities are requiring it, especially when booking thru Priceline, but often times even when doing directly thru the hotel. It’s been 4 times this year that I’ve had to leave $100 for a deposit, and each time I’m waiting days. This week I checked into a hotel on Sunday, and just received the deposit back Wednesday morning.

It’s really become a nuisance considering sometimes I may stay in more than 1 hotel in the course of a week. Or I may have a client in city who wants to meet, and I have to quickly pick a hotel nearby to where I am. It seems to have started back in the early stages of the pandemic. There’s been several hotels I’ve stayed at that didn’t charge deposits at all or only held like $20, now suddenly wanting $100.

I’ve even been considering getting in touch with some legal aid seeing if anyone else may have been considering, because I feel it’s discrimination. At the same time, hotel laws could be all over the place.

To me it really fucking defeats the purpose of getting a “budget” hotel, if you still have to cough up an additional amount that’s even higher than room rate. They always try to say because of previous guests did this, or did that... but I’m not previous guests. Charge them, not me.

It’s also why I have to ask for deposit from clients to host. Because if I’m getting a room, and person does or doesn’t show up, I could easily be out $150 minimum, just from booking a hotel to host. Exactly why I’m ready to get into my incall spot and fuck hotels.

They don't charge you that, they keep it as a "pending" charge, right? I haven't been in a hotel since March and that's how it was back then.

I have a lifetime platinum membership in Sheraton (now marriott) I get the temporary/pending charges back into my account a couple of days later. Why is such a big deal?

Why you say "it feels discrimination"?

Priceline has a VIP status? Very important bargain hunter?

Exclusive deals so to speak. Mainly thru the app. I also get 10% off all my express deals. Anytime I book thru PL, I tend to go for something nice...

They don't charge you that, they keep it as a "pending" charge, right? I haven't been in a hotel since March and that's how it was back then.

I have a lifetime platinum membership in Sheraton (now marriott) I get the temporary/pending charges back into my account a couple of days later. Why is such a big deal?

Why you say "it feels discrimination"?

Because it's a big deal considering I don't always have those funds available on a card. And lot of places won't accept cash. And in certain cities, going to a bank for a deposit may not be an option if the bank I use isn't in town. Or I may not even have the extra available at all. Let's not pretend like nobody in our profession ever goes a week where they may only have less than $100-$200 in between lulls in business, especially when multiple bills are due in 1 week.

I say discrimination because, on several instances they've admitted to doing so. Discrimination Mainly towards the priceline guest, but also I've even booked directly thru a hotel: one such place I've stayed 2 other times. Neither time was I asked for a deposit. One night, I checked in with a guy to have some fun time, and suddenly it's $100 deposit. Fortunately, he didn't mind putting it down.

But then the next day, some other bitch going to say to us as we're checking out, "i didn't know there was 2 people in that room, it would have been extra". I said, "the person last night seen 2 were checking in" (and staying in 1 bed). Why the bitch had a need to have a problem, idk. But she almost got cursed out if it weren't for me trying to keep a cool head around my JFF contestant lol.

I later did file a discrimination complaint, but I definitely won't be staying with them again. Fucking Homophobic bastards. And that's the stuff I refer to.

The other thing is, the chain of hotels that I book thru, will list on their notes how much they will charge for incidentals. Most will only say for pets and smoking. But now, those same ones will charge incidentals anyway, even if it doesn't say anything about it.

Only ones I've found that consistently don't are red roof inn and extended stay. Motel 6 doesn't either, but I hardly ever use those due to the flimsy beds and bare bones amenities. Though some in smaller towns tend to be doable

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

-

snip

But then the next day, some other bitch going to say to us as we're checking out, "I didn't know there were 2 people in that room, it would have been extra".

-

One way to avoid that sort of situation is to book the room for two people. That way, if you are checking in or out together, that issue will not happen.

Until this awful pandemic arrived, I traveled often and used various hotels. Even though I usually traveled alone, I always booked the room for two occupants. You never know if an occasion will occur when a second person happens along.

There is no extra charge for two people sharing the same room. If you happen to select a room that includes breakfast, the second person is given breakfast. That is another advantage of booking a room showing two people.

Just something to consider.

Keep in mind, that right now EVERY room has to be thoroughly taken apart, cleaned and sanitized before a guest checks in, regardless of whether the prior guest spent 5 minutes or 5 days in the space. The property has to have enough commitment of guests actually showing in order to schedule the staff. Providing a clean and safe environment for guests is essential, and that adds man-hours to each housekeeping shift.

Look at you, being a good pay-it-forward consumer and citizen!! Just by floating a deposit that covers the cost of turning a room, you are actually creating jobs and/or boosting OT for some minimum wage workers who can really use the money. You get your money back, and some housekeeper gets to both pay her rent AND feed her kids. Sounds win/win to me!!

too funny.....coming from a guy whose favorite word in the english language regarding clients is deposits....

when a deposit is requested from him in a legit transaction, he starts screaming like a banshee & crying like a baby.....

width=368pxhttps://media1.tenor.com/images/973b82b86bd3a4c069bfb1703c70642e/tenor.gif?itemid=17184774[/img]

Edited by orville

Keep in mind, that right now EVERY room has to be thoroughly taken apart, cleaned and sanitized before a guest checks in, regardless of whether the prior guest spent 5 minutes or 5 days in the space. The property has to have enough commitment of guests actually showing in order to schedule the staff. Providing a clean and safe environment for guests is essential, and that adds man-hours to each housekeeping shift.

Look at you, being a good pay-it-forward consumer and citizen!! Just by floating a deposit that covers the cost of turning a room, you are actually creating jobs and/or boosting OT for some minimum wage workers who can really use the money. You get your money back, and some housekeeper gets to both pay her rent AND feed her kids. Sounds win/win to me!!

Sounds good, but I'm not understanding this:

If I'm paying for a hotel in advance (thru a 3rd party or when they swipe my card), as in already paid... the refundable deposit for incidentals isn't really going to make or break the housekeeper.

It's kind of like if a client paid my fee in advance. And then I asked, "now I just need to see your credit card and authorize an extra $100 incidentals for STDs. If I don't have any symptoms after 7 days, I'll refund the money back to you." They'd be looking at me like an alien.

Obviously that's a facetious and extreme example, but it's the same concept. The housekeeping money is included in the money I pay for the room.

It's almost at a point where I have to just keep $100 set aside on an untouchable card just for hotel incidentals.

Jarrod, you’re really not at the disadvantage you think you are here - look at business model comparisons

HOTEL: Operating at a loss Thx to COVID

PROVIDER: Same

HOTEL: Has federal, state and local regulations to follow, and is subject to unannounced inspections for enforcement, and pay fines for violations. This is calculated into all rack rates along with other expenses.

PROVIDER: Not regulated, with client bearing equal amount of any legal exposure for any violations of law.

HOTEL: Uses ads to reassure potential guests that during this contagion, the property’s sanitation practices are thorough and complete with all process documentation and MSDS available for review. May be liable in court for misrepresentation or damages to guests in civil suits.

PROVIDER: Uses profile to reassure potential clients that during this contagion, he is STI-free, and recently tested neg for COVID. No documentation provided. No liability in court for misrepresentation or damages.

HOTEL: Able to accommodate advance reservations and walk-ins by having trained housekeeping staff on a rotating schedule, to keep a variety of rooms (and all the common areas) prepared, sanitized and available for use, compatible with advertised check-in and check-out times and other posted hours of operation.

PROVIDER: Able to determine everything about availability and location of appointment. Now, later or not at all; my place, your place my friend’s place, or the Ritz. Client may have own request re time and location which you negotiate, or decline as suits you.

Provider does not require additional staff or communication equipment for douching, showering, gargling, condom-buying, cleaning, etc. in advance preparation.

HOTEL: Has been burned by no-shows and skippers, therefore...

Requires refundable deposit to cover costs for preparation of room to higher standards right now, rather than raise rack rate. (If you so much as sit on the bed for 10 seconds and decide you want another room, they’ll get you the new room AND will also have to document all the steps taken for re-cleaning of room you were in for a minute). Deposit refunded at checkout, and it is recorded that it was, in fact, refunded, not just adjustment to bill, and hotel can be liable for any emotional damage to client in the process of settling the refund.

PROVIDER: Has been burned by no-shows and skippers (no tip...) therefore...

Requires refundable(?) deposit to cover costs of preparation. For most providers, that usually involves nothing more than would be done as enhanced grooming prior to hook up with a FB. Deposit may offset losses from scheduling around a no-show. No documentation. Deposit may also soothe any hurt feelings from rejection (“sorry but you’re not the guy in the photos, so just keep the deposit, but expect an unflattering review”) Provider can refund as much or as little of deposit as desired, regardless of pre-agreement, as no client will ever bring a suit to court.

HOTEL: Has to maintain entire property to current safety and OSHA standards and prove all insurance is always updated in order to advertise as a hotel, and do business.

PROVIDER: Has a gym membership. Might move soiled laundry from floor Into hamper.

You get what I’m saying. Your business model really can’t be compared to that of a commercial establishment. Keep it in proportion. You have a low-overhead business with great flexibility about how you manage it.

To speak to your big dilemma, YES!! if you’re going to book a hotel room, whether for work or leisure, you SHOULD plan on the extra hundred or so up front, and use a card or cards that will cover the TOTAL amount it takes to reserve the room.

Deposit policies exist, like most laws and regs, because of a few selfish schmucks who took advantage in the past and have ruined it for others forever.. It’s a cost of doing business, my friend. No need to take it as a personal rebuke. Maybe you work locally for now, or in a city where you only take outcalls and crash on a friends couch, if liquidity is a major issue.

And for Karma’s sake please leave a generous tip for the housekeeper anytime you stay.

It's almost at a point where I have to just keep $100 set aside on an untouchable card just for hotel incidentals.

That's what I do. I have a credit card that I rarely use for anything but will use for deposits and rebates and things like that. I've always gotten my deposits back except for one time where I legit got charged for taking one of the dumb bottles of water. But that way I'm not actually using my bank account for anything.

Jarrod, you’re really not at the disadvantage you think you are here - look at business model comparisons

HOTEL: Operating at a loss Thx to COVID

PROVIDER: Same

HOTEL: Has federal, state and local regulations to follow, and is subject to unannounced inspections for enforcement, and pay fines for violations. This is calculated into all rack rates along with other expenses.

PROVIDER: Not regulated, with client bearing equal amount of any legal exposure for any violations of law.

HOTEL: Uses ads to reassure potential guests that during this contagion, the property’s sanitation practices are thorough and complete with all process documentation and MSDS available for review. May be liable in court for misrepresentation or damages to guests in civil suits.

PROVIDER: Uses profile to reassure potential clients that during this contagion, he is STI-free, and recently tested neg for COVID. No documentation provided. No liability in court for misrepresentation or damages.

HOTEL: Able to accommodate advance reservations and walk-ins by having trained housekeeping staff on a rotating schedule, to keep a variety of rooms (and all the common areas) prepared, sanitized and available for use, compatible with advertised check-in and check-out times and other posted hours of operation.

PROVIDER: Able to determine everything about availability and location of appointment. Now, later or not at all; my place, your place my friend’s place, or the Ritz. Client may have own request re time and location which you negotiate, or decline as suits you.

Provider does not require additional staff or communication equipment for douching, showering, gargling, condom-buying, cleaning, etc. in advance preparation.

HOTEL: Has been burned by no-shows and skippers, therefore...

Requires refundable deposit to cover costs for preparation of room to higher standards right now, rather than raise rack rate. (If you so much as sit on the bed for 10 seconds and decide you want another room, they’ll get you the new room AND will also have to document all the steps taken for re-cleaning of room you were in for a minute). Deposit refunded at checkout, and it is recorded that it was, in fact, refunded, not just adjustment to bill, and hotel can be liable for any emotional damage to client in the process of settling the refund.

PROVIDER: Has been burned by no-shows and skippers (no tip...) therefore...

Requires refundable(?) deposit to cover costs of preparation. For most providers, that usually involves nothing more than would be done as enhanced grooming prior to hook up with a FB. Deposit may offset losses from scheduling around a no-show. No documentation. Deposit may also soothe any hurt feelings from rejection (“sorry but you’re not the guy in the photos, so just keep the deposit, but expect an unflattering review”) Provider can refund as much or as little of deposit as desired, regardless of pre-agreement, as no client will ever bring a suit to court.

HOTEL: Has to maintain entire property to current safety and OSHA standards and prove all insurance is always updated in order to advertise as a hotel, and do business.

PROVIDER: Has a gym membership. Might move soiled laundry from floor Into hamper.

You get what I’m saying. Your business model really can’t be compared to that of a commercial establishment. Keep it in proportion. You have a low-overhead business with great flexibility about how you manage it.

To speak to your big dilemma, YES!! if you’re going to book a hotel room, whether for work or leisure, you SHOULD plan on the extra hundred or so up front, and use a card or cards that will cover the TOTAL amount it takes to reserve the room.

Deposit policies exist, like most laws and regs, because of a few selfish schmucks who took advantage in the past and have ruined it for others forever.. It’s a cost of doing business, my friend. No need to take it as a personal rebuke. Maybe you work locally for now, or in a city where you only take outcalls and crash on a friends couch, if liquidity is a major issue.

And for Karma’s sake please leave a generous tip for the housekeeper anytime you stay.

blah, blah, blah...I’m not reading all that.

You spent a lot of time justifying that, but the point I’m saying is: if they didn’t do it before, why do it now? Yes they have rules and regulations, so on and so on. That’s what they’re supposed to have. I’ve been hurt by hotels more than enough times, to understand that (bedbugs, car broken into, rude guests I’ve almost had to fight b/c staff incompetent, food and respiratory illnesses that I’m POSITIVE was incurred from a hotel...list goes on)

I’m not going to sit here and “be understanding” of what hotels have to go thru. The only reason I made the example I did, was to make the connection of how there’s risks on both ends. I take deposits because, if and when someone cancels, I don’t get paid shit. Not a goddamn thing. Whereas if someone messes up a room, well hell, atleast they got paid for the room.

I’m not underestimating the responsibility hotels have and why deposits are likely to their advantage, but $100? To stay at a fucking Super 8? And one place in Dallas last year, the Hawthorne suites in north Dallas tried to tell me I needed to pay a $300 deposit for 1 night. Who the F they think I’m doing, moving in?

So no, I’m not going to kiss up to hotels. Sorry. If I pay a hotel in advance, no reason for an extra $100 to be held on my account. It’s simply corporate riff raff that is intended to keep people who aren’t staying on a corporate account, out. When I stayed in Palm Springs gay resort last year, I paid the hotel $230 for 2 nights, and didn’t have to pay anything extra to “hold” for damages.

Again, if a hotel actually had room service and spa and a selection of refrigerator items, I can understand. But not some fucking basic hotel that serves Grab n go breakfasts in the morning. And then tell me, “because people smoke and damage the room”. Bitch, what the F that has to do with me? I don’t smoke and I’m 1 person by myself, no kids ??‍♂️

I also don’t buy “karma” by tipping maids. Sometimes I do, other times I don’t. If it’s a big nice room in a big city and I made some decent money, I might. But I don’t trash rooms. I throw all my shit in the trash, flush the toilet, and leave it clean. I also bring my own top sheet to play on. One maid quoted, “your room was the cleanest and easiest I’ve had”.

I’m not going to make their job hard, but I also have spent upwards of 90% of my earnings on hotels some days...I really don’t feel the need to always tip, especially if I’m “on tour” and staying in hotels for 20 or 30 days at a time.

That's what I do. I have a credit card that I rarely use for anything but will use for deposits and rebates and things like that. I've always gotten my deposits back except for one time where I legit got charged for taking one of the dumb bottles of water. But that way I'm not actually using my bank account for anything.

I actually do have a card that I did plan to use for rental cars and hotel deposits, but the first hotel I tried using it...happened to be a Springhill Marriott that held $100. I had literally stayed there a month prior, and it was only $25. Clearly they needed to jump the gun, deeper into the pandemic.

After I checked out, they took forever to refund the amount...even taking it out again 2 weeks later, which interfered with one of my rental car reservations. They claim they didn’t take it out, but I know some credit cards will wait forever for the “merchant“ to send the authorization.

Sometimes the better option is to call each hotel individually before booking and asking about the incidental hold. I’ve saved face that way a few times.

We shouldn't underestimate how hard it is for someone with no guaranteed income to float that extra $100 in deposits per day, especially in these lean times. Many of the people who stay in budget accomodations do not have that kind of flexibility all the time. Add to that the many forms of discrimination that a black person faces everyday. I sympathize with Jarrod here and can only imagine what it's like for folks who are having an even harder time being unhoused or without a guaranteed income during a pandemic.

I've not stayed in a huge number of hotels, but I've often been a little confused by the vagaries of deposits and how far off the fee-bloated actual daily rate can differ so much from the AAA or otherwise quoted rate, etc.

There ought to be something like a hotel guest "reputation" score - where frequent travelers can build a history of not trashing rooms and maybe get a break on deposits, etc.

Eh, it's likely not a practical idea, I know.

I've not stayed in a huge number of hotels, but I've often been a little confused by the vagaries of deposits and how far off the fee-bloated actual daily rate can differ so much from the AAA or otherwise quoted rate, etc.

There ought to be something like a hotel guest "reputation" score - where frequent travelers can build a history of not trashing rooms and maybe get a break on deposits, etc.

A huge portion of the final total is the hospitality tax levied by the municipality. More and more places are charging daily resort fees - sometimes 30.00 - 40.00 per day.

A huge portion of the final total is the hospitality tax levied by the municipality. More and more places are charging daily resort fees - sometimes 30.00 - 40.00 per day.

I sort of resent that the resort fee in Vegas isn't advertised as part of the price, right from the to start. They hotel knows how much it's going to be, I don't. It's a definite part of the final price.

Why not? We live in an information age with computers. It’s as simple as the cleaning staff clicking a button on an app or device when they’re cleaning. Information is associated with your room when you check in and check out.

I sort of resent that the resort fee in Vegas isn't advertised as part of the price, right from the to start. They hotel knows how much it's going to be, I don't. It's a definite part of the final price.

The rule for Las Vegas and Orlando: any hotel that says "Las Vegas Strip", buffet, or Disney world is bound to have a resort fee.

Most of those $30/night hotels are really resorts and cost double the amount. Which is still a good deal for the views in some of those places, but it's not $30.

@Jarrod_Uncut – When you’re the provider, you demand platinum treatment. When you’re the client, you want every accommodation and grace. Your hypocrisy is gobsmacking.

Not sure where that assumption comes from. It's nothing to do with platinum treatment or wanting every accommodation

My point of this thread is that hotels have actually been REFUSING TO HONOR RESERVATIONS TO people who don't have the deposit to cover their room stay. Even if it's been prepaid. That could be an issue for an escort who may be low on funds, and has a CLIENT who is arriving in short order. A traveling provider can actually end up missing an appointment, because of such a situation. Obviously, it’s not recommended to travel without enough cushion, but you’d be surprised how many may need to once in awhile.

How you think it's asking for platinum treatment when someone just wants to check into the room they paid for, is gobsmacking ? to me.

It's nothing necessarily brand new, but more hotels that you wouldn't expect, are doing it. If I check into a Super 8 (Which is rare but sometimes you don't want full service hotel...and some super 8 are actually quite nice), I'm not trying to pay $150 for a night. They say it comes right back, it doesn't. I'm still parting with $150, $100 that I may need to wait a few days to access. All for sleeping on a bed for not even 24 hours because they push to get everyone out by 11 am.

Like a lot of your lengthy complaining posts....

Actually I was thinking about your posts that are always up my ass instead of your own. How ironic ?

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut

The rule for Las Vegas and Orlando: any hotel that says "Las Vegas Strip", buffet, or Disney world is bound to have a resort fee.

Most of those $30/night hotels are really resorts and cost double the amount. Which is still a good deal for the views in some of those places, but it's not $30.

It's not limited to the Strip. Advertise it ahead of time, to reflect the real cost.