The Algorithm that Knows You the Best

orville
This topic is 1327 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

width=457pxhttps://media1.tenor.com/images/8e40358039c8e2eb4923315e86d4d354/tenor.gif?itemid=14140781[/img]

Have you found a Website or App that seems to read your mind or predict / influence what you are going to do?

In my case, it's Youtube, and it's not the first time this happens.

It just showed me a recipe containing 1 single ingredient that I bought and it's been resting on my kitchen countertop since last night.

I didn't call or text anyone on my phone or laptop about it, neither I browsed recipes, and I don't use any voice assistants at all.

I don't know if I should feel pleased or scared. I would certainly feel alarmed if one day it starts showing me funeral services videos.

Edited by orville

width=457pxhttps://media1.tenor.com/images/8e40358039c8e2eb4923315e86d4d354/tenor.gif?itemid=14140781[/img]

Have you found a Website or App that seems to read your mind or predict what you are going to do?

In my case, it's Youtube, and it's not the first time this happens.

It just showed me a recipe containing 1 single ingredient that I bought and it's been resting on my kitchen countertop since last night.

I didn't call or text anyone on my phone or laptop about it, neither I browsed recipes, and I don't use any voice assistants at all.

I don't know if I should feel pleased or scared. I would certainly feel alarmed if one day it starts showing me funeral services videos.

How did the recipe turn out (I won't tell the _ _ _ Tube that shall not be named)

nearly the first time I had just started filling out a standard name/home address/email address/phone number form on a new computer a couple months ago, the entire form was suddenly populated with all the correct info in all the fields......jesus, it was freaky......I'd never seen that on any earlier computers.....a techy friend who was at my side helping me with the new computer seemed nonchalant when I expressed surprise and said the personal info was probably already cached.....

nearly the first time I had just started filling out a standard name/home address/email address/phone number form on a new computer a couple months ago, the entire form was suddenly populated with all the correct info in all the fields......jesus, it was freaky......I'd never seen that on any earlier computers.....a techy friend who was at my side helping me with the new computer seemed nonchalant when I expressed surprise and said the personal info was probably already cached.....

If you were signed into Chrome more probably all the personal information was transferred from your old to your new computer via Gmail.

In my case, just the day before seeing the recommendation appear on my Youtube feed I had been thinking of: What can I do with these potatoes.

I had considered 3 options but in the end, I prepared the baked french fries because I've never done it. I was like WTF: "Youtube made me do it".

Algorithms can't seem to figure me out. Over 99% of recommended videos on Youtube I'm not interested in. Same with the books Kindle recommends me. Amazon probably thinks I'm a bot that just orders random stuff. Perhaps I should see this as a compliment that I'm an individual with such diverse characteristics they simply cannot be reduced to a set of computer instructions. Or I'm just mentally unstable.

What I do like is the integration of Google services. If I put in an appointment in my calendar with an address, the appointment also shows up in Google Maps. If I booked a flight through my gmail account, Google will automatically remind me of check-in times and location of the airport and when I should leave to arrive on time.

The recipe Youtube showed me said that after cutting the potatoes they have to soak in water for 30 MIN to release the starch, then I have to dry them out with a kitchen or paper towel, preheat the oven to 425 and leave the tray there for 5 min or so and then take it out while still HOT then spray olive oil so when you arrange the fries on the tray they start "frying" right away. Then move them to the oven where they have to stay 20 to 25 MIN. Then sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic, and coriander.

width=336pxhttps://media1.tenor.com/images/c9aca7d1b6b42b8969a29f669e48a51e/tenor.gif?itemid=14179238[/img]

The recipe Youtube showed me said that after cutting the potatoes they have to soak in water for 30 MIN to release the starch, then I have to dry them out with a kitchen or paper towel, preheat the oven to 425 and leave the tray there for 5 min or so and then take it out while still HOT then spray olive oil so when you arrange the fries on the tray they start "frying" right away. Then move them to the oven where they have to stay 20 to 25 MIN. Then sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic, and coriander.

width=336pxhttps://media1.tenor.com/images/c9aca7d1b6b42b8969a29f669e48a51e/tenor.gif?itemid=14179238[/img]

I have read about soaking potatoes to remove the starch. Last Thanksgiving, I made slow-cooker mashed potatoes that were superb and the recipe specified soaking the potatoes. I'm sure they would have been good even if I hadn't soaked the potatoes.