Urine Danger

Lucky
This topic is 1339 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When you are in a public lavatory, isn't it nice when the other guys flush the urinals? Maybe not. According to a study which I read about in the NY Post-hence, the "urine danger" comment- flushed urinals shoot out virus particles harder and faster than does a sit-down toilet. So wear your mask! Even if alone, you don't know that the last guy there didn't leave something to be aerosolized into your nose!

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-urinals-flush-propel-particles-more-force-than-toilets-20200818-jhjzrkf6nvhxhebjymvfxyfrwu-story.html

urinals-25897.jpg

When you are in a public lavatory, isn't it nice when the other guys flush the urinals? Maybe not. According to a study which I read about in the NY Post-hence, the "urine danger" comment- flushed urinals shoot out virus particles harder and faster than does a sit-down toilet. So wear your mask! Even if alone, you don't know that the last guy there didn't leave something to be aerosolized into your nose!

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-urinals-flush-propel-particles-more-force-than-toilets-20200818-jhjzrkf6nvhxhebjymvfxyfrwu-story.html

urinals-25897.jpg

I haven't seen a urinal recently that doesn't flush automatically.

urinals-25897.jpg

A friend told me to always cover the toilet seat before flushing it or particles will spread all over and specially attached to fabrics.

Obviously in a urinal we can't do that.

Another reason to implement waterless urinals, as they have in San Diego.

Love those for so many reasons.

As to the other comments, I always close the lid when possible. The problem with public toilets vis-a-vis urinals is the fact that too many men don't lift the seat when they urinate. Kind of a damned if you do, damn if you don't.

I suspect that the aerosol effect created by flushing toilets in public restrooms will prove to be the biggest challenge in virus containment as everything opens back up. Public restrooms don’t typically have toilet seats to lower either. Intuitively, it seems to me that toilets are A bigger risk than urinals.

Has anyone shown that COVID can be transmitted via urine? It's broadly regarded as a respiratory infection (with circulatory complications), and urine is generally sterile. Feces is way more complicated in that regard, but again, I'm not aware of evidence of COVID being spread via fecal contamination.

I suspect that the aerosol effect created by flushing toilets in public restrooms will prove to be the biggest challenge in virus containment as everything opens back up. Public restrooms don’t typically have toilet seats to lower either. Intuitively, it seems to me that toilets are A bigger risk than urinals.

Do you have reason or evidence to believe the covid virus is spread through that urine aerosol effect?

Waterless urinals are horrible. They reek and are unsanitary. Water does not get created or destroyed, it gets recycled. People need to realize that.

If you own a business that has them....you hate them. Much increased maintenance on waste piping due to urine sugars buildup.

Thanks for your comments guys. I've always considered them more environment-friendly but there are certainly other considerations to have in mind. And yes, they stink like a MF.

Do you have reason or evidence to believe the covid virus is spread through that urine aerosol effect?

Not other than this article. I’ve always understood the risk to be intestinal. In addition, the urinals I encounter are low flow. I don’t know if that’s lower risk, but it seems that low flow toilets use more pressure and intuitively seem to create more aerosol

I don’t see a big problem with using urinals. First the self flushing kind, which are in most newer establishments or those that have been updated, only activate after you walk away from the urinal. Second, with the old manual flushing type, you can still turn away after you flush and avoid breathing in any aerosol droplets. Generally the water is directed downwards anyway. Third, if I am in a public washroom, which I have been over the last 5 months, I wear a mask as we are required to do here in Canada in public indoor spaces. Even if not required one can always have one to use when needed.