Economics of fitness modeling and photography

Studsearcher

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wonder what motivates people to speculate about the misfortune that could befall people currently enjoying the limelight. It is true that nothing is forever, but if someone is enjoying fifteen minutes of wealth and/or fame in social media, what, really, is wrong with that? What motivates someone to salivate over their coming downfall?

Jealousy...

No, Nick is very discreet. Maybe you could suggest drinks in a hotel bar? If you wait until he’s in financial difficulties again, he may be much more willing. Over time, my experience has been that str8 guys become more receptive to keeping a gay guy company when they have little money and large bills to pay.

yes but unfortunately some turn violent and ungrateful towards the community that worships them.

Several high profile cases like Timothy Boham and some Sean Cody, Corbin Fisher guys.

If they need money they and modeling/acting doesn't work they can always get another job though.

I always wonder what motivates people to speculate about the misfortune that could befall people currently enjoying the limelight. It is true that nothing is forever, but if someone is enjoying fifteen minutes of wealth and/or fame in social media, what, really, is wrong with that? What motivates someone to salivate over their coming downfall?

This ain't the first time someone (not directed @MscleLovr ) has referred to the desperation of others as empowering just because of having some money to spend.

I had kind of an odd experience a few months ago (since quarantine started) with an Instagram influencer/model who has been on TV recently. I had liked several of his handsome shirtless pics on the days they were posted, I may have posted a comment or 2 (nothing graphic, just admiring) and he DMed me. At first it was friendly chat and then he offered to do a fitness consultation call. I was surprised but thought what the heck (jeez, what a sexy masculine voice he has). He soon messaged saying that for ($100? $300? I don’t remember right now), he would come up with a program for me that was guaranteed to get me to achieve all my goals and it just sounded too good to be true. Maybe it would work with weekly in-person meetings but not online/by phone, for me anyway. I’m about twice his age and I think people in their 20s can’t fully grasp how much harder it can be to get or stay fit once you’re not in your 20s anymore. Especially when it’s not part of your job to be in top shape, and in fact the job demands a LOT of desk time... But I’m sure he could help some other people. I had a really hot, knowledgeable trainer before I moved to DC and haven’t found an affordable one here yet.

Was it Brandon from Sean Cody?

...Most of those influencers on IG don't actually live that way - they are just good at looking like they do. They don't own the luxury cars they pose next too. The fabulous condos were borrowed or rented for a single day, etc....

Yeah, they wouldn't have many followers if they posed next to a 2003 Corolla or in their "vintage" studio in Boystown.

I don’t know if your comment is directed at me as my intent is speculation on the future of this industry and I wish everyone the best. The whole instagram phenomenon is fascinating to me. Though I’ll admit the ‘dad’ in me wishes some of these guys would get a real job and learn a trade or something, just for their own good.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. Extensive experience. And a good success rate. As mentioned in my posts #3, #27 and #41 in this thread.

My gratuitous advice:

Be very polite in your DMs,

Emphasise that you will be discreet about any meetings, and

Be generous in what you offer.

Good advice. I’m curious if you use your regular personal account or a different discreet/anonymous account when approaching them?

I used a separate account @Studsearcher as I thought it best when I started as a ‘modelizer’.

Overall, my results were good. Some guys said No, but quite a few guys accepted my invitation to dinner and some were happy to date. There were only 3 guys I was very keen to date who “got away” in that we couldn’t agree on when/where/what they wanted. I never encountered any real problems, but I did put a lot of effort into being very polite and generous early on in the meetings

• 2 months later...

Here's Serb model Nino Ceperkovic in Dubai at Atelier M. He's been in Dubai for a long time and sends all these photos of himself in expensive places. I can't imagine he's paying for that meal himself on a male model's salary. I wish I knew the real story behind these men...

Nino-Ceperkovic574.jpg

Here's Serb model Nino Ceperkovic in Dubai at Atelier M. He's been in Dubai for a long time and sends all these photos of himself in expensive places. I can't imagine he's paying for that meal himself on a male model's salary. I wish I knew the real story behind these men...

Nino-Ceperkovic574.jpg

I just hope they save money while they can. A young body and smooth skin fades faster than a cut flower in a vase.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Extensive experience. And a good success rate. As mentioned in my posts #3, #27 and #41 in this thread.

My gratuitous advice:

Be very polite in your DMs,

Emphasise that you will be discreet about any meetings, and

Be generous in what you offer.

one more, don't expect a bargain because he will be taking risks too and as an "influencer/instagrammer" has a lot more in jeopardy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ung8uVXgMpY

Nino-Ceperkovic574.jpg

Similar things have been said about a former American congressman who recently came out...

As you can imagine some pics are staged.

Using a Client’s Property as Their Social Media Backdrops | M4M Message Forum (m4m-forum.org)

Edited by marylander1940

Same with IG, it's like a vicious circle game where their self-worth is subjected to the size of their following. Prone to Anxiety and Depression.

I witnessed this first hand and it was truly heart breaking. I was with an influencer with a sizable following at a photo shoot. He posted some of the pics and told me “I’m about to break Instagram” before he posted some amazing shirtless pics. He was so disappointed when 24 hours later he only had 40k likes. He showed me the “glory days” of his account when 2 years prior, similar pictures would have 250k+ Likes. It was clear that he internalized this negatively. He compulsively checked the post and read the handful of comments, debating whether to engage with his followers to drum up more attention. I felt so bad for him. The pictures were stunning and accurately captured his amazing body. He couldn’t enjoy that, instead the focus was on his lack of Instagram popularity, and where it all went wrong.

I witnessed this first hand and it was truly heart breaking. I was with an influencer with a sizable following at a photo shoot. He posted some of the pics and told me “I’m about to break Instagram” before he posted some amazing shirtless pics. He was so disappointed when 24 hours later he only had 40k likes. He showed me the “glory days” of his account when 2 years prior, similar pictures would have 250k+ Likes. It was clear that he internalized this negatively. He compulsively checked the post and read the handful of comments, debating whether to engage with his followers to drum up more attention. I felt so bad for him. The pictures were stunning and accurately captured his amazing body. He couldn’t enjoy that, instead the focus was on his lack of Instagram popularity, and where it all went wrong.

Sadly, a familiar story. Zoomers, born after 1995, have higher rates of mental illness and body terror than any other generation. Coupled with their addiction to devices, they also report few or no friends. Their Instagram followers aren’t their friends.

... I was with an influencer with a sizable following at a photo shoot. He posted some of the pics and told me “I’m about to break Instagram” before he posted some amazing shirtless pics. He was so disappointed when 24 hours later he only had 40k likes....

3c1104153bce28346f26ef8df73bad8b.jpg

Interesting expose of the economics of modeling:

I can't imagine having a job in which I would have to sleep with men I wasn't interested, just to keep my job. Sad that this seems to be how it happens. I wonder if those entering the industry know that this is what they're getting into. I guess it's a danger of trying to live off of nothing but your good looks?

Another perspective from another model, Nic Palladino. I guess, as I thought, that one can rarely make it with modeling alone. He says you need a side job....