Young Actors

The_Impeccable_G
This topic is 986 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

35 minutes ago, jeezifonly said:

Of course. For Patricia Neway as Abbess. 

The Sound of Music on Broadway had so many twists and turns, it needed a much loved star who was also famous for Peter Pan on television. When I saw the musical in 1960, I liked the staging for several of Martin's song more than the movie with Julie Andrews. However the plot was clarified in the film.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 4:30 PM, WilliamM said:

The Sound of Music on Broadway had so many twists and turns, it needed a much loved star who was also famous for Peter Pan on television.

I'm assuming you didn't really mean this verbatim - but - what did you mean? :-)

1 hour ago, bostonman said:

I'm assuming you didn't really mean this verbatim - but - what did you mean? 🙂

Well, I saw the musical the day after Oscar Hammerstein died, so I may have been distracted by the crowd outside the Lunt Lynn Fontanne Theater both before and after the performance

Edited by WilliamM

What a great thread! Thanks to all above who have posted such well informed incites. For those in the know, I have a question. Any idea on how much the “casting couch” contributes to the success of good looking actors? From what you’ve heard, how many hot guys (appx %) are asked for sex in exchange for being cast in a role? How many of today’s successful actors fall into that category?

1 hour ago, hwic04 said:

What a great thread! Thanks to all above who have posted such well informed incites. For those in the know, I have a question. Any idea on how much the “casting couch” contributes to the success of good looking actors? From what you’ve heard, how many hot guys (appx %) are asked for sex in exchange for being cast in a role? How many of today’s successful actors fall into that category?

I can't really address things in terms of today, but I can speak from experience with one actor - someone who played a lead role in a Broadway revival, who then came to do a summerstock production of the same show in Boston about 8 years later - I was rehearsal pianist and in the orchestra. I wasn't aware of the goings-on until the intermission on closing night, when one of the chorus girls was crying inconsolably backstage. It seemed he had made all sorts of promises to her in exchange for you-know-what, and then essentially blew her off. But it gets better - it seems he had been making his way through the whole ensemble - supposedly the boys as well - with similar promises of getting them to Broadway, etc. But of course he was all full of shit. I also understand that when they went to clean the room he had been staying in, they found condom wrappers all over the place, etc. 

There have also been common rumors for years about someone on the production/casting side of Les Miserables on Broadway and for the national tour, who was essentially a casting couch for the young men playing Marius and his understudy. I do know at least 2 actors who were young at that time and who told me they were propositioned by him, so I tend to believe the rumors. He's still active in NYC. 

I tend to think that since "me too" has been a much more active force, incidents are probably much less. But I think we can be sure they do happen. 

Edited by bostonman

Random thoughts on the topic:

- What's the acting equivalent of tone-deaf? Because that's me. Even back in highschool, I was too self-conscious and OTT to be anything more than an extra. And I was only made into one because nobody else was available. Even I knew I was cast out of necessity (and pity).

- Limited experience on the brutality of the industry: I styled four actors (3 men, 1 woman) for magazine photoshoots back when I was still a full-time stylist 9 years ago. Not one of them has been in a role of any significance after all these years. Last I checked, two have moved on, one is still hanging on, and one pivoted to production although again, I don't even know whether he can call himself a fledgling producer in any capacity.

- One of the four actors I mentioned above created a GoFundMe for a short that he wants to create. I donated. The short film never materialized. And when I inquired (genuinely wanted to see it and not because I wanted to get my money's worth), he blocked me.

- My current celeb object of lust is 25-year-old Harrison Osterfield, Tom Holland's (MCU Spiderman) best friend and played Leopold in the never-got-past-its-freshman-season Netflix show "The Irregulars."

56 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

When I was a teen, I dreamed of taking a bath with Tony Dow, (Wally Cleaver).

Now I am Facebook friends with Tony Dow.

Now THAT's funny, lol. 

I'm still attracted to what I like to call the "Eddie Haskell" type - the guy who can turn on the charm but always has something mischievous going on underneath. I always thought it would be hot if Eddie tried to put the make on Wally, lol. 

5 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

Eddie said "Mrs Cleaver, what a beautiful dress, and Theodore  has improved his grades with that C-."

But imagine the things he could have said. “Gee, Wally, you’re really looking handsome in those new swim trunks…” 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 4:50 AM, hwic04 said:

Any idea on how much the “casting couch” contributes to the success of good looking actors? From what you’ve heard, how many hot guys (appx %) are asked for sex in exchange for being cast in a role?

I’ve heard rumours @hwic04. There were certain casting directors on TV and one movie director who wanted to get to know young male actors ‘much better’ before they were offered the job. I know 4 handsome young actors in LA and NYC and 1 in Brazil - 100% reported being hit on for sex.