HBOGO - what happened?

This topic is 1217 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Thanks, Kevin. Much appreciated.

For some reason I am finding it hard to understand this situation. Am I correct in thinking that to have access to all of HBO's offerings I will need the app HBO Max? But it is not yet offered on Roku, which service I use? I'll have to pay the monthly fee for it so what's the point of having HBO through my cable company? The last bit is interesting. Are Showtime and Cinemax et al going to move to apps? Is this another stage in the end of cable?

Thanks.

Thanks, Kevin. Much appreciated.

For some reason I am finding it hard to understand this situation. Am I correct in thinking that to have access to all of HBO's offerings I will need the app HBO Max? But it is not yet offered on Roku, which service I use? I'll have to pay the monthly fee for it so what's the point of having HBO through my cable company? The last bit is interesting. Are Showtime and Cinemax et al going to move to apps? Is this another stage in the end of cable?

Thanks.

Because there is a dispute (monetary/licensing) between the companies. When that dispute is resolved the app will back on roku.

So yes, you’ll need to get hbo Max to view hbo content as they are killing all their subsidiary apps and consolidating the service under the one app.

Some people can get hbo Max for free depending on the cable provider. For instance, if you have cable, internet, or a phone plan through at&t you could definitely get hbo Max for free. You just won’t be able to stream it through roku until whatever issues are resolved between the 2 companies.

some people are pissed that in effect hbo is forcing customers who have hbo cable and use hbo go to pay for a separate hbo service.

• 4 months later...

Is this done? The article (from yesterday) says "starting Thursday", but I'm not seeing HBO Max as an option on my Roku just now.

So I just checked my roku enabled smart TV. It’s not in the initial tv line up. However, when I looked under the “Recommended” channel section, there was the HBO Max icon. I just added it to the tv.