Is the gaydar a myth or something that truly exists?

socurious
This topic is 1244 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it's a shared look, a feeling that "I've got the same secret that you do". I wonder if gaydar will peter out as being gay becomes less and less a thing to hide.

When I first came out, I visited Minneapolis and wondered if my gaydar was defective, it seemed like SO many guys were setting it off. Turned out I was staying in the gayborhood.

IMHO, I think Gaydar is a result of trying to find signs in others that they are like us. Straight people generally don't have it because they assume everyone is straight. Gays, on the other hand, are more open to others being Gay like themselves and maybe even unconsciously look for characteristically gay movements, behaviors, tones of voice, eye movements, and other clues. Notice that many Gay men don't have Gaydar when it comes to lesbians (except, of course, for the Ellen DeGeneres type - which is a dead giveaway - and straights can pick those out too), because in general, our attention is searching for others that are Gay men, "like us."

With the effeminate guys it can be too obvious. So I'm not truly referring to those but more like your conventional "straight-acting" (I hate having to use this term) folks. In my case many times I can just tell they are gay. It's something unnatural. I can also tell if other people know I am gay without me disclosing it.

My gaydar is good when it really counts. I remember a cute neighbor who had only male visitors. We knew each other.I was sure he was not gay, but he might have been bi.

He was married to women before we met and after we lost contact. But, he was single for the 12 years we were friends.

Gaydar may be good at reading gay guys who send off a particular set of vibes, but the real question for me is whether it can pick up, with 95% accuracy, all gay guys. How many gay guys go under the gaydar because they don’t put off the vibes?

If gaydar is 95% accurate in the cases that put off vibes, but say only 75% of gay guys put off vibes (being generous here), that means out of 100 gay guys, you’d only identify 70ish%.

Gaydar may be good at reading gay guys who send off a particular set of vibes, but the real question for me is whether it can pick up, with 95% accuracy, all gay guys. How many gay guys go under the gaydar because they don’t put off the vibes?

If gaydar is 95% accurate in the cases that put off vibes, but say only 75% of gay guys put off vibes (being generous here), that means out of 100 gay guys, you’d only identify 70ish%.

So 70% is not enough for you? You are such a hot stud that you need 100% of the gay population to satisfy tour needs? Oh pls give us a break...

My friends have always had much better gaydar than me. One friend used to occasionally point to some hot guy and say to me, "See that guy over there? He's definitely gay--he just doesn't know it yet!"

Me, I'm totally clueless. Not only cannot I not tell who's gay, but I could never tell when anyone was interested in me; It's probably why I'm so damaged now (just kidding!) :)