Confession-I'm Not That Fond Of Lettuce

Gar1eth
This topic is 1347 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I order a hamburger or a deli sandwich, I usually either get it without or take it off afterwards. I'll eat salads, and I like lettuce there. But it's not really enough to make me want to buy a head of lettuce. And there are repeated news stories about bagged salads being contaminated.

So I've lately I've been making a non lettuce salad consisting of chopped red onions, cherry tomatoes, and sliced olives in Ken's Steakhouse Lite Vinaigrette. It's delicious!!

One of these days I'm going to add mushrooms and maybe a very small amount of sliced banana peppers.

IMG_0810.jpg?raw=1

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d eat that any day! You could also add that to a sandwich.

Thanks. I've also been thinking of adding some pepperoni or come to think of it some salami to it. But kosher salami is expensive these days. The only two stores I know around here where you can buy it are at a few Costcos (but I'm not a member), and at a gourmet grocery called Central Market. There might be a few delis where you can buy it, but it would be even more expensive there.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me it was easier to find kosher salami when I was growing up. On the other hand, I grew up in city with only about 70 to 100 Jewish families. It's possible that only one or two grocery stores carried it, all the Jews bought it from those stores, and those stores happened to be my Mom's usual stores.

Gman

You might look for Boar’s Head. They prepack a lot of their meats at reasonable prices. I’m not sure about kosher, I’ve never looked.

I doubt it's kosher. And it's not like I keep kosher. But that's the type of salami I grew up with.

Gman

I am 40+ yo... in the past year or so I stopped eating beets. Ate them my entire life.. just because. I do not enjoy them. So I stopped.

I have substituted lettuce with spinach on burgers, sandwiches etc. . Iceberg is basically roughage. Little to No flavor and mostly water.

I fully support that approach! If you don't like something, don't eat it! :)

I doubt it's kosher. And it's not like I keep kosher. But that's the type of salami I grew up with.

Gman

Just to clarify....some salamis will be made only with pork....

many are a mix of pork & beef

kosher salami would of course only be made with koshered beef....

in the States, the brand “Hebrew National” kosher salami is a bit more costly than non-kosher but really not by much.....

Availability of / access to “HN” brand products should be pretty widespread in stores in most all parts of the country.....

(also some salamis can ship without refrigeration, so online purchases are likely options too)

(After a couple months of hiding out in Israel, my plans have me flying out this coming Thursday....we’ll see....for any number of reasons this departure could change & be delayed)

When I order a hamburger or a deli sandwich, I usually either get it without or take it off afterwards. I'll eat salads, and I like lettuce there. But it's not really enough to make me want to buy a head of lettuce. And there are repeated news stories about bagged salads being contaminated.

So I've lately I've been making a non lettuce salad consisting of chopped red onions, cherry tomatoes, and sliced olives in Ken's Steakhouse Lite Vinaigrette. It's delicious!!

One of these days I'm going to add mushrooms and maybe a very small amount of sliced banana peppers.

IMG_0810.jpg?raw=1

Gman

That looks tasty!! For me, I’d take chopped lettuce and substitute out the onions

I grew up in a predominately Jewish neighborhood of Los Angeles. Many of the products my mother used in cooking were kosher simply because they were readily available. My dad who had been born in Slovenia absolutely loved kosher salami. Most of my playmates were Jewish and by simple exposure I learned to use numerous Yiddish words and expressions. Year later when I started teaching my school was located in an area where many Jewish doctors and their families lived. One day one of my students asked me if I was Jewish. When I asked why he asked he explained that I used a lot of Yiddish words and expressions in the classroom. I had never realized that I used them. Interestingly enough I still do.

I’m not much on iceberg lettuce except in hard shelled tacos. I tend to eat lots of salads but usually with red and green leaf lettuce and romaine. I also love spinach salads. I frequently call my salads “garbage salads” because I slice up and throw in any vegetable I have on hand. I make from scratch all of my own salad dressings. Fresh salad dressing are so much better than bottled ones.

Edited by Epigonos

Gman

Just to clarify....some salamis will be made only with pork....

many are a mix of pork & beef

kosher salami would of course only be made with koshered beef....

This thread made me think. I oversimplified when I implied that Hebrew National was the only type of salami I was accustomed to having. I had forgotten that my Mom also used to buy me Oscar Mayer's Cotto Salami. That may have had pork in it although I think there may be a beef only version. That's the salami with the peppercorns in it.

[quote="wklukas, post: 1945992, member: 21384"in the States, the brand “Hebrew National” kosher salami is a bit more costly than non-kosher but really not by much.....

Availability of / access to “HN” brand products should be pretty widespread in stores in most all parts of the country.....

(also some salamis can ship without refrigeration, so online purchases are likely options too)

Hebrew National products aren't isn't quite as easy to find here in the South. The hot dogs are available lots of places. But not so much the salami. And I just looked on their site-there are a few complaints that even in places where the salami is normally available, some customers can't find it on site or online. But I was talking about the routine situation here in N Texas-not anything brought on by the pandemic. At Costco the salami comes all wrapped up. I think at Central Market it's in their Deli Section, and they slice it for you.

(After a couple months of hiding out in Israel, my plans have me flying out this coming Thursday....we’ll see....for any number of reasons this departure could change & be delays

Travel safely.

That looks tasty!! For me, I’d take chopped lettuce and substitute out the onions

But no onions? ?

Gman

I do the same thing sometimes. Tomatoes, red onions, sliced mushrooms, sliced black olives, bacon bits, French fried onions, some crumbled feta cheese topped with Ken’s honey balsamic dressing.

If you want a light “summer” salad, Jersey tomatoes and red onions with a dash of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and red-wine vinegar. You can add some sliced cucumber if you like. That and a nice piece of crusty Italian bread is a great summer lunch.

...lately I've been making a non lettuce salad consisting of chopped red onions, cherry tomatoes, and sliced olives in Ken's Steakhouse Lite Vinaigrette. It's delicious!!...

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM. Can't eat onions, but chopped veggies instead of lettuce is delish!

...When I order a hamburger or a deli sandwich, I usually either get it without or take it off afterwards. I'll eat salads, and I like lettuce there....

Right on! People look at me funny when I ask for the lettuce and tomato to be deleted from burgers and sandwiches. To me, the lettuce adds nothing except a wilted leaf.

...One of these days I'm going to add mushrooms and maybe a very small amount of sliced banana peppers....

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM-er. :)

I might be wrong, but it seems to me it was easier to find kosher salami when I was growing up....

Hear, hear!

...On the other hand, I grew up in city with only about 70 to 100 Jewish families. It's possible that only one or two grocery stores carried it, all the Jews bought it from those stores, and those stores happened to be my Mom's usual stores.....

That could be the case. Growing up in Chicago, with its large Polish and Italian populations, any store whose deli did not sell a variety of sausages would not stay in business for very long. My recollection is the national chains (A&P, Kroger, and National) did not have a wide variety of deli meats. such as kosher salami, but Jewel and Dominick's did. Of course, the family-owned grocers that replaced the defunct A&P, Kroger, and National stores carried a dizzying variety of deli products.

One other contributing factor (I think) is the emergence of "deli programs" by the large companies like Boar's Head, Kretschmar, and Dietz and Watson. Basically, the supermarket gets what they supply. Imagine my surprise and glee when I walked into Safeway and they sold Krakus Polish ham. I was practically giddy! The deli lady explained that Phoenix has a very large expat Chicagoan population and therefore they sell it. Kroger-owned Fry's looked at me like I had sprouted a third head when I asked for Polish ham.

If you want a light “summer” salad, Jersey tomatoes and red onions with a dash of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and red-wine vinegar. You can add some sliced cucumber if you like. That and a nice piece of crusty Italian bread is a great summer lunch.

Definitely add seedless cucumber....& also both some green pepper and some red pepper.....chop all veggies.....voilà Israeli (Mediterranean) salad....(by personal preference, we mostly use rice wine vinegar)

I grew up in a predominately Jewish neighborhood of Los Angeles. Many of the products my mother used in cooking were kosher simply because they were readily available. My dad who had been born in Slovenia absolutely loved kosher salami. Most of my playmates were Jewish and by simple exposure I learned to use numerous Yiddish words and expressions. Year later when I started teaching my school was located in an area where many Jewish doctors and their families lived. One day one of my students asked me if I was Jewish. When I asked why he asked he explained that I used a lot of Yiddish words and expressions in the classroom. I had never realized that I used them. Interestingly enough I still do.

I’m not much on iceberg lettuce except in hard shelled tacos. I tend to eat lots of salads but usually with red and green leaf lettuce and romaine. I also love spinach salads. I frequently call my salads “garbage salads” because I slice up and throw in any vegetable I have on hand. I make from scratch all of my own salad dressings. Fresh salad dressing are so much better than bottled ones.

So when was it that you first tasted a kosher salami?

IMG_0810.jpg?raw=1

Gman

Looks like a soupy gazpacho! We're glad to know about your healthy diet @Gar1eth ! Looks delicious!

I love all kinds of lettuce but crunchy romaine is my favorite!

Thanks. I've also been thinking of adding some pepperoni or come to think of it some salami to it. But kosher salami is expensive these days. The only two stores I know around here where you can buy it are at a few Costcos (but I'm not a member), and at a gourmet grocery called Central Market. There might be a few delis where you can buy it, but it would be even more expensive there.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me it was easier to find kosher salami when I was growing up. On the other hand, I grew up in city with only about 70 to 100 Jewish families. It's possible that only one or two grocery stores carried it, all the Jews bought it from those stores, and those stores happened to be my Mom's usual stores.

Gman

Instead of the pepperoni, I would try mozzarella. Italians and Jews have lived in the same neighborhoods for decades and many of the traditional foods complement each other, Italian wedding soup with tiny matzo balls is a favorite from my local Italian deli.

This thread made me think. I oversimplified when I implied that Hebrew National was the only type of salami I was accustomed to having. I had forgotten that my Mom also used to buy me Oscar Mayer's Cotto Salami. That may have had pork in it although I think there may be a beef only version. That's the salami with the peppercorns in

Gman

The only salami I thought there was growing up was OM Cotto Salami with the peppercorns! And, yes, they made an all beef version. We weren’t kosher, or Jewish for that matter, but that’s all we ate!

Instead of the pepperoni, I would try mozzarella. Italians and Jews have lived in the same neighborhoods for decades and many of the traditional foods complement each other, Italian wedding soup with tiny matzo balls is a favorite from my local Italian deli.

I'm not big on cheese-esp large masses of cheese by itself. I always tell people that I only eat cheese on pizza and cheesecake. It's not a 100% accurate statement as I've expanded my cheese repertoire slightly as I've gotten older. But as a second approximation of my actual likes, it's fairly accurate.

Gman

I'm not big on cheese-esp large masses of cheese by itself. I always tell people that I only eat cheese on pizza and cheesecake. It's not a 100% accurate statement as I've expanded my cheese repertoire slightly as I've gotten older. But as a second approximation of my actual likes, it's fairly accurate.

Gman

Grate the mozzarella with the slice part of an old fashioned cheese grater