I HATE walking!

Epigonos
This topic is 1383 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I walk three to five miles a day six days a week. I always walk alone because my friends won’t or aren’t able to walk at my pace. I walk for exercise. I certainly don’t walk for pleasure thus I DO NOT stroll or sounder. For forty five years I worked out at various gyms. People working out at bodybuilding gyms tend to wipe down the weights and equipment both before and after they use them. People “working out” at spa gyms don’t and although my current spa gym is open many people don’t even bother to wear masks or to social distance, thus I WALK. I absolutely HATE ever minute I walk from my first step to my last step and I don’t feel wonderfully accomplished/satisfied upon the completion of my daily walks. Feeling the way I do why you might ask do I do it? The reason is simple I’ll be eighty in October and at that age I sincerely believe I MUST be doing active exercise or I will end up house bound in Lazy-Boy chair and that I just “ain’t” about to let happen. HOWEVER, I still hate walking!!!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walk three to five miles a day six days a week. I always walk alone because my friends won’t or aren’t able to walk at my pace. I walk for exercise. I certainly don’t walk for pleasure thus I DO NOT stroll or sounder. For forty five years I worked out at various gyms. People working out at bodybuilding gyms tend to wipe down the weights and equipment both before and after they use them. People “working out” at spa gyms don’t and although my current spa gym is open many people don’t even bother to wear masks or to social distance, thus I WALK. I absolutely HATE ever minute I walk from my first step to my last step and I don’t feel wonderfully accomplished/satisfied upon the completion of my daily walks. Feeling the way I do why you might ask do I do it? The reason is simple I’ll be eighty in October and at that age I sincerely believe I MUST be doing active exercise or I will end up house bound in Lazy-Boy chair and that I just “ain’t” about to let happen. HOWEVER, I still hate walking!!!!!

You should be very thankful that at your age you can walk those distances, and so often at that. I would like to walk like that.

I should be walking more. When I had a gym downstairs, I would at least walk at the maximum incline on a treadmill for a half hour or more every day of the week and then also do whatever walking around town I had to do (I don't own a car). With the pandemic, my gym is closed and there aren't many destinations to walk to. Sometimes I take walks just to get exercise, but I have to say that I wish the center of San Francisco where I live wasn't such a cesspool; it certainly doesn't make me inclined to go out for a walk just to do so when I encounter aggressive people, needles, feces, garbage strewn all over that forces me to walk in the street, and other potential hazards or just generally unpleasant things. It's nice when I have a friend who drives me to a different area of the city so I can not only walk in a hillier area but also one that isn't plagued with all of the public health hazards that San Francisco's city center has.

I love walking from my place near Meridian Hill Park to the museums in the Mall and back. I just love it!

I should be walking more. When I had a gym downstairs, I would at least walk at the maximum incline on a treadmill for a half hour or more every day of the week and then also do whatever walking around town I had to do (I don't own a car). With the pandemic, my gym is closed and there aren't many destinations to walk to. Sometimes I take walks just to get exercise, but I have to say that I wish the center of San Francisco where I live wasn't such a cesspool; it certainly doesn't make me inclined to go out for a walk just to do so when I encounter aggressive people, needles, feces, garbage strewn all over that forces me to walk in the street, and other potential hazards or just generally unpleasant things. It's nice when I have a friend who drives me to a different area of the city so I can not only walk in a hillier area but also one that isn't plagued with all of the public health hazards that San Francisco's city center has.

Market St is pretty decent and you can walk all around the Bay or even better go up and down the hills. Using a treadmill in SF? You're lucky to live in one of the most walkable cities in the country, it's always worth it going up a hill just to see the view.

Take the Geary express to Sutro baths ruins and from there walk along the coast to the Golden Gate and either Uber or walk back home. If you get the muni in your iPhone an all day bus pass is only $5.

If there's a will there's a way!

Edited by marylander1940

Well Marylander1940 walking in San Francisco isn't what it once was. My niece lives in a beautiful Victorian a block from Dolores Park. She used to walk with her two small children in her neighborhood and in Dolores Park. She no longer feels safe doing so because of the reasons stated by maninsoma and even though she and here husband love living where they do they are planning to sell and move in the very near future.

Edited by Epigonos

May I ask why you hate walking?

I'm asking because I LOVE walking! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE walking! Can't comprehend that someone would not love walking. The one thing I don't like about living in Arizona is walking is not pleasant during the summer.

I hate walking / running too. In fact, at the height of the local pandemic panic,

I asked a work out buddy if we could go for a cross country run in the woods.

His response?...”Wow, it’s gotten that bad, huh?”

To answer the question, I’d suggest finding a trainer that can bring some workout

equipment to your house. You don’t need much, you’re just looking to keep

moving, not be the next Arnold. You avoid the unwashed masses, you get to

spend some time with a cute dude, you get some exercise, and you don’t have

to walk.

Win, win, win, win.

Well Marylander1940 walking in San Francisco isn't what it once was. My niece lives in a beautiful Victorian a block from Dolores Park. She used to walk with her two small children in her neighborhood and in Dolores Park. She no longer feels safe doing so because of the reasons stated by maninsoma and even though she and here husband love living when they do they are planning to sell and move in the very near future.

And the neighborhood where your niece lives is still a lot nicer than mine! It's actually one of the neighborhoods I like to walk in since the area between Dolores Park and the Castro has a lot of steep hills. In addition to all of the problems I listed previously, it's also quite flat where I live. There are some directions I can walk where I will encounter a slight hill after about 10 minutes, but it takes at least a half hour for me to walk to any area with truly steep hills. I had started what was a rant about the decline of San Francisco over the past several years but decided to delete it. Like your niece, I am looking forward to getting out of this place and I absolutely loved living in San Francisco when I first moved here 35 years ago and didn't begin to truly hate it until the past five or so years.

Well Marylander1940 walking in San Francisco isn't what it once was. My niece lives in a beautiful Victorian a block from Dolores Park. She used to walk with her two small children in her neighborhood and in Dolores Park. She no longer feels safe doing so because of the reasons stated by maninsoma and even though she and here husband love living when they do they are planning to sell and move in the very near future.

They'll make a hell of a great deal if they sale in SF and buy in Texas or any other place.

I do see homeless when I walk in SF but I don't fear them I feel sorry for them and I wish Reagan had kept them institutionalized when he was Governor.

I have always enjoyed walking, as long as I can do it at my own pace, and in a location where there is something interesting to see that I would miss or be unable to savor if I were in a vehicle. I don't do it for exercise, unless there is no other way for me to get exercise. I hate walking on a treadmill.

And the neighborhood where your niece lives is still a lot nicer than mine! It's actually one of the neighborhoods I like to walk in since the area between Dolores Park and the Castro has a lot of steep hills. In addition to all of the problems I listed previously, it's also quite flat where I live. There are some directions I can walk where I will encounter a slight hill after about 10 minutes, but it takes at least a half hour for me to walk to any area with truly steep hills. I had started what was a rant about the decline of San Francisco over the past several years but decided to delete it. Like your niece, I am looking forward to getting out of this place and I absolutely loved living in San Francisco when I first moved here 35 years ago and didn't begin to truly hate it until the past five or so years.

I wish I could walk up hill. I was in San Francisco last year and walked downhill eight blocks to Market street ever day but couldn't make it back to my hotel without an Uber.

As a New Yorker I can relate. We tend to walk quite a bit - one of the best ways to get around in Manhattan. I had to get used to it - I moved here from a more rural city where I drove for the most part. It was quite a change, especially when you consider the way most New Yorkers walk - they walk like they have some place to be and are running late! After all these years I am practically a grey hound!

d4f80c158411af5b0b6f6c6374a17413.jpg

I've got three speeds for walking. I've got a power walking friend that we plough through 6km in about 45 minutes. I've got a dawdler friend that I manage to get 3km in about an hour, as they need to sit every 1/2km to rest. And I've got my own pace where I read or write while I'm walking, often around a track so I don't have to pay attention to the surroundings.

I prefer hiking to walking. Are there any hiking possibilities around you as an alternative to walking in the City?

Rvwnsd the reason I hate walking is that I'm NOT doing it for pleasure I'm doing it for exercise. My walking pace is eight to ten minutes per mile. At my age I'm concerned about tripping and falling thus I keep my head down because the sidewalks are so terribly uneven. I glance up only occasionally so I'm aware of my surroundings and any people approaching me. Even if I could find someone to walk with me at my pace I'm not sure I would do it. I'm very interested in building up a sweat and at my pace I tend to breathe through my mouth and I'm not interested in conversing.

Edited by Epigonos

WilliamM it's a great suggestion BUT I just happen to hate jogging and running even more than I do walking. If I had my druthers I'd sit on my ass all day reading in my air conditioned house. Unfortunately at my age the old adage "Use it or lose it" is perfectly appropriate.

WilliamM it's a great suggestion BUT I just happen to hate jogging and running even more than I do walking. If I had my druthers I'd sit on my ass all day reading in my air conditioned house. Unfortunately at my age the old adage "Use it or lose it" is perfectly appropriate.

To maintain a level of fitness to be able to walk for exercise regularly at 80 years old is commendable!!!

So if you want to rant about how much you hate it, then feel free to do so, because you EARNED IT!!!

keep up the great work!!! ??

IMO it is good you are in touch with your hatred of walking. ?

Nevertheless, kudos and stay hydrated.

There is no harm in running in place occasionally. I enjoy jogging, running, walking and running in place. You did write that you hate walking. Right?

Congratulations on teaching in highschool for many years. Could you remind me what subjects you taught. Just hope it wasn't current events. (Smile!)

When I turned 70, I Googled "How much exercise does a 70-year-old man need?". It said that 7,000 steps a day - half of which is at a brisk pace - should do the trick. For me that's about three miles and it takes less than an hour. I live on the side of a hill so I get a little cardio too.

Last year a friend told me that my iPhone has been counting my steps since I first turned it on, as well as the floors I've climbed. Just checked and, for the last year, I've averaged over 8,000 steps and a dozen floors a day. So I figure I've got it covered.

I'm in a semi-rural area so the views are nice but walking can be pretty boring. To make it more enjoyable, I usually have my afternoon bowl before I set out and let the entertaining thoughts flow.

By the time I'm home, I'm ready for dinner. ?

I know that, for some folks, this regimen will call forth a spate of "I hate weed!" and that's fine. For me, it's important not to hate anything that keeps me active or I'd stop doing it.

Good gosh, look at the time! Those steps aren't going to take themselves. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

WShimz86_400x400.jpg

Edited by Lookin