WTF ... Microsoft Edge

wsc
This topic is 1391 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I recently underwent an unsolicited upgrade to Microsoft Edge. In the gallery forum, I can no longer save an image as a jpeg, even though that's the image's format. Please tell me (a) I'm not the only one afflicted with this, (b) somebody here knows how to fix this, © they will share that fix, and (d) all the people at Microsoft have died their well-deserved deaths. And, yes, I'm working on my anger issues.

But this didn't help.

I recently underwent an unsolicited upgrade to Microsoft Edge. In the gallery forum, I can no longer save an image as a jpeg, even though that's the image's format. Please tell me (a) I'm not the only one afflicted with this, (b) somebody here knows how to fix this, © they will share that fix, and (d) all the people at Microsoft have died their well-deserved deaths. And, yes, I'm working on my anger issues.

But this didn't help.

So far Edge has been my worst experience when it comes to browsers. I would recommend you switch to Firefox - that is what I use. ??‍♂️

https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-new-microsoft-edge-10-rules-to-take-control-of-your-browser/

error

To Coriolis, I saw your post, which now seems to be deleted, and I looked into the possibility you raised. However, it didn't apply. The change in Edge seems to be a legitimate upgrade to the program.

Also, and to my embarrassment, my reaction, including initiation of this thread, must now be consigned to a cause best described as "someone moved my food dish." Being an old dog, this is almost always a problem for me.

I have noticed that, on occasion, an image posted in the Gallery cannot be saved unless it is left-clicked so that the image opens in a smaller version which can then be copied. When the smaller version is closed, you are returned to view the larger version. Most images are not like this, but the one I picked was.

In the previous version of Edge, an attempt to Save the larger image was simply ignored, clueing you into the need to left click. In the new Edge version, you are given the option to Save the image as a WEBP in any one of three options. If you do this, you only magnify your problems. The appropriate action is to left-click as before, then Save the smaller version (JPEG) as before. Those images not formatted in the forum in the way necessitating the left-click are Saved in the same manner as before.

To add to my chagrin, I had worked on the "problem" for 40 minutes before posting my plea for help.

And to FrankR, I agree Edge is cantankerous concoction, but having made my adjustments and concessions to it, I can hobble along better with it, I think, than with another "newfangled" nuisance. This will save me from another of my Dorothy Parker imitations of "What fresh hell is this?" But I do thank you for your response.

To others who may read here, feel free to chuckle at my folly, and accept my apology as you return to a lower level of drama and hysterics. Bonne nuit.

To Coriolis, I saw your post, which now seems to be deleted, and I looked into the possibility you raised. However, it didn't apply. The change in Edge seems to be a legitimate upgrade to the program.

Also, and to my embarrassment, my reaction, including initiation of this thread, must now be consigned to a cause best described as "someone moved my food dish." Being an old dog, this is almost always a problem for me.

I have noticed that, on occasion, an image posted in the Gallery cannot be saved unless it is left-clicked so that the image opens in a smaller version which can then be copied. When the smaller version is closed, you are returned to view the larger version. Most images are not like this, but the one I picked was.

In the previous version of Edge, an attempt to Save the larger image was simply ignored, clueing you into the need to left click. In the new Edge version, you are given the option to Save the image as a WEBP in any one of three options. If you do this, you only magnify your problems. The appropriate action is to left-click as before, then Save the smaller version (JPEG) as before. Those images not formatted in the forum in the way necessitating the left-click are Saved in the same manner as before.

To add to my chagrin, I had worked on the "problem" for 40 minutes before posting my plea for help.

And to FrankR, I agree Edge is cantankerous concoction, but having made my adjustments and concessions to it, I can hobble along better with it, I think, than with another "newfangled" nuisance. This will save me from another of my Dorothy Parker imitations of "What fresh hell is this?" But I do thank you for your response.

To others who may read here, feel free to chuckle at my folly, and accept my apology as you return to a lower level of drama and hysterics. Bonne nuit.

I pretty much use chrome and stay away from ms browsers; have you thought about switching to another browser?

Yes, Edge was updated in a recent Windows 10 update. I think Microsoft is really trying to push the use of Edge because, as far as I can tell, the only purpose of the recent Windows 10 update was to promote Edge.

If you don't want to switch to a different browser, you can save photos you are viewing in Edge (or any other browser) by using Windows snipping tool. It's under Windows Accessories under your list of programs. It isn't as simple as mouse click save as, but it's easy to use and the benefit is that it allows you to save any area of your screen, not just an isolated element such as a jpg that's being displayed. For example, if you wanted to save the text of a guy's ad you could do that. You basically just select what you want to grab (if it's a photo, you will simply draw a box around the photo in question) and then save what you indicated to a filename of your choice.