Novak Djokovic tests positive for COVID19

WilliamM
This topic is 1394 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The #1 male tennis player and his wife both were tested in Belgrade and were found to have the virus. From The Guardian and also Eurosport.

Several articles identified Djokovic as being anti-vaccine in relation to COVID19. I believe he said not sure about vaccines. Not a good position when you are hosting tournaments in Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro and possibly Bosnia.

Edited by WilliamM

It's not just Djokovic; Grigor Dimitrov, Victor Troicki and Borna Coric have so far tested posititve, too. They have all been playing together in the same exhibition "tournament" organized by Djokovic, in front of packed crowds with no CoVid restrictions in the stands or on the court, and the players have been socializing in public at the same time. If it turns out that spectators, linesmen and even ballkids start testing positive as well, Novak is going to find himself facing some hostile fans once he steps out of the "Balkan bubble" he has been living in.

Well, exhibition tennis in Serbia and Croatia for charity is not a terrible idea, but Novak putting a family member in charge was a mistake. Pray that nobody is really sick, especially Gregor.

I don't know that it made any difference who was in charge of the tournament. Serbia had lifted all CoVid restrictions--no social distancing, no limits on numbers of spectators, no face masks, etc.--and Novak was openly happy about that. He participated in basketball games with the other players, took them and their friends around Belgrade, posting photos of them enjoying themselves in public places, and generally promoted the idea that it was great to do everything "normally" again, as though there were no virus. Croatia did apparently try to limit the number of spectators in attendance on the second weekend in Zadar, but didn't publicize that fact. The live TV broadcasts frequently focused on the people in the stands huddled together chatting and enjoying the lovely summer weather.

I heard nothing on the English commentary about the fact that Serbian elections were going on at the same time, with the incumbent administration looking to be returned to power. Just saying....

Zadar seems like a much more appropriate place for a tennis exhibition tournament during COVID-19. It has a relatively limited number of places to dance and drink. And it is certainly not Hvar or Dubrovnik. I can't comment on Belgrade.

Novak should play at the US Open and soon after in Paris. Otherwise, it may be difficult to put this tournament behind.

Zadar seems like a much more appropriate place for a tennis exhibition tournament during COVID-19. It has a relatively limited number of places to dance and drink. And it is certainly not Hvar or Dubrovnik. I can't comment on Belgrade.

Novak should play at the US Open and soon after in Paris. Otherwise, it may be difficult to put this tournament behind.

I guess you are assuming he will get healthy again, That is probably the same assumption he made. Not a wise one to my mind.

Djokovic can easily afford the best medical care in the world. But, he may have to leave Belgrade

It does not matter. Many patients suffer long lasting damages to the lung or kidney. Even some asymptomatic cases show lung injuries. Not a good thing for a top tennis player who fussed about what he eat to keep himself in top shape.

and the players have been socializing in public at the same time.

Specifically, Djokovic and crew were spotted at a club dancing around shirtless mingling with people. What an idiot. And this comes a few weeks after Novak complained about not being able to bring his entourage to the U.S. Open and the designated "bubble hotel" he'd have to stay at in NYC.

Gregor Dimitrov flew from Los Angeles to Serbia and then to Bulgaria and then Monaco before arriving in Croatia.

Gorin Ivanovich

But even Serbian Ivanovich admitted the limbo dance, in which he participated, might have been over the top.

Comment: Gregor was free to fly wherever he wanted. He didn't break any rules. That was the problem: no rules.

Edited by WilliamM

Do any of them have children, or are we talking about a possible case of the Darwin effect? Total idiots, the whole lot of them.

Djokovic said their young son tested negative. I saw him in the stands when his father was playing in Belgrade, but I doubt that they took him clubbing with them at night.

I guess you are assuming he will get healthy again, That is probably the same assumption he made. Not a wise one to my mind.

My comments about the different between Belgrade and Zadar was something I know about. I never pretended to be an expert on COVID19. Never.

My comments about the different between Belgrade and Zadar was something I know about. I never pretended to be an expert on COVID19. Never.

You said he should play in the US Open and then Paris. I stated that you assumed he was going to get better. I never said anything about Covid just that you must have assumed he would get better. If you did not assume that, I do not see how he could play tennis. I made that statement that he probably assumed the same thing, Most people get better but even professional athletes are subject to bad outcomes. Even ones who dance in the face of common sense. Certainly I made no mention at all of your knowledge or lack of it regarding Balkan cities. You could be, for all I know, the kind of person who could tun the category of Balkan Cities on Jeopardy.

You said he should play in the US Open and then Paris. I stated that you assumed he was going to get better. I never said anything about Covid just that you must have assumed he would get better. If you did not assume that, I do not see how he could play tennis. I made that statement that he probably assumed the same thing, Most people get better but even professional athletes are subject to bad outcomes. Even ones who dance in the face of common sense. Certainly I made no mention at all of your knowledge or lack of it regarding Balkan cities. You could be, for all I know, the kind of person who could tun the category of Balkan Cities on Jeopardy.

Actually I like the idea of a Jeopardy Category of Balkan/Balkan't. List a series of three cities and give the answer. Balkan for each one in the Balkans and Balkan't if it is not. Balkan Balkant for 600. Tirana Riga. Sofia.

I was posting about his Tennis career and how Novak Djokovic could recover from a major blunder. It doesn't surprise me that his parents are now blaming Gregor Dimitrov and not the lack of safety concerns in Serbia and Croatia. I have attended the United States Open, The French Open and the Australia Open.

Yeah, what douchebags.

grigor-dimitrov-explains-reason-for-pulling-out-of-novak-djokovic-clash-.jpg

But it makes one wonder what the prevalence is in the general population? How many have been exposed? I wish they would do more antibody testing of the general population.

Actually I like the idea of a Jeopardy Category of Balkan/Balkan't. List a series of three cities and give the answer. Balkan for each one in the Balkans and Balkan't if it is not. Balkan Balkant for 600. Tirana Riga. Sofia.

Huh?

Sarajevo and Mostar, Bosnia were nearly destroyed during the war with Serbia and Croatia. During the Clinton Administration.