Was it wrong to laugh?

purplekow
This topic is 1375 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There is a commercial 4 lane highway (2 lanes in each direction) near my home. I was running out to buy some dog food and as I was waiting for the light to let me cross and head northbound, two truck passed, each with a person in the back holding a Trump 2020 flag. As I entered, I noticed the flag from the lead truck fly out and the flag pole break through the windshield of the one behind it , causing the the second flag to go flying past my car. Once I realized I was safe, I just passed them and could not control my laughter, Is it wrong to laugh at the misfortune of others, even others who are completely reckless in their support of something or someone with who you disagree? Well perhaps not wreck less.

No one was injured as far as I could tell. Please try to keep to topic and keep this in the lounge.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it’s called schadenfreude, the reward of something, usually humour or smug satisfaction, at someone’s expense. You might laugh accompanied by compassion ... think a friend spilling something but not injured ... so it may be reflexive. Ironically, we may overthink it if the mishap occurs to somebody we view with contempt, slapstick flavour or not. In other words, the less compassion the more potential guilt.

Hope your pooch appreciates your risks.

I think it’s called schadenfreude, the reward of something, usually humour or smug satisfaction, at someone’s expense. You might laugh accompanied by compassion ... think a friend spilling something but not injured ... so it may be reflexive. Ironically, we may overthink it if the mishap occurs to somebody we view with contempt, slapstick flavour or not.

Hope your pooch appreciates your risks.

You beat me by seconds, but you forgot to capitalize the German noun! Literally, joy at the expense of others.

There is a commercial 4 lane highway (2 lanes in each direction) near my home. I was running out to buy some dog food and as I was waiting for the light to let me cross and head northbound, two truck passed, each with a person in the back holding a Trump 2020 flag. As I entered, I noticed the flag from the lead truck fly out and the flag pole break through the windshield of the one behind it , causing the the second flag to go flying past my car. Once I realized I was safe, I just passed them and could not control my laughter, Is it wrong to laugh at the misfortune of others, even others who are completely reckless in their support of something or someone with who you disagree? Well perhaps not wreck less.

No one was injured as far as I could tell. Please try to keep to topic and keep this in the lounge.

This misfortune is particular, because there is an element of vengeance with the misfortune. You wouldn't laugh at the disabled kid tripping over the garbage can, but you might laugh at the school bully in the same situation.

You were not laughing at them; You was laughing at your relief of not being skewered by a flag pole! ?

If you were laughing BEcause you don’t like trump supporters, yes

if you were laughing because you can’t make this crap up, no

only you know;)

I thought you live in NYC...this was in the city?

1:10 mins

I think the only thing that was wrong was that you weren't able to get a video of the incident to post here for all of our enjoyment...?

I think you should boycott Dalton...rip the carpet out of your house. 90% of the worlds carpet comes from there.

BTW...that video is June 2015

Corrected to state that it was June 2015. And the “so” is the notation that it’s not a current event.

But I will acknowledge, I laughed at the carelessness...as an endurance cyclist often riding in pelotons, I acknowledge the importance of “watching the wheel”

I'm aware of it but after reading the post by @purplekow I automatically remember that guy saying "God don't like ugly".

I'm aware of it but after reading the post by @purplekow I automatically remember that guy saying "God don't like ugly".

I lived within an hour of that very spot at that time. Some of those trucks just drove all over the area with those flags. Clearly they thought they were invincible and inciting fear...in fact, everyone just looked at them and laughed...but not at bad things happening to them, but that they thought they were hot stuff but didn’t realize how stupid they looked. Pretty sure some of them hadn’t had a job (or a date) in some time...

I lived within an hour of that very spot at that time. Some of those trucks just drove all over the area with those flags. Clearly they thought they were invincible and inciting fear...in fact, everyone just looked at them and laughed...but not at bad things happening to them, but that they thought they were hot stuff but didn’t realize how stupid they looked. Pretty sure some of them hadn’t had a job (or a date) in some time...

Brilliant post!

Brilliant post!

Personally, I believe that everyone has the right to express their own views in their own way regardless of whether it’s a popular position or not. So, I’ll defend their right to do what they did. My hope is that they will come to see in their own way the implication of being far in the fringes, assessing the harm that comes from that, and come to see a different perspective.

Was it "wrong" to laugh? I suppose from a moral standpoint it is never "right" to laugh at the misfortunes of others. Is it natural to laugh when the misfortune comes to someone you detest at the hands of someone else you detest for the same reason, especially if the misfortune itself is relatively minor and is likely to make the sufferer mad at his compatriot? Yes, that is only human.

I don't think it is really Schadenfreude, which is pleasure at having avoided yourself the injury you observe happen to someone else.

If you were laughing BEcause you don’t like trump supporters, yes

if you were laughing because you can’t make this crap up, no

only you know;)

I thought you live in NYC...this was in the city?

. Grew up in NYC live at the Jersey Shore now. Still have strong NYC connections though

Wow goes to show you video is everywhere Maybe one will come out of this latest incident. I would love to see it again rather than just replaying it in my mind, I was glad no one was hurt. I was also glad that the mini parade ended,

Along this line of thinking...is it still funny if it’s:

• An American flag?
  • A rainbow flag?
  • A flag championing our current protests?

Along this line of thinking...is it still funny if it’s:

• An American flag?
  • A rainbow flag?
  • A flag championing our current protests?

Probably not as funny but still, there is a combination of arrogance and stupidity here that reached a predictable conclusion. And I am sure all of those events would be funny to someone,