What do we know about when and how Montreal clubs will reopen?

newatthis

Not mentioning any specific venues in Montreal but I have prowled around The Village zone the past few weekends,

I used to love doing that, so many years ago that it seems ancient. Right now I'd be willing to go in and watch a stripper, assuming that I could remain apart from other patrons a bit, and wearing a mask.

You would have a dancer welcomingly approach you up close without a mask, unsolicited, as in the past, but I expect you can legitimately signal the desire for not interacting. If you pass him a polite note that you just want to drink and look, I think the other dancers will catch on. They have all the time in the world to communicate among themselves whether you are a punter worth pursuing, notwithstanding that some of them hold borderline Q-Anon-grade views.

In Brazil in early March, the answer to CoV among the brothel studs was that they took fitness supplements as a matter of course.

• 3 weeks later...

We have an uptick in cases that has shifted us from code green basic measures to code yellow, very quickly. However we are very possibly going to have code orange restrictions for small gatherings imposed ... 10 down to 6 allowable. As that is a code orange measure, where in that category bars are subject to closure, we are not far off the likelihood of that reality.

The government is understandably very miffed that all the warnings about compliance have gone unheeded by a small minority that seems determined to crash the economy and welfare of the majority. We are at between 20-25 % our peak prevalence in early May which was disastrous.

Montreal has now moved to "orange" on Quebec's alert level system, which means bars must stop serving alcohol at 11pm.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-covid-19-outbreaks-contact-tracing-1.5732493

Montreal, along with Quebec City and the Chaudière-Appalaches region, is now considered an orange area under Quebec's colour-coded regional alert system.

Private gatherings have been limited to a maximum six people, and bars and restaurants have been ordered to stop serving alcohol at 11 p.m.

https://santemontreal.qc.ca/en/public/coronavirus-covid-19/situation-of-the-coronavirus-covid-19-in-montreal/

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/progressive-regional-alert-and-intervention-system

Toronto is doing poorly and group gatherings have been reduced. Unfortunately, most of the new cases are in the under 40 age group. I hope we don‘t have to shut down everything to get things under control, but that is what may need to happen before the winter when things really get bad.

Quebec has reduced public gathering max numbers from 250 to 50. The probability of at least one COVID carrier, about 12% for a group of 50, approximates what that metric was a month ago for 250 persons. Since we have a five-fold increase in rolling case average compared to a month ago, all the revised mitigation does is condense exposure risk into a smaller group. No reason to expect the strategy will have much effect.

Quebec still ranks third in cumulative mortality, behind Belgium and Peru. We need the ‘hammer’, not the ‘dance’. Australia’s Victoria State approach should figure into our guidance here.

Was it a murder? I hadn't heard anymore news in the US about it. I had only read that they had found somebody dead at a bathhouse.

Yeah

Quebec has reduced public gathering max numbers from 250 to 50. The probability of at least one COVID carrier, about 12% for a group of 50, approximates what that metric was a month ago for 250 persons. Since we have a five-fold increase in rolling case average compared to a month ago, all the revised mitigation does is condense exposure risk into a smaller group. No reason to expect the strategy will have much effect.

Quebec still ranks third in cumulative mortality, behind Belgium and Peru. We need the ‘hammer’, not the ‘dance’. Australia’s Victoria State approach should figure into our guidance here.

Are most Quebec residents wearing masks? I hope people are looking south and learning from our lousy example. ?

Toronto recently announced closure of strip clubs... about time!

Unfortunately, Toronto is now in the 2nd wave. So the early interventions helped but everyone was lulled into false sense of security. Those under 40 years old now make up the majority (60%) of cases... very disturbing.

Quebec dic

Yeah

Are most Quebec residents wearing masks? I hope people are looking south and learning from our lousy example. ?

Quebec did not learn from its own lousy example. We are surging back to our April/May crest and both Montreal as well as the provincial capital Quebec City commence red alert lockdown Oct 1st. Bars and restaurants closed for at least 28 days.

It costs a lot of money for restaurant to simply "open" and "close." These businesses are already taking a huge hit from being virtually closed the entire year.

"Opening" and "Closing" each time is very expensive, and not simple. For example, restaurants need to hire and coordinate staffing, make sure food is properly stocked, and then re-promote when they're open again, etc.

I don't see how many of these fine dining establishments can survive like this, and with social distancing of only 25% capacity.

Not-to-mention a large segment of their clientele has likely been under employed for a long period of time as well.

And this is largely a global issue affecting the entire world. God help us all.

Edited by twinkboylover28

Quebec dic

Quebec did not learn from its own lousy example. We are surging back to our April/May crest and both Montreal as well as the provincial capital Quebec City commence red alert lockdown Oct 1st. Bars and restaurants closed for at least 28 days.

Montreal heads into partial lockdown:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/montreal-heads-partial-lockdown-after-coronavirus-surge-n1241402

Today Quebec province is two-thirds of the way to its Spring peak, which happens to be the current USA 7-day rolling average. Meanwhile, Montreal (one of the 18 provincial health regions) is already about there, that is, the previous provincial peak and the total USA new COVID incidence. I think R reproduction is minimally 1.4 for the province, higher in Montreal and Quebec City ... at 1.5 R, 10 persons infect 15, 15 infect 22.5, 22.5 infect 34. Only 4 cycles to multiply the first 10 over 5-fold. Extra bad news if the cycles are shorter than typical contagion period.

Edited by SirBIllybob

• 4 weeks later...

09/27/2020

This film, while ok, could have shown so much more of the Gay Village. Ste Catherine is the main commercial street but there are others that should have been shown, like Amherst (recently renamed), Ontario and Rene Levesque.. Other side streets are very charming and more shots of them would have conveyed the sense that the village is a neighbourhood where gays live, not just a main drag.

For those who don’t know Montreal, the Old Montreal or Vieux Montreal is not far from the Gay Village and can easily be reached by foot. There are many fine restaurants in the old port (as it is also referred to) and their closure would account for the empty streets at night. I wonder if the Gay Village is doing any better in the evenings.

• 3 weeks later...

I would bet Canada keeps its USA border closed into March or something like that. Maybe exceptions with proof of vaccination when that gets widespread enough. We just don’t have our act together yet in the U.S., unfortunately.

It's not just the USA.

Toronto was shut down by Ontario Premier Doug Ford.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-covid-cases-lockdown-doug-ford-toronto-peel-york-1.5808008

Montreal isn't doing much better.

It's a virus. It's worldwide.

Manitoba is now trending worse than approximately a dozen USA states.

There is significant permeability at the border even within the guidelines.

I don’t think we will see Montreal strip clubs re/opening for a long long time.

The case incidence modelling is very alarming unless people’s current behaviour changes.