Queer As Folk

This topic is 1414 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've watched the first few episodes of Season 1 and am very much enjoying it. Due to COVID and being home nights I probably have and will watch a lot of shows that otherwise would have remained fond memories. While watching it on Showtime back when it came out it was fun to watch a show that captured so many aspects of gay life that mainstream movies with gay plots or characters wouldn't touch.

I also recall that many gay friends didn't like it. I don't recall or understand why.

Do/Did forum members like the show?

Does/did Pittsburgh really have an active gay scene or was that a plot device?

I always liked Queer as Folk. I agree it really captures gay life realistically with bathhouses, gay bars etc. I liked the characters too, especially Michael who is a comics reading gay nerd just like me. :)

I've visited Pittsburgh a few times and it doesn't have an obvious gayborhood like Castro or Dupont Circle. Things are a little more spread out, but there certainly is a gay scene. I stayed in the Lawrenceville neighborhood in an AirBNB owned by a gay couple and there were a couple of gay bars there and a few more in a neighborhood called Shadyside. The Strip District is this really cool open-air market that also had a couple of gay clubs and was also where the city's bathhouse was located. It was an impressive bathhouse, with multiple floors including a rooftop deck.

But I think the fact that Pittsburgh is smaller and has a smaller gay scene was actually an element of Queer as Folk...they talk about how small the dating pool is and stuff like that.

When I watched Queer as Folk I was not quite out, even to myself, in a career that didn't cope well with gay people, although I lived in, or at least near, the gay centre of Sydney. I don't know if it reflected what Pittsburgh was like but that really doesn't matter. It depicted a gaybourhood in a city somewhere, and that was what mattered not whether it accurately represented the city it purported to be in.

You're watching the US version, which aged into what is now considered a comedy series. The original UK version, to me, is much better. Truly groundbreaking in many ways.

QAF had Sharon Gless on its side, which helped immensely, even when her character became a caricature in later seasons.

I enjoyed this feedback, thanks. On the one hand, over time, it dealt with almost every aspect of gay culture and gay sex.

As mike carey points out it didn't have to portray Pittsburgh accurately, but watching it this time got me curious as I have visited an extensive range of U.S. cities but not there.

For proof it's a fantasy watch the backroom scenes. On QAF they are clean spaces with mood lighting where every guy is sexy. Let's just say extensive (in the day) U.S. and foreign research found different levels of cleanliness, odor and unwanted groping. For entertainment purposes let reality be damned! :)