Detroit area

4crazyhorse
This topic is 1407 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Male strip clubs are non existent there now too. I remember going to happy tap, great times there. Miss that club

I loved Happy Tap. I'm not even sure if there are any straight strip clubs anymore in Windsor, I know Danny's closed a while back. On thing they would screw you over on was lap dances. A good friend of mine went there and told him it was something like $10 or $15 for a lap dance and didn't tell him it was per song until after the dance and he ended up paying the guy for whatever what one dance would cost and gave him like a $20 and refused to pay anymore and the dancer and manager went after him and he just walked out and refused to go back but I know Remington's in Toronto did that to me but fortunately it was only three songs. Wasn't happy when I found out after.

I don't think Michigan allows dancers to take everything off.

Gold Coast in Detroit closed about a year ago. Happy Tap in Windsor closed shortly after 9/11, reopened briefly with another name but didn't last long. I think Gigi's might have go-go boys but no private dance accommodations. I've heard Menjo's might get dancers at some point, but I don't trust the source.

Was Windsor’s HappyTap called by a diff name - JRs?? RJs? Boy o boy...Such trouble I had NOT buying lap dances I probably couldn’t afford

There was a wonderful male strip club in Windsor in the 80's called either JR's or JP's. It pre-dated The Happy Tap and was in a completely different location very close to the river. It was a large club serving a predominantly gay male clientele with many of the dancers coming from Montreal and Toronto. The Happy Tap was a sad replacement IMHO.

I don't think the Detroit/Windsor market can support a decent club right now. There has to be enough patrons to attract dancers to work there, but you have to have the dancers to attract the patrons, so anyone wanting to open a club would have to dump a chunk of cash just to get it off the ground. There's a lot better markets for the dancers just a few hours away in Toronto and Chicago. And now there's other options online for potential talent to get money with half the BS, like the 'fans' sites.

The bar in Windsor was called JP's. It was between the Tunnel and the Ambassador Bridge. The owner John, sold the land for more than $3million CAD to have a senior citizen condo built. Happy Tap was east of the Tunnel. Was only there once. But had more fun on the upper level than on the lower (stripper) level. I know we passed a LOT of bingo parlors on the way to Happy Tap. Bars there closed at 1am and drink and cigarette prices were ridiculously high because of the socialized medicine. But still in Windsor you could be two sheets to the wind and counting out $1000 in $20s and not worry about crime. You couldn't say that about Detroit (this was in the med-80s)

The market had trouble supporting the one club, Gold Coast. The last few years, the number of people coming to the bar steadily dwindled, as well as the number of new dancers. The last few times I was there there were only a half-dozen customers.

Agreed. I would say that the last 4-5 years that the Gold Coast operated it was pretty lousy. Very few customers and very low quality dancers. I wouldn't have wanted a lapdance from most of the guys...even if it was free. if you don't have high quality dancers, people aren't going to go to the place. My sense was that it was poorly managed the last number of years. Really a shame. I had been going to the Gold Coast since the early 80's. It was a great club for over two decades.

When I was in college in the 80's, I remember my friends my age used to call the Gold Coast the Troll Coast:) The detroit bar I really miss is the Gas Station even though it didn't have strippers and was in a very shitty area.

In Michigan they aren't allowed to take everything off though are they? That's the one advantage Windsor has. I liked the upper level of the Happy Tap, and there used to be some younger guys that would go there from Michigan since the drinking age is only 19 in Canada.

Correct, they are not allowed to take everything off in Michigan. We frequented bars in Canada often between 18 and 21, Michigan changed its drinking age from 18 to 19 then 21 in quick succession right when I was that age; I remember i could drink legally, then not, then could again, then couldn't...