Tennis' Star Federer won't play until 2021

WilliamM
This topic is 1408 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal are concerned about what they consider over strick COVID19 rules for the US Open scheduled to start September 1.

For example, players can only bring one member of a player's team to Flushing Meadow, New York. And no access to Manhattan.

I doubt that any one of the Big Three will show up if the US Open is held on schedule, which will be a serious problem for the sponsors. Nothing like that has happened to a slam since the 1973 Wimbledon, when the top players boycotted the tournament.

I will be happy to watch with the younger newer players. I love Federer, but understand he is recovering. Novak has become a real diva, saying he couldn't manage with just one support team, needs 3 people at lease. I am sure lots of pros survive with just the coach. Some players share a coach. If he is really good he wouldn't need a huge team. Nadal walks around like such an angry person I don't enjoy him screaming if he wins a point and his better days are over. The open will survive with out the top three. There are some great players in the top 20.

I will be happy to watch with the younger newer players. I love Federer, but understand he is recovering. Novak has become a real diva, saying he couldn't manage with just one support team, needs 3 people at lease. I am sure lots of pros survive with just the coach. Some players share a coach. If he is really good he wouldn't need a huge team. Nadal walks around like such an angry person I don't enjoy him screaming if he wins a point and his better days are over. The open will survive with out the top three. There are some great players in the top 20.

I agree that tennis can survive without the Big Three, and I often prefer to watch new players. But many casual fans watch only the slams and a few other major tournaments, and only if a big name they are familiar with is playing. That is not good news for the financial interests of the Open, which are already under serious stress.

Tennis seems risky, touching the same balls for hours. Wiping sweat away from the face. Handing towels back and forth.

Tennis officials have finally realized that asking ball kids to constantly handle the players' dirty towels is not a good idea, even without a viral pandemic, and it was announced just before the Indian Wells tournament was cancelled altogether that players would have to deal with their own towels for the first time. In the unsanctioned matches that were play in Florida last month, the players each had his own set of balls to play with, and were not supposed to touch the other player's balls (yes, I am aware of the double entendre ;)).

Edited by Charlie