is making an initial donation offer appropriate?

This topic is 1416 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey, another etiquette question for providers.

I don’t like to waste time texting, and like to get directly to the point. My initial text usually includes a short greeting, a name, a general location, and a general description of what I'm into (which I have to elaborate on later since it's role playing).

Is it useful to also make a donation offer when you introduce yourself?

I think once the basic introduction is given, I tend to ask his rate. If it's something I'm unwilling to pay I say thank you and move on. Some working guys will give a counter offer, some will not, and on very rare occasions some get offended you just didn't accept what they initially stated.

I guess you could offer what you're willing to pay right after your intro but expect a counter with their usual rate.

There is a better chance of getting a reply back instead of seeing it get ignored if the offer made is appealing. That's why reviews on rent masseur are so helpful. It's no surprise that the clients who tip generously end up having a far better experience than the ones who only give what is listed. The ones who keep their phones off and devote the focus completely on me when with me are the ones I'm bound to repeat an experience with.

Whether you like it or not, the standard practice is to ask him for his rate for time.

This is not a flea market: Never forget you're dealing with human beings.

Treat those as you wish to be treated.

Are you saying that even if I offer someone's usual rate, it will be considered offensive?

It’s not a yard sale where you’re haggling over prices.

Would you go up to the register at a store and say “I’ll give you $1 for this gallon of milk?” When you’re at a store and don’t know what something costs, you don’t go up to an associate and offer a price, do you? You ask what it costs, right? The same principle applies to a provider, in my opinion.

Now, that isn’t to say that some providers don’t have an absurd price. Nothing saying you have to take them up on that. I do believe that some people are more open to negotiating/haggling over rates than others. But on the whole I think that if a guy wants a certain amount and you’re unwilling to pay that, just move on. If I’m in a store and I say something but it cost more than I’m willing to pay, I simply don’t buy it. Or I look somewhere else for the something similar.

I get wanting to get the best deal, but this is more a hobby where you get what you pay for too.

Guest Calix_K

Just my opinion here, but it really seems to me by doing this for a bit that it simply boils down to how your values and expectations align with those of the client/provider. There have been times where myself and the client are WAAY off with regards to expectations, rates, duration of appointment, etc and then there are clients who click immediately from initial email to the end of our time and become long standing regulars and (OMG) friends!! ?.

That's why I truly believe to stick with your values and expectations because there WILL be those who will align and will click with you immediately. From a purely objective standpoint, it is also numbers game for providers advertising online. For every "X" amount of clients, you will get a "Y". Inversely so with clients looking for quality providers.

For providers relying on immediately capturing the pool of clients that will agree to whatever going rate is, keep an appointment, pay as agreed upon, etc is possible but not realistic, especially given these times. That's why my advice to any provider either starting out or struggling to effectively advertise or otherwise attract that type of client is to DIVERSIFY time and efforts, so that you have alternate income streams. It also makes you more interesting to clients, at least that's what I've heard

;)

I ask for a quote; I don't presume to make an offer. However, I have a history of taking chances and contacting newbies; in many cases, they are clueless and ask for my advice, which I proffer. I have had excellent results doing so for most of the past 15 years (the last couple years....meh....)

Just be prepared to give a thoughtful and reasonable response if a newbie asks for advice. Happy hunting!