Covid-19 Bonus Offers?

mike carey
This topic is 1414 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Has anyone else received free stuff or bonus offers from commercial providers like telcos or credit card companies in this time of plague?

My mobile phone provider has thrown free credits at me a couple of times over the past few months. First, they made all national calls free for three months (still about six weeks of that to go). The credit balance in my account that would have paid for them over that time will now roll over when I pay for the next period, so I don't lose anything. They also gave me a bonus data allowance on my phone, and it looks like a bonus data allocation on a mobile broadband dongIe I have from them.

My main bank credit card reduced the minimum monthly payment to $5. That could be useful if I were out of work and needed that flexibility on paying it off, but I don't and would avoid that at all costs as the interest charged on outstanding balances hasn't reduced.

Finally, my Amex card has doubled the rewards points credits per dollar spent for three months, and just last week they've provided a $400 recredit of grocery purchases valid over the next three months. In effect (as I read it) $400 worth of free groceries. I would have used it for those purchases anyway, so if I've misread what the offer entails it won't matter.

Anyone else benefited from this sort of largesse?

I’ve gotten both of the cellular deal and the auto insurance credit. However, it doesn’t make up for the electric bill that came yesterday following 45 days of inside with the a/c blasting! No discount from the electric company.

Got a 100% increased in points for gas/groceries etc. on the two Amex cards linked to hotel points, a 25% reduction on my dental insurance premium for next two months, and a $25 statement credit on my VISA for every $500 I spend in June.

I’m already rated for the least miles driven, so nothing from them.

My car insurance premiums went cheaper. Also my cell-phone got rid of its data caps which of course suggests that they could make plenty of money without caping my data at 10GB. And best of all, my student loan interest has been frozen for six months. I'm using the time to pay down other bills so I'll have less debt overall.

Verizon sent me a couple texts that they are giving me 15GB of additional hotspot data, hoping it "keeps me connected during these challenging times"........I don't quite know what this means, but I never seemed disconnected during even the most challenging time.........

shrug.gif

Verizon sent me a couple texts that they are giving me 15GB of additional hotspot data, hoping it "keeps me connected during these challenging times"........I don't quite know what this means, but I never seemed disconnected during even the most challenging time.........

shrug.gif

Maybe you were disconnected but your lack of awareness of your connectivity prevented you from realizing it.

Like @Beancounter, I got extra data for tethering

car insurance has given two policy rebates (presumably anticipating lower loss experience from less driving)

Tom James Company gave free face masks made out of their fabrics (along with a half page disclaimer of liability if they didn’t keep you from getting Covid:rolleyes:). Of course, who’s buying custom clothes. I’m wearing jeans and shorts to the office now...