I Had To Give Up My Collection Of Matches

Gar1eth
This topic is 1422 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I collected matchbooks for probably 20 or so years. Remember back in the day when most non-fast food restaurants either had them at the bar, the tables, or at the cashier-usually with the restaurant name and logo. Some had really nice covers on them. Seems to me that you could even find them in hotel rooms once upon a time-along with writing paper and envelopes

Sometimes they were a remembrance of a place I'd been. For example if I had a job interview in city I traveled to, I'd pick up a book from the restaurant they took me too. But I'd pick up local ones too.It's not like I really looked them once I collected them although I did like the ones with nice covers. I used to drop them into a pickle jar I had repurposed especially for this.

When I moved back to Texas 2 years ago, I came on the plane. You aren't supposed to put flammable things in your luggage. And I knew they wouldn't let me carry my jar on board. So I had to leave them behind.

What made me start this thread?

1. I just could have used some matches. It was nothing major. And I made do without. But with the decline in smoking, most restaurants don't give them out now-not to mention that I don't eat out at restaurants very often anymore.

2. I'm waiting for some clothes to dry so I can get dressed and leave for a doctor's appt. It's nothing serious. It's time for my routine PrEP labs. But thank you for your concern.

Gman

I collected matchbooks for probably 20 or so years. Remember back in the day when most non-fast food restaurants either had them at the bar, the tables, or at the cashier-usually with the restaurant name and logo. Some had really nice covers on them. Seems to me that you could even find them in hotel rooms once upon a time-along with writing paper and envelopes

Sometimes they were a remembrance of a place I'd been. For example if I had a job interview in city I traveled to, I'd pick up a book from the restaurant they took me too. But I'd pick up local ones too.It's not like I really looked them once I collected them although I did like the ones with nice covers. I used to drop them into a pickle jar I had repurposed especially for this.

When I moved back to Texas 2 years ago, I came on the plane. You aren't supposed to put flammable things in your luggage. And I knew they wouldn't let me carry my jar on board. So I had to leave them behind.

1. I just could have used some matches. It was nothing major. And I made do without. But with the decline in smoking, most restaurants don't give them out now-not to mention that I don't eat out at restaurants very often anymore.

2. I'm waiting for some clothes to dry so I can get dressed and leave for a doctor's appt. It's nothing serious. It's time for my routine PrEP labs. But thank you for your concern.

Gman

did you give it to someone who collects them or might use them?

When I moved a few years ago, I had a collection of matchbooks like yours. I started collecting them about 1960. Before they went into my “moving sale”, it was like a trip down memory lane.

In addition, I had a few ashtrays. Some restaurants would have a perk ashtray as part of each table setting. From The Four Seasons in NYC, I had three of the four seasons and always wanted the missing season.

Gman

did you give it to someone who collects them or might use them?

I didn't have the time. For one thing I couldn't drive because my myasthenia was really bad that point. **Most of the time I couldn't even turn a knob on a washing machine using both hands. I had no grip strength to speak of. I also was having trouble holding my head up.** As if that weren't enough, I was in a rush to get back to Dallas for my Dad's Unveiling. So the matches were not exactly at the top of my list to do anything about

Gman

**To be fair it was probably due to the prednisone I was on. At least 50% or so of the people taking it for myasthenia develop increased weakness -sometimes severe- in the second week of taking it before it actually begins to help you. They theorize that prednisone has a toxic effect on the muscles before it dials down the immune system (the underlying problem with MG) which is attacking your muscles and making them weak.

This Medical Minute was brought to you by...

The more you know.

G

I also had a collection of matchbooks from places, mostly restaurants and bars that I'd been to, going back to the 1970's. I have been clearing out the storage area of my basement in preparation for downsizing and spent time looking through them, trying to remember the places they came from and then trashed them.

You have reminded me that I have a similar collection somewhere in this house. Mine were usually from bars, restaurants or hotels, and were basically free souvenirs. They stopped being produced years ago when smoking was prohibited in most of those places.

The first guy I ever had sex with wrote his name and phone # on the inside of a matchbook cover. I never called him, but I still have the matchbook. It is so old that it was before numbers had area codes.

You have reminded me that I have a similar collection somewhere in this house. Mine were usually from bars, restaurants or hotels, and were basically free souvenirs. They stopped being produced years ago when smoking was prohibited in most of those places.

The first guy I ever had sex with wrote his name and phone # on the inside of a matchbook cover. I never called him, but I still have the matchbook. It is so old that it was before numbers had area codes.

According to an article in the Atlantic, they began the roll out of area codes in 1951. That must be a really old matchbook.

On November 10, 1951, the official rollout of area codes took place. With 100 guests watching, Englewood Mayor M. Leslie Denning dialed a number: 415-LA-3-9727. Exactly 17 seconds later, Denning’s call was picked up by Frank Osborn, the mayor of Alameda, California. Bell engineers called the cross-continental and intramayoral conversation a "historic first in communications." And newspapers, for their part, were even more jubilant about the proceedings. As The New York Times put it in an article announcing the Englewood test-call, “the vine-like network of this small community's telephone plant will grow tomorrow like an atomic age descendant of Jack the Giant Killer's beanstalk.

Gman

Area codes were around, but it wasn't until the 90s that you had to dial the area code WITHIN an area code, and IIRC even then it wasn't everywhere.

I remember when it was a big deal that in NJ we had to start dialing 1 before a long distance number(which now you don't need to do with cell phones, which was confusing to me when I first got one). Then they started adding area codes and we had to dial the area code even to call next door.

Area codes were around, but it wasn't until the 90s that you had to dial the area code WITHIN an area code, and IIRC even then it wasn't everywhere.

It's interesting that that's the way the phone regulator chose to go in the US. One of the reasons, or at least it appears that way to me, is that in areas that ran out of numbers they had new area codes overlaying older ones, so the house next door could have a different area code. In Australia the regulator took a different tack and rolled all the two and three digit area codes into four geographically based two digit area codes. (In all cases, old and new, the first digit of the area code is a zero which fulfilled the same function as the 1 in the US (and Canada and the Caribbean).) They also made the previous mixture of five, six and seven digit phone numbers all eight digits. So all landline numbers are in the format (0X) XXXX XXXX. We can still use just the eight digit number to call phones in the same area code. Mobile phones use numbers starting with 04, which is not used as an area code, and all numbers are in the format 04XX XXX XXX. You have to dial all 10 digits for calls to mobiles.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, just making an observation. And now that we mostly have the numbers we used programmed into our phones, it matters even less. In my phone, most numbers are programmed in the international format, so all my Australian numbers (well, most of them) start with +61.

According to an article in the Atlantic, they began the roll out of area codes in 1951. That must be a really old matchbook.

On November 10, 1951, the official rollout of area codes took place. With 100 guests watching, Englewood Mayor M. Leslie Denning dialed a number: 415-LA-3-9727. Exactly 17 seconds later, Denning’s call was picked up by Frank Osborn, the mayor of Alameda, California. Bell engineers called the cross-continental and intramayoral conversation a "historic first in communications." And newspapers, for their part, were even more jubilant about the proceedings. As The New York Times put it in an article announcing the Englewood test-call, “the vine-like network of this small community's telephone plant will grow tomorrow like an atomic age descendant of Jack the Giant Killer's beanstalk.

Gman

One only needed to use an area code in those days if one wanted to dial a long distance call, and many of us didn't even have services that allowed dialing long distance--one had to go through a live operator, who would know the right code. As @sniper says above, one didn't use an area code to dial a number from within that code until the 1990s. Also, NYC had only a single area code (which most of us didn't even know) in those days, so he wouldn't have needed to write it down for me anyway.

I've also collected matches over the years, but more out of habit than as a hobby. Match books would wind up in a container inside a kitchen drawer to be used as needed. This thread prompted me to take a look at what's in that container and I'm please to see match books from Rounds in NYC (long ago closed) and Remingtons in Toronto (also closed). Of course there's also matches from all up and down Rue St Catherine in Montreal (Hotel Gouverneur, Piazzetta, Campus, Stock Bar, Cora Dejeuners) Hmmm... wonder what kind of mischief I've been up to for the last couple decades? ;)

I remember when it was a big deal that in NJ we had to start dialing 1 before a long distance number(which now you don't need to do with cell phones, which was confusing to me when I first got one). Then they started adding area codes and we had to dial the area code even to call next door.

Until 2017 you could still use 7 digit dialing in Western Washington -although I'm assuming it only worked within area codes. And I'm not sure how it worked for example if a cell phone in Seattle that came (in my case) from Texas and had a Texas number ( ie a Texas area code) was inside the Seattle city limits and dialed a Seattle number. I don't know whether I had to dial the 206 before the number when I was inside Seattle or not. I always did use the area code because I didn't even know that 7 digit dialing might even be possible until it no longer was. And everyone had to use 10 digit dialing.

Here's an article discussing the changeover.

Gman

New area code for Western Washington means mandatory 10-digit dialing

Date: Thursday, July 6, 2017

in: News

0 0

Michael McCormic, Jr.

Michael McCormic, Jr.

For ClarkCountyToday.com

VANCOUVER — Western Washington state is receiving a new area code as numbers beginning in 360 draw closer to depletion.

Stretching from the west coast to central Washington, the territory covered by the 360 area code has witnessed both a population increase and an increase in the use of cellular and landline phones. Because of this, the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission will be introducing the 564 area code in August to the regions that also use the current 360 code.

This change will reduce the current burden on the Western Washington area codes, including 360, which covers most of the western half of the state, 206, the area code for the Seattle area, 425, covering Bellevue, Redmond, and Everett, and 253, which covers Tacoma and the surrounding area. Currently, the 564 area code will only be distributed within the region currently covered by the 360 area code. It is unclear whether or not the other three area codes will follow in suit with similar area code additions.

The most widely-felt effect of the new area code will be the change in dialing procedure. While local dialing in Western Washington currently operates sufficiently with seven digits, the addition of the new area code throws a wrench into the gears of our 7-digit dialing. As such, local calls will now require callers to dial the full 10 digits, including area codes. A grace period lasting from January of this year up to July 29 was implemented to give callers a chance to adjust to the new dialing requirements. Once the new 564 numbers begin distribution in August, however, calls dialed with 7 digits will not go through.

According to the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission, the cost of calls will not change because of this adjustment, only the procedure by which calls are made.

While for most, this change to 10-digit dialing is simply a nuisance that they will eventually get used to, there are a few major safety concerns that accompany this change. The Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission states on their website that self-dialing units, such as medical alert devices or home security systems, may need to be reprogrammed to account for the 10-digit dialing change. More recently-produced devices are automatically programmed to 10-digit dialing, but many older units still function using 7-digit dials. Because of this, there are some serious concerns regarding whether or not some of these older systems will be able to adequately function once 10-digit dialing becomes mandatory. Western Washington residents who use such devices are encouraged to contact the manufacturer if they are unsure whether or not their device will function after the transition to 10-digit dialing.

Emergency calling will remain 9-1-1 and will not require an area code.

It's interesting that that's the way the phone regulator chose to go in the US. One of the reasons, or at least it appears that way to me, is that in areas that ran out of numbers they had new area codes overlaying older ones, so the house next door could have a different area code. In Australia the regulator took a different tack and rolled all the two and three digit area codes into four geographically based two digit area codes. (In all cases, old and new, the first digit of the area code is a zero which fulfilled the same function as the 1 in the US (and Canada and the Caribbean).) They also made the previous mixture of five, six and seven digit phone numbers all eight digits. So all landline numbers are in the format (0X) XXXX XXXX. We can still use just the eight digit number to call phones in the same area code. Mobile phones use numbers starting with 04, which is not used as an area code, and all numbers are in the format 04XX XXX XXX. You have to dial all 10 digits for calls to mobiles.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, just making an observation. And now that we mostly have the numbers we used programmed into our phones, it matters even less. In my phone, most numbers are programmed in the international format, so all my Australian numbers (well, most of them) start with +61.

You know, @mike carey, I know you've logically explained the Australian phone situation here . But every time I read it, it goes in one eye and out the other. It's obviously me and not you. But the whole explanation induces white noise inside me every time I read it. Much like the words gym, workout, and boyfriend do.

Gman

I collected matchbooks and those post cards they used to have in restaurants. Both are long gone. I also lived in one of the first areas (Chicagoland) that required 10-digit dialing for all phone numbers. The practice was delayed for a few years because it would be hard for seniors to remember ten digits. My mother was in favor of it because she no longer had to remember whether to dial seven digits (to reach her aunt who lived in the same area code) or ten (to reach my brother and me who lived in different area codes).

Years ago on a game show, the host was phoning someone (it wasn't "Phone a friend", this is much older than that :-) ) It was a long distance call and he remarked that "Some people have to dial 1 before entering the area code, that's so unusual". I never realized there were places that did NOT have to do that. I think the show was based in California, I'm in Michigan.

Years ago on a game show, the host was phoning someone (it wasn't "Phone a friend", this is much older than that :) ) It was a long distance call and he remarked that "Some people have to dial 1 before entering the area code, that's so unusual". I never realized there were places that did NOT have to do that. I think the show was based in California, I'm in Michigan.

Might have been a metro area. I know that for example in the Dallas Fort Worth area there are landline numbers -or at least there used to be-where someone from Dallas can call 817-XXX-XXXX without using the "one" even though its a long distance call.

Gman

Might have been a metro area. I know that for example in the Dallas Fort Worth area there are landline numbers -or at least there used to be-where someone from Dallas can call 817-XXX-XXXX without using the "one" even though its a long distance call.

Gman

In northern NJ where they did overlay codes where you can have a different area code than your next door neighbor, the compromise was if you don't dial the 1 your local phone company handles it, but if you dial 1 then your long distance carrier carties the call. Now that most people use ine provider and pay a flat monthly fee that's less of an issue.