When they will open gyms ?

Richardbl
This topic is 1425 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey. Any idea when the government will allow to open gyms?

Got tired of sitting home!!!!

I miss going to the gym like crazy! Even my own building's gym is close and during the first weeks of the shutdown plenty of folks went to Meridian Hill Park (A.K.A. Malcom X Park) to work out with their trainers and in groups.

Depends on the are of the country where you live. It might be easier if you check your local news sites about it. There are also a gym in NJ and another one in Vegas who refused to close their doors despite orders.

In Florida it will depend on the County's choice. Broward County possibly May 26

We should probably be careful. High intensity exercise classes led to COVID being spread to more than 100 people in South Korea from likely COVID positive instructors. Interestingly, low-intensity classes like pilates and yoga didn't appear to cause any infections even though the instructor was likely COVID positive. So maybe not group exercise classes, but possibly low-intensity classes or strength-training with strong social distancing and disinfecting procedures.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/05/texas-reopening-hair-salons-gyms-greg-abbott/

Here’s a link highlighting the reopening of gyms in Texas.

While I really want to get back into the gym I’m going to wait a while longer. While Texas gyms can operate at a predetermined occupancy rate each national gym franchise sets its own individual operating procedures. I’m sure these vary from gym to gym. In the case of 24HR Fitness (my gym) you have to go online and reserve a one-hour limited time slot. Gloves and masks must be worn. Showers and lockers are off limits. The gym closes every hour for 30 minutes for a cleaning. Gym members are required to wipe down the equipment after each use. Gym bags are discouraged from being brought into the club. Etc. Etc. Etc. The list goes on and on.

That’s just too much of an effort for me right now. I’ll stick to my daily 3 mile walk in the park for now.

Wow they are lucky there.! We are here in New York still waiting for...

Maybe they're lucky. Time will tell. I'm a gym fanatic, but I'll let somebody else be the canary.

A gym I occasionally go to in another part of the state sent me their plans for reopening. I think I might I might feel comfortable there: wipes and hand sanitizer at every piece of equipment, temp and symptom checks on entry, air scrubbers with UV, extra cleaning crew, no showers or lockers, no spotting, maximum class sizes, maximum total occupancy, total pieces of equipment reduced to allow social distancing, the list just went on. Who's going to pay for all that? Going to the gym will become a luxury pursuit.

Edited by Rudynate

Guest DeanParkerTEX

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/05/texas-reopening-hair-salons-gyms-greg-abbott/

Here’s a link highlighting the reopening of gyms in Texas.

While I really want to get back into the gym I’m going to wait a while longer. While Texas gyms can operate at a predetermined occupancy rate each national gym franchise sets its own individual operating procedures. I’m sure these vary from gym to gym. In the case of 24HR Fitness (my gym) you have to go online and reserve a one-hour limited time slot. Gloves and masks must be worn. Showers and lockers are off limits. The gym closes every hour for 30 minutes for a cleaning. Gym members are required to wipe down the equipment after each use. Gym bags are discouraged from being brought into the club. Etc. Etc. Etc. The list goes on and on.

That’s just too much of an effort for me right now. I’ll stick to my daily 3 mile walk in the park for now.

I’m in Texas too and LA Fitness is opening up in June 1st. Not sure I’m ready to go back. Too risky and a lot of effort to get an hour session in.

It really varies by state/country.

This morning I got an email from my gym. While they don't have a re-opening date yet, they do have a very detailed plan of how things will be moving forward. The main (and expected) change will be no walk-ins. Appointments can be booked online and you only get 1-hour to workout in the gym.

After seeing record lows the past few weeks, covid numbers started to go back up this week as the city has slowed started to re-open. Today we've seen the most cases in weeks. I thought gyms would be open in July, but if numbers are spiking back up I don't see that happening anymore.

Well, so far I've been going on evening walks in the hills after work, but I'm not going to be able to do that much longer. They say it's going to top 33C on Sunday and 37C on Monday. But, sure, let's open the churches. Well, maybe the religious will die before the fitness addicts? ;)

As I am writing this I am doing my every other day exercise routine at home. My local gym opened this past Monday. However the two local LA Fitness gyms are still closed. Therefore all the LA Fitness members are getting passes to work out in our local gym and the word is that they are not acting as responsibly as the regular gym members. In fact one friend complained to the manager regarding that. I have nothing against LA Fitness members as I am a member there as well, but it is simply not as convenient for me. At any rate, I am not yet ready to return to the gym just yet. I need more time to process things and also check out how responsibly people are acting

Perhaps if I could join a gym like this it might help me come to a decision: As I had posted in good fun recently in the GALLERY

No showers frankly seems like overkill, amd makes going to my gym more of a hassle than I care to deal with. I belong to Equinox and its just not worth their rates to lose all of the amenities. I'll just join my local YMCA(which is on the swankier side of YMCAs because it's in an affluent town) amd pay less than half. Whenever they do reopen.

I've decided that I like working out @ home better than @ the gym during this Covid period. Planning on ordering the rest of the equipment I need so I don't have to go back to the gym after they open back up here in Cali.

Good luck finding anything online, though. Rogue Fitness has everything back ordered and the prices for inferior stuff on EBay are outrageous. My trainer has a private gym I’ve been using for the past two months and I do have some decent stuff at home, though. I did get a plyo box and a nice pull up bar for the other house, though, and I can borrow a 53 lb kettlebell and dumbbells from a friend who owns a gym. No way would I go to a Y or a chain gym for a while though. 24 Hour Fitness was nasty in the best of times.

Ditto about finding anything online or even locally unless you want to pay a hefty price. As an example they are price gouging the Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable dumbbell set from 2 to 3 times plus the list price. It is out of stock at the manufacturer. So the gods only know if those who are selling it even have it in stock. Still I would bet that they would be willing to charge your credit card no matter what!

Edited by whipped guy

My condo has a gym and in March they closed it. A few weeks ago I said enough is enough. I sent a message to the group who manages the building telling them I give zero fucks about the Kung flu and that if they want their hoa I'm using the gym. And I have had no word from the building mgt company or the other owners. You can live your life in fear and hide behind the door or you can live life. Im choosing to live.

Hugs,

Greg

As I am writing this I am doing my every other day exercise routine at home. My local gym opened this past Monday. However the two local LA Fitness gyms are still closed. Therefore all the LA Fitness members are getting passes to work out in our local gym and the word is that they are not acting as responsibly as the regular gym members. In fact one friend complained to the manager regarding that. I have nothing against LA Fitness members as I am a member there as well, but it is simply not as convenient for me. At any rate, I am not yet ready to return to the gym just yet. I need more time to process things and also check out how responsibly people are acting

Perhaps if I could join a gym like this it might help me come to a decision: As I had posted in good fun recently in the GALLERY

Years ago, I abandoned mass gyms for local, private cross-fit style gyms. The 24-Hour in Laguna Niguel was nasty in the best of times, and I got annoyed at the hogging of equipment by idiots who didn’t even know the proper techniques. I’m happy to pay twice the amount to support a local entrepreneur and have the high-end Rogue equipment I prefer with 24-hour fob key access.

My condo has a gym and in March they closed it. A few weeks ago I said enough is enough. I sent a message to the group who manages the building telling them I give zero fucks about the Kung flu and that if they want their hoa I'm using the gym. And I have had no word from the building mgt company or the other owners. You can live your life in fear and hide behind the door or you can live life. Im choosing to live.

Hugs,

Greg

Your response is interesting to me. Is this because you’re a cancer survivor and HIV/undetectable (both of which you’ve publicly stated in this Forum)? I choose to “live”, too but within the confines and limits that society deems necessary to maintain order nd safety. I don’t cherrypick only those rules I don’t like. Of course, if I’d been through what you’ve been through I might have a different perspective. I hope your life is a good and healthy one.