30k Millionaire Term

Reisr30
This topic is 1429 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A new acquaintance moved from Chicago to Studio City neighborhood of LA. Walking around 'downtown' Studio City seeing the sights, he remarked, "There are so many Mercedes, BMWs and Rolls here, they are not special anymore."

My reply, "Yes and the lease companies love the cashflow"

Where else but Beverly Hills can you go into a Budget Rent-A-Car and rent a Lamborghini, Rolls, Ferrari or Porsche? For those who can only cashflow one day at a time.

Someone mentioned to me some cities are ful of $30k millionaires and I was curious about the term. Any ideas?

In Dallas, there are a ton of these folks. They live big... On credit.

When the bill comes in, they pay one card with another. It's a sad way to live.

I have a friend from Houston who always referred to Dallas as the city of the 30k per year millionaires.

I guess another way to say it it's: "fake it till you make it"

I guess Neimann Marcus has something to do with it... I love that store...lol.

Neimans is a classic. Very few department stores are left that function like the downtown Dallas flagship.

It's been around a lot longer than the $30k millionaires and will remain around even after this current bankruptcy they're going through.

Has anyone heard of The Millionaire Next Door?

That is the way to live!

Yes, that is the way to live.

I have personally known people on the Forbes list who lived such understated lives that I was shocked to discover them on the list. No big houses or fancy cars; just regular people who maintained a low profile.

Back in college, I lived for two years with one of the nicest, down-to-earth guys you would ever want to meet; his father was a well known surgeon and they lived in a nice house but nothing out of line for a successful doctor; only after college did I discover that his maternal grandfather was number five on the Forbes list?.

I guess Neimann Marcus has something to do with it... I love that store...lol.

I find their men’s department to be clownish of late. Ghastly shoes and boots, some over $1,000 a pair. Maybe for a bespoke pair of Alden’s or Church’s, but not Gucci or others.

I think conspicuous consumption will become a thing of the past as we emerge from this pandemic a poorer and more stratified society. There’s going to be a lot of resentment against those who emerge unscathed and show off. If you hav money, best to keep a low profile. I like nice things, too, but if they’re understated they aren‘t as noticeable. For example, 99% of the people who I pass while riding a carbon road bike have no idea what it cost, and that’s fine with me.

I think conspicuous consumption will become a thing of the past as we emerge from this pandemic a poorer and more stratified society. There’s going to be a lot of resentment against those who emerge unscathed and show off. If you hav money, best to keep a low profile. I like nice things, too, but if they’re understated they aren‘t as noticeable. For example, 99% of the people who I pass while riding a carbon road bike have no idea what it cost, and that’s fine with me.

Completely agree. Prefer clothes and shoes that no one can tell how much they cost or what brand they are like John Lobb, Kiton or Brunello Cucinelli. I like quality and clothes that fit well. I don’t like being a walking billboard.

Denver has a lot of these too....here it is often with an added hippie/stoner element. Managers of a T-Mobile store going to every concert around, buying expensive drugs and living in these expensive luxury condos where they throw elaborate loud parties that they DJ themselves (they're alwasy part-time DJs here).

Man this pandemic is going to really put a crimp on their lifestyles.

I find their men’s department to be clownish of late. Ghastly shoes and boots, some over $1,000 a pair. Maybe for a bespoke pair of Alden’s or Church’s, but not Gucci or others.

I wear Nike and Adidas exclusively...Hurley rubber sandals....Gap shorts...white T shirts..or blue..I would never spend that amount on clothing