Big Contradiction

Kman
This topic is 1440 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

First, let me know if this is in the wrong section...I could see this being in the political section as well.

A certain long term care facility has recently tested every single staff member and resident for COVID-19 due to an executive order. Prior to this many of the residents and staff members have been infected with the virus and sadly resulting in many resident deaths. So the facility has stated that even if you test positive with COVID-19 you can still come to work and I am assuming that excludes people displaying symptoms. Even still, there are many residents who have not been exposed including people who have severe respiratory issues so those individuals contracting the virus would be a death sentence.

The facility states it is because of a staffing shortage that they are having positive cases come to work! SO what has been the point of any of this for the last 3 months or however long it's been specifically at this facility and as well as the rest of the country continuing to shelter relatively healthy people and exposing the most vulnerable. Seems pretty f#$%*d up to me.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, let me know if this is in the wrong section...I could see this being in the political section as well.

A certain long term care facility has recently tested every single staff member and resident for COVID-19 due to an executive order. Prior to this many of the residents and staff members have been infected with the virus and sadly resulting in many resident deaths. So the facility has stated that even if you test positive with COVID-19 you can still come to work and I am assuming that excludes people displaying symptoms. Even still, there are many residents who have not been exposed including people who have severe respiratory issues so those individuals contracting the virus would be a death sentence.

The facility states it is because of a staffing shortage that they are having positive cases come to work! SO what has been the point of any of this for the last 3 months or however long it's been specifically at this facility and as well as the rest of the country continuing to shelter relatively healthy people and exposing the most vulnerable. Seems pretty f#$%*d up to me.

Well, we are "lucky" to have a new vaccine chief starting today.

Yes, Seems pretty f#$%*d up to me too.

It’s the reverse situation of the executive order in NY where nursing homes were mandated to accept C19 positive residents to free up hospital beds. Of course, common sense prevailed and that order was revoked.

Is it possible that the facility you reference has other steps being taken to mitigate the spread?

They are fucked up.

Two solutions for the “staffing shortage”:

1-raise the pay of the staff and attract more employees (or temps)

2-reduce the resident population (can be done over a period of time as residents leave (move out or die)

The senior campus where I volunteer (right now no one is being allowed in the building but residents and staff) has just raised a large amount of funds to pay a sizable bonus to front line employees who have had the brunt of the pandemic. This was done to show appreciation for a hard job well done. The management has long treated the employees well because they realized that as the key to good resident care. A non-profit with community support can do this.

Treating employees well has been a long tradition at this senior care facility. The key to any business being successful is treating employees well; if the employees are happy, the customers will be treated right. The business rule I was use to was NOT “The customer is number one” but instead “The employee is number one.” That rule works.

Anyone having family in the senior living facility in the original post should move them out as fast as possible.

Could you have your facts wrong? Long term care facilities are likely to allow staff members return to work after testing positive IF they've recovered and have not shown symptoms for a certain period of time. No licensed care facility would intentionally allow a staff person to work if they have an active case of Covid and are potentially contagious. I'd be interested in hearing the full story about this facility before getting all worked up.

They are fucked up.

2-reduce the resident population (can be done over a period of time as residents leave (move out or die)

The senior campus where I volunteer (right now no one is being allowed in the building but residents and staff) has just raised a large amount of funds to pay a sizable bonus to front line employees who have had the brunt of the pandemic. This was done to show appreciation for a hard job well done. The management has long treated the employees well because they realized that as the key to good resident care. A non-profit with community support can do this.

Treating employees well has been a long tradition at this senior care facility. The key to any business being successful is treating employees well; if the employees are happy, the customers will be treated right. The business rule I was use to was NOT “The customer is number one” but instead “The employee is number one.” That rule works.

Anyone having family in the senior living facility in the original post should move them out as fast as possible.

Question: If you reduce the resident population and move them out "as fast as possible", where do they go? Many seniors are in nursing homes which, by definition, provide 24 hour access to skilled nursing care. Sending them to live with family may not be possible and in many cases, will put them at greater risk. I have a parent in a long term care facility so my family is deeply immersed in all the challenges. All I know is that there are no simplistic answers.

They are fucked up.

Could you have your facts wrong? Long term care facilities are likely to allow staff members return to work after testing positive IF they've recovered and have not shown symptoms for a certain period of time. No licensed care facility would intentionally allow a staff person to work if they have an active case of Covid and are potentially contagious. I'd be interested in hearing the full story about this facility before getting all worked up.

To clarify, the staffing shortage is in large part because the staff were sick. There are a lot of ways to help the staffing shortage, there are traveling nurses that could help as well as the National Guard.

I hope I do have my facts wrong. This is the first time a majority of the staff have been tested. The letter that we received stated in all caps YOU CAN STILL WORK even if you test positive. So if tomorrow the test comes back positive and I continue to have no symptoms I am still working. And the other part of this is I can refuse to go to work if I test positive but I can't get unemployment now because there was nothing preventing me from going to work.

I hope I do have my facts wrong. This is the first time a majority of the staff have been tested. The letter that we received stated in all caps YOU CAN STILL WORK even if you test positive. So if tomorrow the test comes back positive and I continue to have no symptoms I am still working. And the other part of this is I can refuse to go to work if I test positive but I can't get unemployment now because there was nothing preventing me from going to work.

You've got me curious. I know that quidance from the health department in my state clearly says that staff testing positive or showing symptoms should NOT work. Let us know how your situation resolves.

They are fucked up.

May not be a easy task during a pandemic, especially if the current facility is in rural area with few other options. And possible transportation issues for the family.

Edited by WilliamM

“Common Sense” has always been an oxymoron.

Only in our view perhaps. It tends to work in homogenous societies where “common” generally pairs up well with as a descriptor of “experience” and “perspective”

May not be a easy task during a pandemic, especially if the current facility is in rural area with few other options. And possible transportation issues for the family.

Yes, it may not be easy but if the facility has workers who test positive it is a necessity to get family members out of there. No one said life is “easy”. Some times you have to put on your big boy pants and do what needs to be done.

To me it is unconscionable that a senior facility would allow employees who test positive to be in the facility.

To clarify, the staffing shortage is in large part because the staff were sick. There are a lot of ways to help the staffing shortage, there are traveling nurses that could help as well as the National Guard.

Even if you show no symptoms, if you test positive you may be contagious which is the issue.

Question: If you reduce the resident population and move them out "as fast as possible", where do they go? Many seniors are in nursing homes which, by definition, provide 24 hour access to skilled nursing care. Sending them to live with family may not be possible and in many cases, will put them at greater risk. I have a parent in a long term care facility so my family is deeply immersed in all the challenges. All I know is that there are no simplistic answers.

Correct: there are no easy answers. I had a friend who had to put her mother in a skilled nursing facility over an hour away in the next county because she could not find a local bed here in Kansas City.

Correct that home care may not be doable.

My father was a wise man who said: “I would rather be young, rich and healthy than old, poor and sick.”???

Correct: there are no easy answers. I had a friend who had to put her mother in a skilled nursing facility over an hour away in the next county because she could not find a local bed here in Kansas City.

Correct that home care may not be doable.

My father was a wise man who said: “I would rather be young, rich and healthy than old, poor and sick.”???

Exactly. There are no easy answers given the patient in question may have been exposed to novel coronavirus in her current nursing home. So moving to another nursing home is a problem, a big problem.

Most of the long term and short term care facilities in my area have many CoVid patients. They have set up a separate area and supply the staff with PPE to see those patients. There are also areas for PUI (patients under investigation) areas where patients are placed while waiting the result.

As for people who test positive working, most facilities are allowing people who have been exposed to work using social isolation and a mask. Some facilities are requiring 14 day isolation if there is a know exposure.

In general, f you are positive, unless you are working from home, you are not working,

Exactly. There are no easy answers given the patient in question may have been exposed to novel coronavirus in her current nursing home. So moving to another nursing home is a problem, a big problem.

Not really. Many senior living centers and skilled nursing homes have protocols for new residents. Those protocols may call for testing and isolation until it is considered safe to place new residents in a permanent room.

Not really. Many senior living centers and skilled nursing homes have protocols for new residents. Those protocols may call for testing and isolation until it is considered safe to place new residents in a permanent room.

You are assuming the family has as much experience as you or me. Not everyone is socially knowledgeable to "put on their big pants." You must know that from your volunteer work

Most of the staff at long term care facilities are not nurses.

I tend to think you have not got the facts right.

Where are you getting this information?

Most of the long term and short term care facilities in my area have many CoVid patients. They have set up a separate area and supply the staff with PPE to see those patients. There are also areas for PUI (patients under investigation) areas where patients are placed while waiting the result.

As for people who test positive working, most facilities are allowing people who have been exposed to work using social isolation and a mask. Some facilities are requiring 14 day isolation if there is a know exposure.

In general, f you are positive, unless you are working from home, you are not working,

That sounds fairly complicated at a time where so many people are so concerned about contacting novel coronavirus.

My friend works in a nursing home, and Covid-19 has broken out. She is home sick with it now, and I am really worried. The director didn't do enough to protect the residents or the staff. It started because they admitted a new resident who tested negative but was positive. Nobody even appropriately assessed her to realize she was not a good fit for the nursing hom. She left after three days, but now it's spreading. One nurse went into a positive patient's room without PPE. Another nurse told an aid to report to work even though she was coughing because she didn't give enough notice (of course, no one wakes up extra early in case they wake up with Covid-19). The aid hung up on her.

These nursing homes need to realize that five open beds is not worse than 35 when your residents are wiped out. I would apply pressure on administration if I had a family member in such a facility and could not take them home with me. Nobody makes good decisions when their top priority is money.

My friend works in a nursing home, and Covid-19 has broken out. She is home sick with it now, and I am really worried. The director didn't do enough to protect the residents or the staff. It started because they admitted a new resident who tested negative but was positive. Nobody even appropriately assessed her to realize she was not a good fit for the nursing hom. She left after three days, but now it's spreading. One nurse went into a positive patient's room without PPE. Another nurse told an aid to report to work even though she was coughing because she didn't give enough notice (of course, no one wakes up extra early in case they wake up with Covid-19). The aid hung up on her.

These nursing homes need to realize that five open beds is not worse than 35 when your residents are wiped out. I would apply pressure on administration if I had a family member in such a facility and could not take them home with me. Nobody makes good decisions when their top priority is money.

I am not surprised. Nursing home are trying to do their best, I assume. But, of course, they often fall short.