Please humor me on these Covid-19 questions ...

ericwinters
This topic is 1442 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• How are we going to social distance in public restrooms... from sporting events, the shopping mall and those wild and crazy toilets at your favorite gay dive bar?
  • Will we see a decrease in marriage and birth rates?
  • How do we social distance at the gas pumps? I've not had to get gas since March 16.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gas pumps - I'm in the same boat as you, I'm driving so little that I haven't stopped at a gas station since mid-March. But in these days of card readers at the pump, it's been a long time since I've been close to any person when getting gas.

Social distancing at the gas pump isn't the problem: handling the equipment is. Suddenly, getting gas in Oregon and New Jersey, where you stay in your car and the gas is pumped by an attendant, begins to look like a safety measure.

Edited by Charlie

• How are we going to social distance in public restrooms... from sporting events, the shopping mall and those wild and crazy toilets at your favorite gay dive bar?
  • Will we see a decrease in marriage and birth rates?
  • How do we social distance at the gas pumps? I've not had to get gas since March 16.

Marriage rates may decline, because getting married is suddenly harder, but there may be a spike in the birth rates in nine months, with couples at home all the time with nothing else to do.

Gas pumps - I'm in the same boat as you, I'm driving so little that I haven't stopped at a gas station since mid-March. But in these days of card readers at the pump, it's been a long time since I've been close to any person when getting gas.

My gas station is closed, but open for self service with creditcard….. works like a charm, and no human contact..... I think we will see many changes in businesses, many adopting a self-service model.....

Perhaps in facilities that have public bathrooms, we will see those plastic shields between urinals, like they have now in grocery stores ? And its really up to YOU to put space between yourself and others. All businesses can do is provide standard protections like shields.....

It's easy enough to take a Clorox wipe on the gas pump. I do that and then clean off my hands with sanitizer after and wash my hands of course when I get home.

At my local Target, the put tape over every other urinal and on the toilet in the middle so I guess there is some social distancing there. I'm assuming they clean it regularly, though it wasn't obviously clean when I went in to tinkle. I wore my mask and washed my hands right after doing my business. Opened the door with a paper towel. Faucets and soap had those laser things on them that only work after you put your hand next to them a dozen times or so. I think it worked ok.

I just finished a conference call with work where the topic was the eventual reopening of our offices and the measures that will be required, such as constantly disinfecting your office/workstation, not being able to use the refrigerators, ice machine, microwaves, requiring masks (actual surgical masks, not bandanas, which the employees will be responsible for purchasing), using personal cell phones and not office phones since they’d be full of germs (which would be my germs, but that’s another conversation), not using common printers/copy machines, removing chairs from conference rooms, and determining a rotating shift to ensure adequate social distancing between employees.

By the end of the call, we pretty much agreed that the benefit of being back in the office doesn’t come close to the risk and effort involved to get there and maintain it. Sure, it would be nice to see each other in person, albeit at a minimum of 6 feet while wearing masks. No one was comfortable telling employees that in addition to our recent pay cut, we’re requiring the use of surgical masks which you need to purchase. Our inability to use the refrigerators and microwaves means having to go out and buy lunch every day.

We all agreed that everyone is working efficiently from home and these measures were an unnecessary burden on both the employees and company. We’re playing it a month at a time, but at this point, regardless of the stay-at-home order being lifted. we don’t plan on physically returning until it’s without these extraordinary measures.

My gas station is closed, but open for self service with creditcard….. works like a charm, and no human contact..... I think we will see many changes in businesses, many adopting a self-service model.....

Corona viruses are most often transmitted through hand to object contact, less commonly human-to-human. The issue with the gas pump is that the handle everybody uses would be the source of transmission. I did hear on 60 Minutes last Sunday, however, that the virus is quickly knocked out by ultraviolet light/sunlight (within seconds). If it weren't, the handle would have to be sanitized between each customer. The handle of a urinal or toilet which isn't auto-flush, and located indoors, would be a potential for transmission.

Corona viruses are most often transmitted through hand to object contact, less commonly human-to-human. The issue with the gas pump is that the handle everybody uses would be the source of transmission. I did hear on 60 Minutes last Sunday, however, that the virus is quickly knocked out by ultraviolet light/sunlight (within seconds). If it weren't, the handle would have to be sanitized between each customer. The handle of a urinal or toilet which isn't auto-flush, and located indoors, would be a potential for transmission.

Indeed, and hence my second post about taking our own precautions. We will need to carry packets of sanitary wipes to wipe the objects of possible germ transmission. Its a whole new awareness, but better safe than sorry....

Indeed, and hence my second post about taking our own precautions. We will need to carry packets of sanitary wipes to wipe the objects of possible germ transmission. Its a whole new awareness, but better safe than sorry....

Where do you find sanitary wipes? I certainly haven't seen them in stores.

Social distancing at the gas pump isn't the problem: handling the equipment is. Suddenly getting gas in Oregon and New Jersey, where you stay in your car and the gas is pumped by an attendant, begins to look like a safety measure.

But gloves and hand sanitizer carried in the car at all times minimize risks like pin pads...? And wear a mask of course.

I keep squares of paper towels wet with a 10-20% bleach solution in a small ziplock bag in my pocket.

My kitchen issue has been handled by a squirt bottle of Clorox 50/50 with water, and paper towels or dish towels. Both bleach and paper towels had been in short supply, but for me those are freeing up locally.

Sorry guys, attendant gas pumpers in Oregon are gone, another victim of the "rona. Rationale is that the pumpers are in an unsafe job with no protection from the public, so now they aren't working except for one to two guys at each station, showing native Oregonians how to pump fuel. Gotta get back into the mindset from when I lived elsewhere, keeping a pair of gloves in the back of the car for the handle and data screen/card reader.

I just finished a conference call with work where the topic was the eventual reopening of our offices and the measures that will be required, such as constantly disinfecting your office/workstation, not being able to use the refrigerators, ice machine, microwaves, requiring masks (actual surgical masks, not bandanas, which the employees will be responsible for purchasing), using personal cell phones and not office phones since they’d be full of germs (which would be my germs, but that’s another conversation), not using common printers/copy machines, removing chairs from conference rooms, and determining a rotating shift to ensure adequate social distancing between employees.

At my office, the plan will be to gradually return the team to work over the next 90 days with most of the team still working from home each day. While masks would be requested, accommodations will be considered for those that express concerns about wearing one. Refrigerators and microwaves can be used, but you are expected to clean the microwave after using. And you will need to wipe down the copier/printer if you use it.

And elevators will be limited to two concurrent riders. Fortunately we already have dividers between urinals in the men's room. However, if there is a line, it needs to be outside the rest room at the six feet distance. (It seems in my area of the office, we must all be on the same meeting schedule and have meetings wrap up and we all sprint to the men's room at the same time so there is always a line at the top of the hour.)

Edited by sam.fitzpatrick

I think ultimately we are going to find that gloves and masks together with just moderate distancing drop risks very substantially. The places they aren't working are nursing homes where the real issue is everybody is so close together and aides can't strip off and re-don equipment between each patient because it would take too long.

Remember, the purpose for masks is when you CAN'T stay six feet apart. Six feet apart plus masks I'd be very surprised if they could show a transmission happened that way.

Bathrooms are easy enough to address - take the door off every other stall. Which, frankly, most should do anyway because it's not cool to be pooping right next to a coworker...

Sorry guys, attendant gas pumpers in Oregon are gone, another victim of the "rona. Rationale is that the pumpers are in an unsafe job with no protection from the public, so now they aren't working except for one to two guys at each station, showing native Oregonians how to pump fuel. Gotta get back into the mindset from when I lived elsewhere, keeping a pair of gloves in the back of the car for the handle and data screen/card reader.

That's weird. Jersey still has them. They wear masks and gloves plus they're outdoors, I doubt the risk is particularly high. I'd think the cashier inside the convenience store is much more at risk given the air circulation.

IRemember, the purpose for masks is when you CAN'T stay six feet apart. Six feet apart plus masks I'd be very surprised if they could show a transmission happened that way.

I don't trust the "6-foot" rule at all. Studies have shown the virus staying airborne for up to 2 hours and spreading 20 feet pretty easily with any air flow. I only trust masks and glasses in grocery stores or in public. Gloves or frequent hand sanitizer are equally good and I spray disinfectant on all home door handles and clothes worn outside. Sidewalks around me are very crowded with people not wearing masks and that concerns me most.