Look What They Done To My Chips Ahoy!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 1400 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

(With Acknowledgment to Melanie for the thread title)

I just bought a package of Chips Ahoy for the first time in a long time. These were the go-to cookies of my childhood. I mean yes, obviously my Mom bought Oreos too. But Chips Ahoy were my jam so to speak.

And I've noticed this before. But this time it made a big impression. I think the cookies are smaller than they used to be. Anyone else concur?

Gman

I just bought a package of Chips Ahoy for the first time in a long time. These were the go-to cookies of my childhood. I mean yes, obviously my Mom bought Oreos too. But Chips Ahoy were my jam so to speak.

And I've noticed this before. But this time it made a big impression. I think the cookies are smaller than they used to be. Anyone else concur?

Gman

never liked Chips Ahoy because they were hard....later, they came out with soft Chips Ahoy, but, even in my childhood, I wondered what artificial thing they had to do in the factory to make them soft......Mom's homemade, of course, trumped all......

everything is smaller than it used to be in our childhood.......including that huge steep hill that was a thrill in the winter for sledding.....now that goddamn thing is just a short little slope........

YouCantGoHomeAgain.jpg

never liked Chips Ahoy because they were hard....later, they came out with soft Chips Ahoy, but, even in my childhood, I wondered what artificial thing they had to do in the factory to make them soft......Mom's homemade, of course, trumped all......

everything is smaller than it used to be in our childhood.......including that huge steep hill that was a thrill in the winter for sledding.....now that goddamn thing is just a short little slope........

YouCantGoHomeAgain.jpg

everything is smaller than it used to be in our childhoods

Even with this being the case, I'm fairly sure that Chips Ahoy are actually smaller than they were.

Mom's homemade, of course, trumped all......

My Mom was a great cook. But for the most part I don't remember her baking cookies that much until my bar mitzvah. My mother must have made a hundred or so cookies of different types. She also did the same for my cousin's bar mitzvah two years later. I remember us transporting them in the car for a 330 mile journey.

......including that huge steep hill that was a thrill in the winter for sledding.....now that goddamn thing is just a short little slope........

I grew up on the South Plains of Texas. No real hills. The only time I can remember ever almost 'sledding' is in college when we took a cafeteria tray down a loading ramp leading into a basement storage area one time when it snowed.

Gman

everything is smaller than it used to be in our childhoods

Even with this being the case, I'm fairly sure that Chips Ahoy are actually smaller than they were.

Mom's homemade, of course, trumped all......

My Mom was a great cook. But for the most part I don't remember her baking cookies that much until my bar mitzvah. My mother must have made a hundred or so cookies of different types. She also did the same for my cousin's bar mitzvah two years later. I remember us transporting them in the car for a 330 mile journey.

......including that huge steep hill that was a thrill in the winter for sledding.....now that goddamn thing is just a short little slope........

I grew up on the South Plains of Texas. No real hills. The only time I can remember ever almost 'sledding' is in college when we took a cafeteria tray down a loading ramp leading into a basement storage area one time when it snowed.

Gman

• 1 month later...

Gman

Yes. I bought some last night and they are, indeed, smaller. I think they did that to fit more cookies in a package (cut some calories, maybe) and to make the packages shorter so more would fit in the shelf.

Only seeing the beginning of your post, I thought the word to follow was going to be "reruns". Never have enough Ponch.

Oh and the wrong answer to give you that Chips Ahoy! asked me to pass along : the cookies are the same size, you're just getting bigger so they seem smaller. P.S. the makers of McDonald's Filet-O-Fish and the Yiddish company that makes Gefilte Fish wanted me to pass along the same opinion. :)

Yes. I bought some last night and they are, indeed, smaller. I think they did that to fit more cookies in a package (cut some calories, maybe)

No, I think the idea is to make you think you're getting more product. You might be getting more actual cookies, but they're not telling you they're not as big as they used to be. So you're not really getting more.

Or, the other usual packaging scam is to make the package a little smaller but keep it at the same price, so it's actually a rise in price without admitting it.

Totino's Party Pizza, a mainstay of broke college students, is much-downsized, too. I recently tried it again after many years since college. Though still very good, what a sad little pie it has become.

Edited by azdr0710

I also swear that the glass in the deli and fresh meat case are magnified. The steaks are huge, but when I get them home they seem so much smaller. Fish too - fillets are smaller, lobster tails shrink to shrimp. And it’s not my eyes!

When is the last time one could buy a bag of chips or a box of cereal? If you really need a bag of chips or a box of cereal, you better by two of it. :mad:

At the warehouse stores, the bags and boxes are the size to feel a small army, while the "regular" size is enough to feed an ant that's hungry.