Entertainment 'geniuses' that didn't entertain you at all

samhexum
This topic is 1135 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Bob Hope. the unfunniest comedian ever.

He was also mean spirited. He was deservedly booed in NYC while during the AIDS epidemic he remarked that it was not known if the Statue of Liberty was infected with AIDS by the Staten Island Ferry (fairy) or the mouth of the Hudson (mocking Rock Hudson's illness).

My father managed a medium market affiliate, came to San Francisco to attend the National Assn. of Broadcasters convention,

and invited me to the awards show a couple of years after Mayor George Mascone and Sup. Harvey Milk were assassinated.

Hope was the master of ceremonies [sic], and told fag jokes in the convention center which had been renamed for Mascone.

I seriously considered standing up and calling him out about it, but kept my mouth shut out of deference to my father who would have unjustly suffered for my actions, and for the fact that Hope was clearly in his late eighties, running on autopilot, and almost certainly incapable of change.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Her performance as Valerie Cherish in The Comeback was incredible.

It's tough to watch, but once you realize how she's crafted the character, it's a slow-motion car wreck you can't help but stay glued to.

She's an underrated and incredibly talented actress.

I guess I will have to try it again. I watched the first couple of episodes and gave up.

Seinfeld.

While I liked the show and cast, I loathed the lead.

Same here. So much so that I've only seen one episode and then only because I was a guest in someone's house. (The only episode I've ever seen is the "Soup Nazi" episode. I'm told that it's a classic. I'd rather watch paint dry.)

Same here. So much so that I've only seen one episode and then only because I was a guest in someone's house. (The only episode I've ever seen is the "Soup Nazi" episode. I'm told that it's a classic. I'd rather watch paint dry.)

Well, then... no soup for you!

At various times, each of the four characters got on my nerves.

• 3 weeks later...
It wasn't until I finally saw her in some of her own movies and television shows that I found Lisa Kudrow talented and funny.

I thought she was amazing as Lucia in "The Opposite of Sex". So different from Phoebe in Friends.

Her performance as Valerie Cherish in The Comeback was incredible. It's tough to watch, but once you realize how she's crafted the character, it's a slow-motion car wreck you can't help but stay glued to. She's an underrated and incredibly talented actress.

Did you know she was cast as Roz on FRASIER but was let go after a few days of filming because she wasn't right for the part? She must have been really bummed when the show became an instant hit ... until the following season when she booked a pilot about six buddies who live in apartments they couldn't possibly afford unless they had trust funds.

• 3 months later...

I agree - and Bob Hope's barrage of stale ""canned" one-liners got tiresome after a couple of minutes. Johnny Carson stated that without the pre-written material Hope was a total bore. He said that Hope "couldn't ad-lib a fart after a baked bean dinner."

Yeah, definitely agree on Bob Hope. Never understood why anyone liked him.