Entertainment 'geniuses' that didn't entertain you at all

samhexum
This topic is 1140 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know Prince was considered a musical genius, but there wasn't one song of his I liked even a little. Granted, I only knew what was played on the radio.

And I absolutely LOATHED (This Is What It Smells Like) When Doves Fry.

I always found Jim Carrey's schtick as entertaining as Prince's vocals.

Ricky Gervais is smug and overbearing.

Tracy Morgan must have a lot of dirt on a lot of people to have had the career he's had.

Chris Rock can be a little funny and entertaining. very little.

Edited by samhexum

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woody Allen films were hit or miss for me and mostly miss (my favorite was "Mighty Aphrodite"). And whatever was "genius" about him went right past me.

I feel the same way about Woody Allen. His earlier somewhat slapstick films (Sleeper, Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex) were good, but later it just seemed to devolve into "look at my psychological issues, they're so funny" - and they weren't.

• 3 weeks later...

It wasn't until I finally saw her in some of her own movies and television shows that I found Lisa Kudrow talented and funny.

I thought she was amazing as Lucia in "The Opposite of Sex". So different from Phoebe in Friends.

Lucia: I don't know how you do it. You're always so nice and so calm. Tom was like that too. It's depressing.

Bill: You're nice.

Lucia: That's how I always felt around you too, like the Baroness in The Sound of Music. While everybody's just singing and climbing an Alp. And I just wanna STUFF THAT GUITAR UP THAT NUN'S ASS! And... ugh!

I thought she was amazing as Lucia in "The Opposite of Sex". So different from Phoebe in Friends.

Lucia: I don't know how you do it. You're always so nice and so calm. Tom was like that too. It's depressing.

Bill: You're nice.

Lucia: That's how I always felt around you too, like the Baroness in The Sound of Music. While everybody's just singing and climbing an Alp. And I just wanna STUFF THAT GUITAR UP THAT NUN'S ASS! And... ugh!

I loved The Opposite of Sex and she was great in it. If you haven't seen it, I also thought she was really great in Happy Endings. Same write/director and actually the entire case is wonderful. Steve Coogan, Bobby Cannavale, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jason Ritter, Laura Dern, even Tom Arnold. Any way if you liked The Opposite of Sex I think you would like this.

It wasn't until I finally saw her in some of her own movies and television shows that I found Lisa Kudrow talented and funny.

Her performance as Valerie Cherish in The Comeback was incredible.

It's tough to watch, but once you realize how she's crafted the character, it's a slow-motion car wreck you can't help but stay glued to.

She's an underrated and incredibly talented actress.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The "geniuses" who created "My Dinner With Andre". I guess we just weren't sophisticated enough to enjoy it like the movie reviewers said we were supposed to be.

I like My Dinner With Andre and all Louis Malle movies, especially Lacombe, Lucien and Murmur of the Heart. But that clip you posted from Waiting for Guffman (great movie) is hilarious. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Bob Hope. the unfunniest comedian ever.

He was also mean spirited. He was deservedly booed in NYC while during the AIDS epidemic he remarked that it was not known if the Statue of Liberty was infected with AIDS by the Staten Island Ferry (fairy) or the mouth of the Hudson (mocking Rock Hudson's illness).

He was also mean spirited. He was deservedly booed in NYC while during the AIDS epidemic he remarked that it was not known if the Statue of Liberty was infected with AIDS by the Staten Island Ferry (fairy) or the mouth of the Hudson (mocking Rock Hudson's illness).

Jesus christ, did he really? Wow. Just, wow.