The Old Man and the Cave (Twilight Zone episode)

Beancounter
This topic is 1461 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This entire COVID-19 pandemic is reminiscent of a Twilight Zone episode “The Old Man in the Cave”. I was watching the news last night where groups of people were protesting to reopen businesses. For some reason this particular episode popped into my head. Rod Serling was not only a great writer but he understood the human condition and just how frail it is.

If you get a chance, watch this episode. It is eerily similar to what we’re going through now.

The analogy to that episode has occurred to me too. As well as another one - "Time Enough At Last" - where a nuclear explosion ironically gives a sole survivor, an insatiable bookworm, all the peace and quiet and time to read every book in the world...until fate intervenes in the smallest but cruelest way. I've been thinking of that episode as we all sit isolated as if we really had time to do all the things we've always wanted, unimpeded - but of course we're unable to.

The analogy to that episode has occurred to me too. As well as another one - "Time Enough At Last" - where a nuclear explosion ironically gives a sole survivor, an insatiable bookworm, all the peace and quiet and time to read every book in the world...until fate intervenes in the smallest but cruelest way. I've been thinking of that episode as we all sit isolated as if we really had time to do all the things we've always wanted, unimpeded - but of course we're unable to.

I łoved that episode. Poor Mr. Beamus (I think that’s his name.). Over the years I’ve come to appreciate The Twilight Zone. Way ahead of its time.