What are you doing about haircuts?

newatthis
This topic is 1434 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's going on 2 months now and I'm beginning to look the way I did in the '70's (if you're a millenial, please inquire for elucidation :)). My barber called before my last scheduled appointment to make sure I knew his salon was closed, and he mentioned I could reach him at the number he was calling from. Yesterday I the light bulb went off and I said to myself "maybe he is doing private appointments." So I called. Alas, he is not. Doing it myself is not an option; I know I'd make a mess of it. Ideas?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going on 2 months now and I'm beginning to look the way I did in the '70's (if you're a millenial, please inquire for elucidation :)). My barber called before my last scheduled appointment to make sure I knew his salon was closed, and he mentioned I could reach him at the number he was calling from. Yesterday I the light bulb went off and I said to myself "maybe he is doing private appointments." So I called. Alas, he is not. Doing it myself is not an option; I know I'd make a mess of it. Ideas?[/quote

I am also beginning to resemble my 70's self, except my locks are more grey than black. My barber is actually doing house calls. But, because I have virtually no human contact at this point, there is no need to get a cut and color since the only people I see are Safeway staff and myself in the mirror. If this stay-at-home order stays in place much longer, I may soon be able to pull my hair back into a pony tail!

It's going on 2 months now and I'm beginning to look the way I did in the '70's (if you're a millenial, please inquire for elucidation :)). My barber called before my last scheduled appointment to make sure I knew his salon was closed, and he mentioned I could reach him at the number he was calling from. Yesterday I the light bulb went off and I said to myself "maybe he is doing private appointments." So I called. Alas, he is not. Doing it myself is not an option; I know I'd make a mess of it. Ideas?

..it’ll grow back by the time things return to “normal.” Why not, who is going to see it? It’s Chewbacca or DIY at this point.

I'm beginning to look the way I did in the '70's (if you're a millenial, please inquire for elucidation

I‘m much older than any millennial @newatthis but I do need clarification.

Have you found the elixir of youth? Is your hair as luscious and lustrous as when you were 40 or so years younger? And if your hair today is the same colour, where did you purchase it? ;-)

I got clippers with graded combs & did it myself. Not too shabby!

A couple days ago Anderson Cooper on CNN was ”crying in his Cosmopolitan“, errrrr beer on how he had given himself a haircut that left him with a bald spot on one side.......

Obviously self waxing some areas is not recommendable but we can always shave.

I am 6 weeks beyond my last haircut....I have thick..bushy...white hair...I'm looking like Einstein...hope to be as smart one day....I am swimming everyday as it's hot here...so eventually I will take my clippers and use a #4 on the top and a #2 on the sides....then use a #1 to edge and a razor to clean up....BTW I am a master barber since 1972...:rolleyes:

I have a baldie, so I just continue my normal routine for shaving my head. For facial hair, I have all of the trimmers and outliners needed for a fresh look.

For those with longer hair, you can just wash/condition it regularly, while keeping the face in tact with trimmers, etc.

Once you’re able to see your barber again, your hair will be so nice and grown out, you’ll be able to experiment with a new cut.

A couple days ago Anderson Cooper on CNN was ”crying in his Cosmopolitan“, errrrr beer on how he had given himself a haircut that left him with a bald spot on one side.......

I saw the clip - - he was adorable and giggly showing the bald spot. :p

I had my last haircut exactly 2 months ago today. Even though I asked my barber to cut it a bit shorter than usual -I am glad I did, premonition?-, it is getting messy and unruly. I cannot pretend to reacquire my 70s look, because my hair is not as luscious as it was back then ?, so I will just have to live with the mess for the time being. Anyway, it doesn’t really matter, because I am basically only seeing my partner now, and he is on the same boat. ?

I already was getting a pretty close to the scalp cut....so I set my adjustable beard trimmer to “5” and took it to hair! First try pretty good, but when I shampooed I could feel uneven spots. Tried/trimmed again the next morning, got an acceptable result??

Normally I go to my barber once per month, and get a #1 razor cut all over. Now it has been 3 months, with almost nothing on top and too much on the sides. Strangely enough, because my hair color is still quite dark, some people are saying I actually look younger than I did before (in the right light I might pass for 65!).

There's the man bun option.

A-photograph-of-a-hipster-male-with-the-perfect-man-bun-hairstyle-placed-on-the-vertex-area-of-his-head-and-styled-with-long-wavy-hair.jpg

I have a set of clippers and attachments at home but DIY is always a challenge IMO.

If Covid had happened back in the 80's, I sure as hell could have done an updo... Ah memories... Alas, now I'm Uncle Fester.

Years ago, I found a hair clipper with a 180 degree rotating head, with different attachments for length, for about $20 at some discount store. I think its a Phillips or Norelco. Easy to use, especially if you're a buzz cut guy like me. Would only use it for a touch ups around the ears between my standing every-two-week appointment, but haven't used it for a long time.

Since no place has been open, so nowhere to go, hasn't bothered me. Now, it's so long for me, and really shows how gray it is, I gotta do something. I want to do it outside on the lawn so I don't get the hair all over the bathroom. The morning paper says it may be almost 70 degrees on Wednesday. Now, I just have to remember where I put it.

Edited by bashful