What is Essential and What Is Not

Epigonos
This topic is 1440 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm trying to keep my sense of humor during this pandemic but it is proving more and more difficult with each passing day. Please take what I'm about to write with a VERY large grain of salt.

Each of us living in different parts of country likely have local candy stores or bands that are damned near sacred cows. Here in Southern California it is Sees Candy which some time ago was bought out by Warren Buffet. Beautifully decorated Sees Candy Easter Eggs are a big deal here. My family has exchanged them since I was a kid -- I'll be 80 in October. Now what I want to know is why are liquor stores essential but Sees Candy stores are not.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to keep my sense of humor during this pandemic but it is proving more and more difficult with each passing day. Please take what I'm about to write with a VERY large grain of salt.

Each of us living in different parts of country likely have local candy stores or bands that are damned near sacred cows. Here in Southern California it is Sees Candy which some time ago was bought out by Warren Buffet. Beautifully decorated Sees Candy Easter Eggs are a big deal here. My family has exchanged them since I was a kid -- I'll be 80 in October. Now what I want to know is why are liquor stores essential but Sees Candy stores are not.

They say in some cases booze can be therapeutic and mood altering.... Candy probably not so much according to the "experts" ?

Hi, Epigonos! Maple and Motor restaurant here in Dallas is my indulgence of choice.....best hamburgers on planet earth!!!

I read a short article about liquor stores being essential businesses. The jist of the story centered on the fact that it was a way for people to “self-medicate” at home during these times. Lot of people are dependent on alcohol and withdrawal symptoms would likely cause people to seek out scarce medical resources at this time. There was reference to the failure of Prohibition in the article too. Who knew Americans were so dependent on booze!

5:30 here in Dallas. Time for a home style happy hour cocktail. :D

My chocolate essential is Twix. Especially in times of stress, to hold those two sticks like cigarettes (even though I don't smoke) and savor the blend of chocolate and caramel with a crunch mmm?

On a regional note regarding holiday time chocolate, during this past Thanksgiving and Christmas season I was in the Northwest for a few days, particularly the PDX area, and the local grocery chain clerks had no idea what I meant by cordial cherries and they did not carry any. Luckily Walgreens almost never fails me and they had plenty of boxes right across the street.

Very interesting point about the alcohol dependence / withdrawals (which can be life threatening) - didn’t come to mind immediately but it makes total sense

Hi, Epigonos! Maple and Motor restaurant here in Dallas is my indulgence of choice.....best hamburgers on planet earth!!!

I read a short article about liquor stores being essential businesses. The jist of the story centered on the fact that it was a way for people to “self-medicate” at home during these times. Lot of people are dependent on alcohol and withdrawal symptoms would likely cause people to seek out scarce medical resources at this time. There was reference to the failure of Prohibition in the article too. Who knew Americans were so dependent on booze!

5:30 here in Dallas. Time for a home style happy hour cocktail. :D

On a regional note regarding holiday time chocolate, during this past Thanksgiving and Christmas season I was in the Northwest for a few days, particularly the PDX area, and the local grocery chain clerks had no idea what I meant by cordial cherries and they did not carry any. Luckily Walgreens almost never fails me and they had plenty of boxes right across the street.

Russell Stover. :)

~Boomer~

Russell Stover. :)

~Boomer~

In the Spring, my grandmother always had Russell Stover pastel colored chocolates. A local Kansas City company that owned the Whitman’s Sampler brand, too. Now owned by Europeans: Lindt.

Kansas City has excellent artisan candy companies, too. Some of the best anywhere.

Well, Epigonos, you are pretty clever in the kitchen. Could you buy the ingredients and make your own candy? My brother-in-law, who usually has trouble making his own breakfast, has been making his own ice cream; he makes an excellent imitation of Ben & Jerry's cherry Garcia.

I don't know if the closure of See's is a corporate decision or a local government decision, but I assume it's the former. There is a specialty chocolate maker/seller near me that's still open, albeit with reduced hours. I think that any business selling any kind of food can still operate in California as long as the food is not consumed on premises.

growing up in Chicago, my mother always bought Fannie May Easter eggs for us; they were wonderful; and Frango mints from Marshall Field's; up until a couple of years ago, I found them at Macy's here, but not lately

In its day, Marshall Field’s was a great store. Those wonderful Frango mints were made in the State Street store so they were always fresh. My grandfather’s office was in the Marshall Field Annex Building and a trip to his office always included a stop to buy a box of mints.

growing up in Chicago, my mother always bought Fannie May Easter eggs for us; they were wonderful; and Frango mints from Marshall Field's; up until a couple of years ago, I found them at Macy's here, but not lately

In its day, Marshall Field’s was a great store. Those wonderful Frango mints were made in the State Street store so they were always fresh. My grandfather’s office was in the Marshall Field Annex Building and a trip to his office always included a stop to buy a box of mints.

Tastes of Chicago website has Frango Mints.....same recipe as yesteryear....hi ho silver.

https://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/frango

See's website says they aren't even selling online.

https://www.sees.com/

There have been rumors for some time about closing See's stores. It hadn't happened, at least not where I live, before the current unpleasantness, but I would assume that if it did, it would be a real estate/employment decision. I do know that the last time I went in and bought something, the usually jovial lady behind the counter was pretty snippy. Maybe it was because I already knew what I wanted - nut-sprinkled, chocolate-covered toffee. Which I can eat all of in one sitting. I shouldn't, but I can't help myself. Nor do I especially want to change my ways.

When I was growing up, in the 50's and 60's, See's was not around our neck of the woods. Russell Stover's was. One of my fondest memories of my mother was her fast asleep on the couch watching Gunsmoke, a half-eaten box of RS chocolate covered cherries on the floor beside her.

Maybe it's genetic.

I don't get the impression that Sees Candy is about to close up shop. They have always been extremely selective where they establish a store. During the last holiday season they opened up a temporary shop within walking distance of my condo. They did such a huge business that they decided to open up a permanent store in the same complex. Unfortunately is was open for only a week before everything was ordered to close down.

I don't get the impression that Sees Candy is about to close up shop. They have always been extremely selective where they establish a store. During the last holiday season they opened up a temporary shop within walking distance of my condo. They did such a huge business that they decided to open up a permanent store in the same complex. Unfortunately is was open for only a week before everything was ordered to close down.

We SoCal babies love us our See’s! I had a very close friend always touted Helen Grace chocolate here in SoCal...not the same!

My senior dad who is always looking for a legitimate reason to break his Covid isolation....wanted to go to See’s a day before Easter....luckily we caught him and kept him know the stores were closed!

Come visit me. I have half a pound of See's candy in the fridge.

I too thought about why stores liquor stores like Binny's here in the Chicago area, that only sells beer, wine, liquor, cigars, mixers, and a few snack foods remain open, but decided it's probably a fairness issue. Why not, every single grocery store, CVS, Walgreen's, Meijer, and most Targets, and Walmart (to some extent) in my area also sell beer, wine, liquor, and snack foods.

The thing that gets me is why the Mayor of Chicago would pose for a photo with the person that cut her hair last week, while every other barber/hairdresser/stylist/colorist in the entire state is unemployed.

Edited by bashful

'Stay at home unless what you are doing out is essential.'

Travelling for work, buying essential supplies, going to a medical appointment and exercising all qualify. Stopping on your walk and sitting on the grass or on a park bench for a coffee does not. Nor, apparently does sunbaking on the beach. So,

[MEDIA=twitter]1251030768316342272[/MEDIA]