Dune 2020

Reisr30

7 hours ago, cany10011 said:

Just watched it at a friend’s. I think I will have to read the books now :)

I haven't read them in decades, but I remember the books being uneven. Dune itself is great.  I remember Dune Messiah being not that great, I liked Children of Dune, and I think I abandoned the fourth book (don't even remember the name) without finishing it. 

On 10/20/2021 at 11:37 AM, MikeBiDude said:

I can’t wait! How long will it be available on HBOMax? 

EDIT: Will be available 31 days on HBOMax

Around DC it's on several IMAX screens, including 2 shows per day at the 6-story tall IMAX at Hruby Air and Space Museum annex in Chantilly, VA where it's also cheaper (justifying the gas lol). We may drive out to see it in a week or two. (I saw it at 6:01 Friday on HBO). 

I want to re-watch the 1st movie but since it covers Part 2 it will be a spoiler (yes I forgot the ending from 38 years ago). 

Edited by tassojunior

38 minutes ago, tassojunior said:

want to re-watch the 1st movie but since it covers Part 2 it will be a spoiler (yes I forgot the ending from 38 years ago). 

I’m a fan of the first movie, have owned it in VHS, Laserdisc, and BlueRay DVD. Very David-Lynch-audio leaning, good soundtrack by Toto. Although it didn’t do well at the box office, it still has a small cadre of faithful (like me!).

Just as easy to lust after Kyle MacLachlan as Timothée.

Re: spoiler…🤷🏻‍♂️ I still can’t wait to see how Part 2 handles it.And of course if you had read the book…

17 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

I’m a fan of the first movie, have owned it in VHS, Laserdisc, and BlueRay DVD. Very David-Lynch-audio leaning, good soundtrack by Toto. Although it didn’t do well at the box office, it still has a small cadre of faithful (like me!).

Just as easy to lust after Kyle MacLachlan as Timothée.

Re: spoiler…🤷🏻‍♂️ I still can’t wait to see how Part 2 handles it.And of course if you had read the book…

Alec Newman and Matt Keeslar wasnt bad to look at either, in the Scifi channel remake from 20 years ago. The follow up “Children of Dune” also had an excellent cast and a rockin sound track. 🕺

Seen it three times in IMAX. The only way to see it IMO.  Loved loved it . Will watch it again . I’m so glad it stuck with the book’s tone and atmosphere.  So happy the director didn’t dumb it down with smartass quips and one liners to pander to the Marvel/DC throng. It’s thoughtful and an immersive visual and aural experience. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/8/2022 at 7:26 PM, MikeBiDude said:

Dune, with 10 academy award nominations, second only to “Power of the Dog”. (12j

spacer.png

I watched it again this weekend.  Tried really hard to like it as much as I did the Scifi channel version from years ago or even the original.  I miss the whole story line with Princess Irulan which sets up the sequel. 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, FrankR said:

I miss the whole story line with Princess Irulan which sets up the sequel. 🤷‍♂️

Wasn’t that narration added post-filming in the David Lynch version because the movie was turning out to be confusing? Mind you I love the original, not wild about the SciFy channel mini-series, but I do like the 2020 version as well.

Only issue for me…I’m distracted by both handsome Kyle Maclachlan and Timothée  Chalamet! 

20 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

Wasn’t that narration added post-filming in the David Lynch version because the movie was turning out to be confusing? Mind you I love the original, not wild about the SciFy channel mini-series, but I do like the 2020 version as well.

Only issue for me…I’m distracted by both handsome Kyle Maclachlan and Timothée  Chalamet! 

it might be.  I remember watching the David Lynch version on broadcast TV mid-80's and the opening narration explaining the relation between the four planets, "Directed by Alan Smithee" in the opening credits.  I later found the story about Alan Smithee  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Smithee