Dune 2020

Reisr30

you mean Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen? The one made infamous by Sting in the early 80's? I didn't see Feyd-Rautha in the IMDB cast listing either. The trivia section says it's being split into two movies - maybe he'll only be in the second?

I didn't know Zendaya was playing Chani, I'm happy to see that.

61iH1Fa87PL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Yes that’s the Feyd I meant. I loved Sting in the 80s version.

I remember seeing it on broadcast TV sometime in the late 80's, and noticed a lot of extra stuff that wasn't in the theater version; most notably some explanation at the start about the background and the four planets most involved (Arrakis, Giedi Prime, Caladan, and Kaitan, where the emperor lived). Then it showed "Alan Smithee" as director, that's where I first heard about directors being able to 'disavow' a film but were only allowed to use that name. David Lynch did that for the broadcast cut of the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Smithee

Edited by poolboy48220

When I finally saw the 1980's version, it reconfirmed deciding David Lynch was not as high and mighty as I'd built him up to be in my head. I am looking forward to the remake, and even though every time I say it someone responds how they love Lynch's Dune, for me it set a very low bar, for example Lynch's horrible, murderous vision of queer influence on things.

dune-lynch-1.jpg?w=800&type=vertical&quality=100&ssl=1 800w

David Lynch’s Dune is What You Get When You Build a Science Fictional World With No Interest in Science Fiction

Edited by E.T.Bass

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else looking forward to the Dune remake? Only thing I can’t figure out is if they aren’t including Feyd Harkonen character. I think that would be a miss and I would be bummed.

I am looking very much forward to this, the director Denis Villeneuve has a lot of good will in my book, so cautiously optimistic. It's a two parter, so Feyd may be coming later.

I am looking very much forward to this, the director Denis Villeneuve has a lot of good will in my book, so cautiously optimistic. It's a two parter, so Feyd may be coming later.

Oh wow, I didn't catch it was a two parter. Yes, let's hope Feyd is in the second part.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Will be on the lookout for this in 2021. One of my favorite books growing up, the 1984 Dune movie and 2000 TV miniseries were disappointing. It would be nice to see an intelligent screen adaptation that keeps the source material’s quality and sense of scale.

Dune is epic science fiction that had a major impact on the genre, including Star Wars. The political, social, religious, technological, and environmental themes are still relevant today. I’m not sure what I think about casting an actress to play Liet Kynes. Both the Imperial and Fremen hierarchies seem very masculine. I hope a female Kynes doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
5 hours ago, poolboy48220 said:

and they've moved the release up a few hours to match theaters showing it early.  It'll be available on HBOMax tomorrow evening.  I've got friends coming over Friday to watch a movie, I may suggest Dune as an alternative to what we've planned. 

I can’t wait! How long will it be available on HBOMax? 

EDIT: Will be available 31 days on HBOMax

It's 2 hours 45 minutes. 

I like it a lot. 4.5 stars. I may go see it again in IMax or 3D.... 65" screen doesn't do it justice (even at 4 ft lol). Many dark scenes.

Only irritating thing for me is the father is that smuck who's also currently playing the father in Bergman's Scenes From a Marriage remake. No Alpha Male that guy.  Obviously he was filming both parts at the same time and it's impossible to keep his two father parts separated.  

Edited by tassojunior

15 hours ago, tassojunior said:

It's 2 hours 45 minutes. 

I like it a lot. 4.5 stars. I may go see it again in IMax or 3D.... 65" screen doesn't do it justice (even at 4 ft lol). Many dark scenes.

Only irritating thing for me is the father is that smuck who's also currently playing the father in Bergman's Scenes From a Marriage remake. No Alpha Male that guy.  Obviously he was filming both parts at the same time and it's impossible keep his two father parts separated.  

Is it Oscar Isaac?  He  is an excellent actor.  And certainly not a smuck.

19 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Is it Oscar Isaac?  He  is an excellent actor.  And certainly not a smuck.

Yes, Oscar Isaac plays Duke Atreides.  I watched it last night and was very impressed.  So much better than the overblown David Lynch version. I'm kind of surprised they haven't confirmed there will be a part 2.