Any good Netflix watches?

If anyone is an old time “Karate Kid” fan....the reboot “Cobra Kai” on Netflix is fun. Although it was on YouTube previously, it’s current release is trending top ten on Netflix right now.

Yes I started watching it yesterday, it’s way better than I thought it would be. They’ve made the characters so much more that its tough to tell who’s right and who’s wrong. Granted Johnny does need to get out of the 80s and into the now and be a little more pc about the world as it is. I was all thinking, damn high school really fucked that dude up...

Yes, W1A is the name of the show. It’s an extension of a previous BBC spoof of the London Olympics. Thanks for the reminder about captioning.

The description of W1A from Netflix: "The new Head of Values at the BBC deals with redefining the company's purpose, events like the arrival of Prince Charles and issues with new programs." It's got Hugh Bonneville from Downton Abbey, and Joel Fry, who had a small but funny part as the stoner friend of the main character in "Yesterday". I've just added it to my list.

Yes, W1A is the name of the show. It’s an extension of a previous BBC spoof of the London Olympics. Thanks for the reminder about captioning.

Oh, it wasn't meant to remind you about anything. (And I am surprised you even could understand what I meant as what I wrote seems to indicate that I really like a good bareback satire. ;) ). In any case, I remember the Olympics spoof and really liked it so thanks for the heads up about this.

Guest NYCRich212

Oh, it wasn't meant to remind you about anything. (And I am surprised you even could understand what I meant as what I wrote seems to indicate that I really like a good bareback satire. ;) ). In any case, I remember the Olympics spoof and really liked it so thanks for the heads up about this.

Lol. BB? I thought you just left off the “C” in error. No really, I hadn’t even thought to use the captioning to make it easier to follow things with all those crazy Brit and Scots accents. I figured, there speaking English, I should figure it out. Gonna watch the series again with captioning, I enjoyed it a lot but I’m sure I missed out on some of the subtleties.

I was looking for the London Olympic parody.

FYI. If you are a Hugh Grant fan, he has a cameo where he plays himself as a real prick. Good stuff all around!

Lol. BB? I thought you just left off the “C” in error. No really, I hadn’t even thought to use the captioning to make it easier to follow things with all those crazy Brit and Scots accents. I figured, there speaking English, I should figure it out. Gonna watch the series again with captioning, I enjoyed it a lot but I’m sure I missed out on some of the subtleties.

I was looking for the London Olympic parody.

FYI. If you are a Hugh Grant fan, he has a cameo where he plays himself as a real prick. Good stuff all around!

It started when I was just watching British comedies on DVDs and they would speak so quickly. Much of the time I would miss much of the wonderful comedic dialogue so I became reliant on subtitles. It actually took me a while to figure out on DVDs you have to go to "Set Up". I get so depressed when I get a DVD where the company fails to have subtitles for whatever reason. I remember I went through a phase when I decided that I wanted to watch early Mike Leigh films. As you know, he is a director from the Manchester and Birmingham areas in England. In most cases I could not understand most of the dialogue and horrifically there were no subtitles so the DVDs went back. That still happens occasionally but it seems that on Netflix most of the films have subtitles (I think it is because it does not offer the early works of may directors that I might not be able to understand.) You just have to make sure that you click on the subtitle option, which will take you to a listing about the language you want, and then go back to the listing where you can ask to play the film. I make sure the English option is chosen every time I go to a film (even if I am returning to it) because sometimes for some reason it will not play with the subtitles.

If you are a Hugh Grant fan, he has a cameo where he plays himself as a real prick.

I hope then [uSER=21620]@NYCRich212[/uSER] that you've seen the movie “Paddington 2“ where HG plays a vain, delusional and fading ’leading man’. It‘s hugely enjoyable but you MUST watch the final credits for an extra surprise.

I hope then [uSER=21620]@NYCRich212[/uSER] that you've seen the movie “Paddington 2“ where HG plays a vain, delusional and fading ’leading man’. It‘s hugely enjoyable but you MUST watch the final credits for an extra surprise.

The Ricky Gervais series "Extras" had a lot of great cameos. David Bowie in one episode, Daniel Radcliffe and Dame Diana Rigg in another.

It started when I was just watching British comedies on DVDs and they would speak so quickly. Much of the time I would miss much of the wonderful comedic dialogue so I became reliant on subtitles. It actually took me a while to figure out on DVDs you have to go to "Set Up". I get so depressed when I get a DVD where the company fails to have subtitles for whatever reason. I remember I went through a phase when I decided that I wanted to watch early Mike Leigh films. As you know, he is a director from the Manchester and Birmingham areas in England. In most cases I could not understand most of the dialogue and horrifically there were no subtitles so the DVDs went back. That still happens occasionally but it seems that on Netflix most of the films have subtitles (I think it is because it does not offer the early works of may directors that I might not be able to understand.) You just have to make sure that you click on the subtitle option, which will take you to a listing about the language you want, and then go back to the listing where you can ask to play the film. I make sure the English option is chosen every time I go to a film (even if I am returning to it) because sometimes for some reason it will not play with the subtitles.

AMEN! I’m not quite at the hearing aid stage yet (despite what people tell me) but I rely on closed captions for all viewing. But for the Brit comedies I wish there was a feature like that Audible.Com has. On Audible you can speed up or slow down the dialogue. There’s a wonderful Learning Company course on early Christian theology [YAWN] taught by a professor that is shaped and dresses like Jiggs in the old Maggie and Jiggs cartoon. He can bore you to tears wandering back and forth talking about Arian heresy or Donatists but when you switch the speed to 1.5x he dances and sings and the topic becomes far more interesting.

I'm very much looking forward to Netflix's movie "Enola Holmes", based on the young adult series of books (I just finished the first book in the series and have the others on hold at the library). Enola is Sherlock Holmes' younger sister, played by Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven from Stranger Things). From the looks of the trailer, it looks to take some liberties with the book, but it looks like a lot of fun.

AMEN! I’m not quite at the hearing aid stage yet (despite what people tell me) but I rely on closed captions for all viewing. But for the Brit comedies I wish there was a feature like that Audible.Com has. On Audible you can speed up or slow down the dialogue. There’s a wonderful Learning Company course on early Christian theology [YAWN] taught by a professor that is shaped and dresses like Jiggs in the old Maggie and Jiggs cartoon. He can bore you to tears wandering back and forth talking about Arian heresy or Donatists but when you switch the speed to 1.5x he dances and sings and the topic becomes far more interesting.

I am always kind of embarrassed because when I go into most of the selection for English subtitles for some reason I do not choose the merely "English" subtitle but rather "English for the Deaf or Hard of Hearing." Fortunately, I am neither but it tells me not only the words but also that water is crashing. :) Rather pathetic.

And one of the best series Borgen is now streaming on Netflix.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/borgen

Liked it so much I bought the boxed set so I could see it again and loan it to friends.

Began watching Borgen and so far (3 episodes) have really liked it. The acting is very good. Unlike most series I am actually watching the English dubbed series and it is done very well. It is very odd though because I started to watch it as a subtitled series but then switched to dubbed. However, it then came through as both and you can see the difference between the dubbed version and the subtitled version. I have never seen that before. The only other thing that disappointed me was that one of the really, really handsome characters that was in the first episode was killed off very quickly. I at least wanted to see him naked in one episode. Silly me.

• 2 weeks later...

The Untold History of the United States

Excellent documentary for history buffs and it explains in simple terms why we are where we're at today as a nation!

saw this as I was scrolling around looking for something to watch.......but when I saw "Oliver Stone", I decided it'd be too conspiracy theory and kooky.......was I wrong?.....should I persevere?!

Sorry. I found it breathtakingly beautiful and gratuitously gory. I didn’t make it thru the first episode.

The Netflix promo compared it to American Horror Story. That didn't sound like anything I'd enjoy. The Pilot reminded me of the other Ryan Murphy Netflix productions, a lot of frosting and a great cast. I agree, it's gory. I may not continue past epi 2.

saw this as I was scrolling around looking for something to watch.......but when I saw "Oliver Stone", I decided it'd be too conspiracy theory and kooky.......was I wrong?.....should I persevere?!

Yes, I think you're wrong. Nothing is theory here and everything said is verifiable. It's true history and explains a lot why we're at where we're at today. I think you should persevere and watch the whole series. I took it a few episodes at a time.

I am always kind of embarrassed because when I go into most of the selection for English subtitles for some reason I do not choose the merely "English" subtitle but rather "English for the Deaf or Hard of Hearing." Fortunately, I am neither but it tells me not only the words but also that water is crashing. :) Rather pathetic.

I also choose that option because I've found that sometimes added explanations are added that otherwise I'd have missed in background noise/sounds or setting notes! Especially helpful with foreign films I find.

I think that you should accept your basic premise that he may or may not have conspiracy theories in his work. However the answer is always to investigate and see if the information has been found to be correct or if separate and apart from his work has been established. The breadth of his work is so wide and has been distinguished to be exceptional to some extent that I find I haven't lost much if I do watch it. Unfortunately, some of his works I can't make it through because it is violent but that is because the episodes he depicts are themselves violent. However is it his fault or rather the forces that engaged in what is being shown.