I'm still around

jasoncarter_dfw
This topic is 1489 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Don't Forget The Peas! :p

shit-on-a-shingle-recipe.jpg

https://www.cooksinfo.com/shit-on-a-shingle-recipe

Shit on a Shingle Recipe

Shit on a Shingle made with creamed, chipped beef is a classic American military dish. This recipe makes enough for one person for lunch or a light supper; you can easily multiply this recipe as needed. We've tried to make it just a bit healthier than normal by lightening up the white sauce.

Prep Time10 mins

Cook Time5 mins

Total Time15 mins

Course: Beef, Lunch

Servings: 1

Author: CooksInfo

Ingredients

Instructions

• Chop up the chipped beef roughly, set aside.
  • Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat along with a few dashes of ground pepper (optional: a dash of ground nutmeg, a pinch of onion powder or a tablespoon of minced onion, a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, a squirt of mustard.) Don't let the butter brown. As soon as it's just all melted, add the flour, and whisk it in. Let cook for a minute, then whisk in half the milk.As soon as it's absorbed, whisk in the remainder of the milk, then stir in the chipped beef, and set the heat to low.
  • Pop the bread in the toaster. When it's toasted, arrange the two slices of toast and spoon the beef mixture on top of both.
  • Serve piping hot.
  • If you're serving for lunch or dinner, add some side veg for a complete meal.

Notes

You can use white or brown bread. If you aren't counting calories, regular milk is fine -- we just tried to make the dish a bit lower in calories. 1/3 cup is about 3 oz or 75 ml. Feel free to use a bit more to make the sauce runnier if you like. Feel free to adjust and play with seasoning; most people seem to feel it's salty enough from the beef without adding more salt.

my Dad, a former Navy officer and pilot, loved SOS.....hell, even fancy schmancy Stouffer's makes it!

Classics_For%20One_Creamed_Chipped_Beef.jpg

That Stouffers is my go to if not making it from scratch.

A Lenten version from my childhood was a can of tuna and Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom heated together over toast.

Sorry but the peas ruined it for me. My mom always put hard boiled eggs in SOS and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.

Peas were one of the three vegetables I ate as a child with the other two being (canned) green beans and mashed potatoes (yes I know potatoes are a starch). My palate as an adult has expanded slightly to broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers-oh and if it's in a stew or vegetable soup, I'll eat almost any veggie. Peas are still in my top two-although I prefer the canned very young sweet peas to the frozen.

Gman

Peas were one of the three vegetables I ate as a child with the other two being (canned) green beans and mashed potatoes (yes I know potatoes are a starch). My palate as an adult has expanded slightly to broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers-oh and if it's in a stew or vegetable soup, I'll eat almost any veggie. Peas are still in my top two-although I prefer the canned very young sweet peas to the frozen.

Gman

Peas are also a starch.