"Donate to Dancers"

This topic is 1479 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I subscribe to quite a few "stripper bar" sites on Facebook. Lately I have noticed that several bars have been offering ways to donate to various specific dancers through sites like Go Fund Me, etc. None of my regular dancers have come up yet. I haven't decided yet how I feel about this, but I guess if one knows the dancer it might be a nice gesture.

I subscribe to quite a few "stripper bar" sites on Facebook. Lately I have noticed that several bars have been offering ways to donate to various specific dancers through sites like Go Fund Me, etc. None of my regular dancers have come up yet. I haven't decided yet how I feel about this, but I guess if one knows the dancer it might be a nice gesture.

If this has anything to do with Montreal, the federal parliament is sitting on Tuesday to consider legislation to implement a number of new programs. One is an Emergency Benefit for self-employed, of up to $450 per week for lost income. Dancers in Montreal would be able to apply for that federal program based on loss of income.

Loss of income will be predicated on a deflation of previous earned reported income via annual federal and provincial income tax returns. The program will be administered by Canada Revenue Agency, tracing the income declaration footprints of the ‘self-employed’.

You cannot just line up for a handout saying you made a few thousand weekly or monthly at Stock/Campus and never got around to reporting it and paying taxes. The marginal tax rate for many dancers exceeds 35%. How many bills jammed down panties made it to an income declaration spreadsheet.

In contrast, a trainer or massage therapist, or server declaring tips, having been transparent, will qualify.

A dancer with no employment prospect going forward may qualify for a small Goods and Services tax rebate, or maybe a generic program for previously ‘unemployed’ with no imminent opportunity of upcoming wage earnings.

Marginal rate does not equal total income rate. A marginal rate exceeds 33% at a threshold well under total income of $100,000 ... but enough about that.

Many young people do not file returns even when income tallies from employers are cc’d to Revenue authorities. Filing a return for 2019 will require digital savvy as most 3rd party preparers are now remote and using online forms no less complex than those provided by RevCan and RevQc. Moreover, deadlines are pushed back to this summer and workers that have not set aside funds will defer filing in order to avoid large tax invoices.

What I am guessing is the emerg benefit for self-employed will hinge on 2018 reported income. Means testing tends to lag 15-18 months behind the endpoint of the latest tax return.

Edited by SirBIllybob

Go to simpletax.ca for QC. Plug in 75000 self/employed ... ave rate 32%, marginal 37%, net about 50,000

I live here. Tax among the highest in nation. For a moderate income you pay the equivalent of a substantial holiday abroad compared to Ontario.

I've always declared all of my self-employed income, makes life a lot simpler. Taxes are bulk buying, makes it cheaper to get social goods built.

Can I ask which sites? I haven’t seen this yet, but it makes sense.

The

I live in Chicago, and the requests I have seen have been on FB. Many gay bars in Chicago have posted "general" donation sites, so the money goes to the bar in general. But several gay bars have posted individual donation sites for individual dancers, showing their picture in case you don't remember their names. I have also seen requests from The Corner Pocket in New Orleans.