Metropolitan Opera to stream free operas according to Vulture

Cash4Trash
This topic is 1488 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Supposedly, this will continue throughout the hiatus, which realistically at this point, means the rest of the season. The Met website as of today still claims they're only closed through March 31st - but with the current restrictions in NYC (and a possible "shelter in place" being heavily considered), I don't see them reopening in April. Which is very sad.

The other issue is that the Met website can't take the enormous response to the streaming - as of tonight they have actually set up a waiting queue. But if you have the Met On Demand app, it's an easier way to get in. If you subscribe, as I do, to the Met On Demand service, all of the videos they're currently showing are already accessible on the site. But it's great that they're making them free for others. I didn't see last night's carmen or tonight's Boheme, but I'm hoping to be on in "real time" to watch the Trovatore on Wednesday. Even in this case with a pre-taped archive performance, it's fun to feel like a lot of people are watching it together.

I can only take just so much Wagner in a short period.

I streamed (as a new subscriber) the version of Carmen they opened with and then went WAY back to the first HD simulcast ... a version of Magic Flute with costumes and effects by Julie Taymor. AMAZING ... even though it was sung in English, which wouldn't have been my choice.

BTW ... the Vienna Staatsoper (sp?) and the Paris Opera are both also streaming. (Lots more Wagner from Vienna, of course.)