Not if, when

purplekow
This topic is 1506 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As a health care worker, I knew it would eventually be the case that the coronavirus would strike close to home. A good friend of mine is an Xray tech and he just found out he was exposed to the coronavirus from an ER patient who is now on life support. He works in a hospital in northern NJ.

My friend tells me the hospital does not have a cogent plan as to how to handle this and he is being asked to work despite having had direct contact with the patient,

The other two local hospitals here have had their first cases and my guess is my hospital will have one very soon. Our disaster plan is also a work in progress at this time. The concerns are having enough staff to take care of the sick patients. It seems the hospital is also very short on gloves and facemarks.

This virus will present all kinds of logistical problems and the costs to the health care industry will be very high. Of course there will be morality and mortality.

Hopefully this will peak soon.. The weather is changing and that speaks well for controlling most coronaviruses.

My employer activated its disaster and business continuity plans today. Pending the results of a massive work remote test, everyone who can work remote will be required to do so for six weeks, including non-exempt workers. Essentially, unless a job requires one to be at the office (such as people who scan documents, work in a bank branch, service ATMs, or work in the cash vault) they will be working from home. No client visits, no conferences, no work events, no vendors allowed on-site.

My hat goes off to all the health care workers who must go to work every day to treat the sick. You are doing in incredible service. Thank you.

I visited a friend in a nursing home yesterday and asked a manager what they were doing about COVID-19. She said she didn’t have details on that and I should as the case nurse. The nurse said “we’re asking sick family members to not visit” and “following our usual protocols.”

That didn’t inspire confidence.

My husband’s employer is suspending in person classes and telling the students to not return to campus. He’s not faculty so they’ve told him that if he’s not “essential” then if they close he campus he’ll have to take that time off. But they won’t let him use his Reserve Time Off bank and that he has to use his PTO bank and if he doesn’t have enough time then he doesn’t get paid.

I feel for all the healthcare employees. I work for the State government so I can telecommute if I have to.

We already had to cancel a once in a lifetime trip to the Maldives at a very expensive cost because we couldn’t get cancel for any reason insurance. Governor Cuomo only announced 3 days ago that they’re now allowed to sell that in our state after a 10 year ban on it

i hope everyone stays healthy and again I truly feel for anyone in a financial or health situation here. This sucks for everyone