Toy Boy on Netflix

This topic is 1340 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question for all Toy Boy fans, is it worth watching? I read on imdb.com it's so bad that it's good, that is, the plot & acting are pretty bad, yet it's a great guilty pleasure. I'm sure all the eye candy helps.

I'm thinking of signing up for a free month of Netflix just to binge-watch the show. The catch is if you do a free month, you aren't eligible for another freebie for a long time. So if Toy Boy isn't guilty-pleasure good, I'll just save my free month for another time. Thanks in advance for all opinions.

PS: does Netflix offer the show in original Spanish? Dubbing drives me bonkers.

A question for all Toy Boy fans, is it worth watching? I read on imdb.com it's so bad that it's good, that is, the plot & acting are pretty bad, yet it's a great guilty pleasure. I'm sure all the eye candy helps.

I'm thinking of signing up for a free month of Netflix just to binge-watch the show. The catch is if you do a free month, you aren't eligible for another freebie for a long time. So if Toy Boy isn't guilty-pleasure good, I'll just save my free month for another time. Thanks in advance for all opinions.

@BSR... The review you wrote of Toy Boy is quite accurate. I certainly won’t sign up just to see this show. However, a free month of Netflix will give you an opportunity to view other shows that are reviewed in the TV forum.

I still haven’t gotten through Season 1 of Toy Boy. Each episode is over an hour and, every time you think they’ve discovered the murderer, there’s another twist.

Yes, you can choose the original language. The English dubbing is rather good.

Avoid at all cost @BSR. The dubbing is only so so. In one scene in a late episode the mic of one key dubber was apparently off. Moreover the closed captions are often significantly different. Plus the plot becomes increasingly farfetched. While the dancing is really great how is it that a small below ground bar in a small city like Malaga can afford such a large number of elaborate costumes. HOWEVER the scenery - yes including the eye candy - is spectacular. Moreover there’s a moving subplot involving one of the dancers and young victim. And yes I binge watched - until 3:30 am one morning. I was ultimately disappointed with ending and it’s many loose ends but can’t for season two.

For Netflix subscribers, Toy Boy is like a mix of the 20+ episode Spanish mystery series Mer de Plastico of several years ago meets the movie Magic Mike.

@Cooper, @latbear4blk & @g56whiz, thank you all for your responses.

I took the plunge for a free month. I'm glad I did because Netflix offers so many other great shows I want to watch. Of course, I started off by binge-watching Toy Boy, which I am not glad I did. As expected, the acting & script were pretty lousy. Some of the supporting cast was OK, but the three leads - the framed stripper, his lawyer, and his sugarmama - were really weak, IMO. I stuck it out mostly to find out what happened. When all was revealed, oh please, who wrote that sh*t??

Unfortunately, it fell short of guilty pleasure because I liked only one of the strippers. Germán is so gorgeous that I would gladly watch 13 episodes of him reading from the phone book, as long as he's wearing a thong. How frustrating that he was such a peripheral character. The other 4 were fit young lads but just not my type at all. I did like the subplot with the gay stripper Jairo, however.

I don't know if the show had an anti-prostitution slant. In the first few episodes, the protagonist Hugo vehemently insists that he's not a prostitute, but that attitude is common among dancers. Note that Oscar & Germán quite openly work as "chicos de compañía" to supplement their income, as does Jairo until he meets & falls for Andrea.

While Marbella's year-round population is fairly small (140K), a lot of residents have serious money, and the hordes of tourists bring in a whole lot more. The existence of a stripclub like Inferno was one of the easier-to-swallow elements of the series. I wish they had shown off the beauty of Marbella even more than they did. I did like the choreographed stripper numbers, well-executed cheesey goodness.

A second season looks unlikely for now since its ratings were pretty low, starting at 1.85 million but quickly dropping to ~1 million or less. An average rating of 2 million used to be the baseline for renewal, but Netflix & Amazon Prime have since changed the economics for television series. If there is a second season, I'm such an idiot that I'll probably watch, crossing my fingers that Germán has a much bigger role the next go-round.

Edited by BSR

@Cooper, @latbear4blk & @g56whiz, thank you all for your responses.

I took the plunge for a free month. I'm glad I did because Netflix offers so many other great shows I want to watch. Of course, I started off by binge-watching Toy Boy, which I am not glad I did. As expected, the acting & script were pretty lousy. Some of the supporting cast was OK, but the three leads - the framed stripper, his lawyer, and his sugarmama - were really weak, IMO. I stuck it out mostly to find out what happened. When all was revealed, oh please, who wrote that sh*t??

Unfortunately, it fell short of guilty pleasure because I liked only one of the strippers. Germán is so gorgeous that I would gladly watch 13 episodes of him reading from the phone book, as long as he's wearing a thong. How frustrating that he was such a peripheral character. The other 4 were fit young lads but just not my type at all. I did like the subplot with the gay stripper Jairo, however.

I don't know if the show had an anti-prostitution slant. In the first few episodes, the protagonist Hugo vehemently insists that he's not a prostitute, but that attitude is common among dancers. Note that Oscar & Germán quite openly work as "chicos de compañía" to supplement their income, as does Jairo until he meets & falls for Andrea.

While Marbella's year-round population is fairly small (140K), a lot of residents have serious money, and the hordes of tourists bring in a whole lot more. The existence of a stripclub like Inferno was one of the easier-to-swallow elements of the series. I wish they had shown off the beauty of Marbella even more than they did. I did like the choreographed stripper numbers, well-executed cheesey goodness.

A second season looks unlikely for now since its ratings were pretty low, starting at 1.85 million but quickly dropping to ~1 million or less. An average rating of 2 million used to be the baseline for renewal, but Netflix & Amazon Prime have since changed the economics for television series. If there is a second season, I'm such an idiot that I'll probably watch, crossing my fingers that Germán has a much bigger role the next go-round.

????

Despite the above criticism, there are redeeming parts, e.g. the empathy Jairo's dance mates show towards his love for Andrea. Gay love was one of the central themes.

I did end up confused how Jairo can remain committed to Andrea, after all Andrea has wrought, especially concerning Hugo. Perhaps we're to overlook everything, knowing Andrea was a victim.

As long as he keeps that teal hair color, I'd watch my back.?

I'll give S2 a watch.

Edited by E.T.Bass

@E.T.Bass, I, too, would watch a Season 2 if released.

They way Season 1 ended it leaves several unanswered questions that new episodes could build on.

I guess we’ll just have to wait & see.

Ivan, Hugo and Jairo need to stay the heck away from the Medinas! And the Irishman. And the loan sharks. ?

I also wonder if we will get to see Andrea's bod. Maybe Jairo will seduce him to make sweet love.?

@E.T.Bass, I, too, would watch a Season 2 if released.

The way Season 1 ended it leaves several unanswered questions that new episodes could build on.

I guess we’ll just have to wait & see.

While Toy Boy's ratings during its broadcast run on Spain's Antena 3 were pretty weak, the series is enjoying a second life on Netflix. It's the number 9 most popular series on Netflix in the US, number 3 in Spain, and in the top 10 in many other countries. As awful as it was, I confess that I'm crossing my fingers for a Season 2. I just wanna see my sexy Germán as much as possible, wearing as little as possible.

While Toy Boy's ratings during its broadcast run on Spain's Antena 3 were pretty weak, the series is enjoying a second life on Netflix. It's the number 9 most popular series on Netflix in the US, number 3 in Spain, and in the top 10 in many other countries. As awful as it was, I confess that I'm crossing my fingers for a Season 2. I just wanna see my sexy Germán as much as possible, wearing as little as possible.

I think it was # 8 in Malaysia of all places.

The guys are hot enough to tolerate the bad acting. However, the anti prostitution demeanor is hard to swallow.

Its the young lawyer's acting (and lines) that are the biggest flaw of the series (I had to fast forward through her screen time a couple of times).

Edited by RealAvalon