Warm weekend getaway

haring222
This topic is 1514 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey chaps! Even with the pandemic on the horizon (!), the winter grey in Chicago is making me nuts. I want to use some miles and get away for a weekend someplace warm. Any recommendations for a solo traveler? Does not have to be a beach, just someplace warm (and maybe one that has a non gross men only sauna to visit) that is easy to get to an airport. I generally do LA / palm springs and was just in Miami...maybe something historical like Savannah? Thanks for any ideas!

Starting now in March, the weather in Scottsdale, AZ starts to get more reliable with warmer temps & a near guarantee of dry & sunny days.....nice destination between now & maybe early May when the extreme summer temps can begin to take hold.....easy 3.5 hour nonstop flights from Chicago to Phoenix Sky Harbor.....(& baseball spring training is now underway....fun relaxation if it’s one of your “things”).....& also include a dinner at “Gertrudes” in the Phoenix / Desert Botanical Gardens.

Edited by wklukas

Perhaps PVR? CTG? MEX?

Leaving from Chicago for just a weekend getaway, CTG (Cartagena) would involve flight connections & simply might be more time-consuming in terms of travel time than the OP might really want.....lots of nonstops from chi-town into PVR and/or Ciudad de México though.

Leaving from Chicago for just a weekend getaway, CTG (Cartagena) would involve flight connections & simply might be more time-consuming in terms of travel time than the OP might really want.....lots of nonstops from chi-town into PVR and/or Ciudad de México though.

ORD-MIA (FLL)-CTG. I mean, if you get up early, you'll be in Colombia by early-mid afternoon. Lots of options for airlines.

Palm Springs may or may not be a good choice, because of the Indian Wells tennis tournament which starts next week and will run over two weekends and draws hundreds of thousands of attendees. On the other hand, many people who have already made reservations may cancel if the COVID-19 epidemic scares them off, so there may be empty rooms available at the last moment.

ORD-MIA (FLL)-CTG. I mean, if you get up early, you'll be in Colombia by early-mid afternoon. Lots of options for airlines.

Depending on which airlines, terminals & gates are in play, MIA can offer passengers a quick & easy connection or a much more difficult & time-consuming one.....quite often it’s far from being among the easier airports for changing from one plane to another.....

no comment on FLL.....I’ve only used that aeropuerto infrequently & always simply as a single flight in or a single flight out......never as any kind of connecting spot.