New Orleans

Steve yabsley
This topic is 917 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Heading to New Orleans soon. Always enjoy the food scene there - and looking to try some new places.

sadly, the nightlife there seems to have continued the trend of becoming “more wholesome “......but any suggestions appreciated. In the past, I have resorted to bringing some companionship with me....this time heading in solo. Fingers crossed I can find something interesting while I’m there

cheers-

steve

Heading to New Orleans soon. Always enjoy the food scene there - and looking to try some new places.

sadly, the nightlife there seems to have continued the trend of becoming “more wholesome “......but any suggestions appreciated. In the past, I have resorted to bringing some companionship with me....this time heading in solo. Fingers crossed I can find something interesting while I’m there

cheers-

steve

Have you been to Coquette? It‘s a wonderful restaurant in the Irish Channel neighborhood. Also Shaya for israeli food is quite good too. Can’t really make suggestions for providers as I had one of my regulars fly in with me. There used to be a wonderful sex club on Toulouse, but those are condominiums now...

I haven’t been to Coquette or Shaya. Thanks for the suggestions. I’m also looking at Restaurant Revolution. Have you been?

i remember the place on Toulouse....that’s been gone a few years now! Sounds like Rawhide and Eagle aren’t what they were either.....sigh.

thanks for the food suggestions. I’m confident in the food and drink indulgence options in NOLA anyway.

?

I haven’t been to Coquette or Shaya. Thanks for the suggestions. I’m also looking at Restaurant Revolution. Have you been?

i remember the place on Toulouse....that’s been gone a few years now! Sounds like Rawhide and Eagle aren’t what they were either.....sigh.

thanks for the food suggestions. I’m confident in the food and drink indulgence options in NOLA anyway.

?

My friends who have a second home in NOLA... love Restaurant Revolution! They always recommend it, but my stomach can only handle so much food. You are right, one can easily over indulge in NOLA. I believe LA has the highest BMI in the nation. Are you going during one of their music festivals? I was there last year for the French Quarter Music Fest... was quite fun.

• 2 weeks later...

@Benjamin_Nicholas

sorry I missed this while I was there. I did find a lot of fusion cuisine that was fun - Caribbean-Cajun, Asian-Cajun , etc.

if you get back, I really recommend Maypop

https://www.maypoprestaurant.com/menus/

outstanding food, and fun space.

and as always, the vibe is so fun in the big easy.

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, john1973 said:

beignet at Cafe Du Monde.

It’s the only thing I miss about New Orleans….
Early Sunday morning chicory coffee and beignets at Cafe du Monde while all my buddies are still sleeping.

Thankfully, you can recreate close approximations at home: https://shop.cafedumonde.com

Otherwise, it’s just a dangerous dirty city in a swamp. 

Edited by nycman

One thing that I would recommend is the World War II museum. I spent a whole day there and was not bored. As a Canadian, I find American history very fascinating and more interesting. Apparently, the museum was built in New Orleans as it is also the home of the "Higgins Boat". According to the website:

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/students-teachers/student-resources/research-starters/research-starters-higgins-boats

HIGGINS BOATS

In the late 1930s, the U.S. military began developing small boats that could carry troops from ships to open beaches. Andrew Jackson Higgins of New Orleans, who had been manufacturing shallow-water work boats to support oil and gas exploration in the Louisiana bayous, adapted his Eureka Boat to meet the military’s specifications for a landing craft. Designated the Landing Craft Personnel (Large), or LCP(L), it was used in the invasions of Guadalcanal and North Africa in 1942.

Initially, separate landing craft were used for troops and vehicles, the LCP(L)s and the LCVs (Landing Craft, Vehicle). The LCP(L) was designed without a ramp. Troops unloaded from the LCP(L) by jumping over the side, which proved unsatisfactory because climbing over the side exposed the men to hostile fire. Higgins solved this shortcoming by combining the LCP(L) and LCV’s designs into the Landing Craft Vehicle and Personnel or LCVP. This craft, which is now the most famous of Higgins’s designs and is often referred to as the Higgins Boat, allowed infantry or small vehicles to exit through a front ramp.

Higgins Boats changed the way that war was fought. Previously, navies would have to attack ports, which were usually heavily defended. By using Higgins Boats, armies could unload across an open beach and have more options in choosing their attack points. This also stretched the defending armies. Instead of concentrating on only a few entry points, defenders had to cover more shoreline. In both the Pacific and European Theaters of World War II, Higgins Boats allowed Allied armies to move ashore.

The success of these boats ensured that Higgins Industries would be a major employer during the War. A small workforce of only 75 workers in 1938 grew to over 20,000 by 1943. The Higgins workforce was the first in New Orleans to be racially integrated. His employees included undrafted white males, women, African Americans, the elderly and handicapped persons. All were paid equal wages according to their job rating. They responded by shattering production records, turning out more than 20,000 boats by the end of the war.

New Orleans is just about to debut a new Four Seasons property, so I think that warrants a return visit this fall for me.

It's a great city as long as you get the hell out of the Quarter.  Uptown, Magazine St, Treme, Mid-City, Bywater.  You'll do yourself a huge favor getting to see how people there truly live versus the drunk tourist hell that is Bourbon St.

Seafood Sally's, Secret Birria on Octavia, Brigtsten's, LUVI and Gautreau's are all kicking the shit out of the culinary scene at the moment.

For the classic experience, go to Brennan's.  It's been totally redone, redesigned and the menu is killer.  The dining room is beautiful and the new culinary team took some chances.  It's a classic, reborn.

2 hours ago, Benjamin_Nicholas said:

New Orleans is just about to debut a new Four Seasons property, so I think that warrants a return visit this fall for me.

Wise and accurate post I think.  It's hard to beat the Windsor Court for a glorious New Orleans hotel.  Royal Orleans also nice.  Brennans is one of the four great "Mt. Rushmore" restaurants, along with Galatoires, Antoine's, and Arnaud's. Happy to go to NOLA just to eat. Even the hole in the wall places are awesome. Can't remember ever having a bad meal there, though one time we sat at our table at Antoine's for 45 minutes without being helped by a waiter, so we left.  Off night I guess.  I still went back the next time and it was fine.  I love all the little rooms and private dining areas they offer, away from their main dining room.  Sadly I think Antoine's is currently closed for the summer.  Think I heard right.  

• 2 months later...