I am Headed to Tokyo!

VictorPowers
This topic is 1407 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was working in Asia during SARS, the level of hysteria was less even though the risk of mortality was greater. Hopefully, the drop in demand will allow you to book a hotel at an advantageous, cancellable rate. I'd follow the situation on BBC and NHK (the Japanese equivalent of BBC) and ignore the US news media---they don't have good science/health reporting and infotainment/ill-founded hysteria is their brand. NHK in English is on many cable networks and has an online feed.

Kamakura is a great day trip from Tokyo and very easy---frequent trains in the am. Get off at Kita-Kamakura and do the walk through gardens and temples to Kamakura town and the Great Buddha. Return via Kamakura station. The gardens are incredible--they don't look like much from the road but inside are very complex and serene. The walk from Kita Kamakura is about 1 1/2 -2 miles. The Lonelyplanet guide for Tokyo should have the specifics.

Tokyo has lots of quirky museums, as well as an excellent cluster of art and history museums in the Ueno---which has a major rail station. The National Museum is the real gem. Unfortunately, it and some other museums are closed until at least mid-March https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/things-to-do/attractions-in-tokyo-and-japan-that-are-closed-due-to-covid-19-coronavirus

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess it comes down to experience in your destinations.

As I write this we should be in Bali, due to travel yesterday May 1 and returning May 31.

As we were heading to our own apartment, (condo in a resort) we were happy to go, as once there we rarely leave our local area, we walk out to dinner every night somewhere different, we have a Rota of about 20 warungs and restaurants we go to.

Indonesia cancelled Visas then Australia closed the border unless essential travel, so we are stuck at home working.

Hopefully in November we can return .

we know the standards of hygiene as we have been going for 20 years.

but everyone has to make their own decisions

• 3 weeks later...

We're all worried about Asia? Numbers wise, the worst place to be right now is in a major city in the good ole USA!

Considering the context that the thread was begun in mid-Feb, it was wholly appropriate to be concerned about travel to Asia. Fast forward to now. The whole world is now aware that US leads the world in COVID-19 deaths.