Sartorial question regarding jacket sleeves

cany10011
This topic is 1545 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Gentle readers, what say you to buttonless jacket sleeves? Do you prefer 3 or 2 buttons? straight, kissing, or waterfall? I’m in such a dilemma. I have a new jacket with basted sleeves... and don’t know if I should have it finished with buttons or just sewn up? The tailor at Neiman Marcus seems to suggest I should, and II know it is a custom feature to have unbuttoning cuffs but i really don’t see myself rolling up my sleeves at any time. Are buttoning sleeves antiquated? Should i just have them sewn up?

You had me at “Sartorial”......

Gentle readers, what say you to buttonless jacket sleeves?

Nothing.

If you were wearing a buttonless jacket sleeve to a party, I would avoid you at all cost.

Do you prefer 3 or 2 buttons?

3 minimum. I personally prefer 4 but that’s a style choice. 2 looks childish.

straight, kissing, or waterfall?

There‘s a gay man’s fantasy joke in there somewhere.....

But to answer the question: straight.

The other two look like a trainwreck on your sleeve.

Either that or your tailor has a serious problem judging distances.

I have a new jacket with basted sleeves

To save all the Philistines the trouble....basting is that strange white temporary thread

you see on an expensive suit. It gets removed by your tailor when he finishes the suit.

My personal preference is 4 buttons, straight. I always leave the 4th unbuttoned so you

can tell they’re real button holes. Cheap jackets just have decorative buttons and no holes.

They should be burned.

If you want to be edgy, have the 4th button hole stitched in a contrasting color. That’s enough.

And for the slower students that need visual aides:

http://www.fashionising.com/clothing/b--guide-to-suit-buttons-52817.html

Edited by nycman

Nothing.

If you were wearing a buttonless jacket sleeve to a party, I would avoid you at all cost.

To save all the Philistines the trouble....basting is that strange white temporary thread

you see on an expensive suit. It gets removed by your tailor when he finishes the suit.

My personal preference is 4 buttons, straight. I always leave the 4th unbuttoned so you

can tell they’re real button holes. Cheap jackets just have decorative buttons and no holes.

They should be burned.

If you want to be edgy, have the 4th button hole stitched in a contrasting color. That’s enough.

Nothing.

They should be burned.

Thanks! I’ll go with the 4 straight, with the 4th in contrasting color :) Appreciate the advice. I deliberately go to Neiman;s fo the cute shop boys :)

Gentle readers, what say you to buttonless jacket sleeves? Do you prefer 3 or 2 buttons? straight, kissing, or waterfall? I’m in such a dilemma. I have a new jacket with basted sleeves... and don’t know if I should have it finished with buttons or just sewn up? The tailor at Neiman Marcus seems to suggest I should, and II know it is a custom feature to have unbuttoning cuffs but i really don’t see myself rolling up my sleeves at any time. Are buttoning sleeves antiquated? Should i just have them sewn up?

Non-kissing. I'm so happy someone else uses the word 'sartorial' as well. :)

I had a client that would walk in my office with the most trendy of designers from head to toe. One day he walked in and asked me my opinion on his new shoes. Velvet slipper things with big safety pin buckles. I used my hand to motion down my body from my Kohls polo shirt to my Nike tennis shoes and said, "Do you really think I am the best person to ask?" LOL That being said had he asked my opinion on his cute ass I would have gladly commented.