C L A S S (For description, you must see within...)

tristanbaldwin
This topic is 1525 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Alright, so I sorta click-baited y’all here, but I had to say my peace. Currently in Vietnam, having traveled through Hong Kong on the way in(briefly, 2 hr connection), and in somewhat jeopardy of being stuck here / travel difficulties in the event the US gov’t starts restricting travel home. Several clients have reached out to me in concern, but it really resonates with me that @Dane Scott from SOCAL took the time to text, call, do everything but send smoke signals to see if I had a plan and if he could help out. Let me tell you, my own fucking biological brother hasn’t inquired in the slightest where I am, so it speaks volumes to the character of this man for him to extend himself like this.

Then again, anyone who’s been on this board for the past decade already knew what CLASS he had. Love ya brother(Ace, love you too, but he’s taking your place...)...

JB/“TB”

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, so I sorta click-baited y’all here, but I had to say my peace. Currently in Vietnam, having traveled through Hong Kong on the way in(briefly, 2 hr connection), and in somewhat jeopardy of being stuck here / travel difficulties in the event the US gov’t starts restricting travel home. Several clients have reached out to me in concern, but it really resonates with me that @Dane Scott from SOCAL took the time to text, call, do everything but send smoke signals to see if I had a plan and if he could help out. Let me tell you, my own fucking biological brother hasn’t inquired in the slightest where I am, so it speaks volumes to the character of this man for him to extend himself like this.

Then again, anyone who’s been on this board for the past decade already knew what CLASS he had. Love ya brother(Ace, love you too, but he’s taking your place...)...

JB/“TB”

Tristan, is there anything anyone can do to help? If there are restrictions on flights to the U.S. is there an alternative like flying to Montreal or Toronto and entering the U.S. via car/train from there? I'm assuming this is because of the Corona virus which prompts me to ask if you're taking all possible precautions to protect your health? Be well. If positive thoughts are of use, I'm sure you've got tons of them directly heading your way.

Yeah I was going to mention if flying into Canada is an option.

If it's in relation to Corona virus I may have to take my previous comment back since there's been 1 confirmed case in Toronto and I believe a few more across Canada.

Glad I saw this and you are safe and sound.

I hope you are at least enjoying your stay in Viet Nam.

Didn't realize there are restrictions from Viet Nam also.

If you need, I'll send you a doctor's note saying you are immune to Corona virus and that you are sorely needed back here.

Besides, in anticipation of your triumphant return, I'm putting in my reservation to see you!

?

And, yes, you are correct - the Great Dane IS an amazing person!

I saw you wearing the face mask on your twitter. Thought about that. Perhaps a trip around the world. Come back home via Europe (if flights aren't restricted, but as I type this, thinking it might also happen). Will cost $$$$$ or points/miles, but gets you home. I'll tip an extra C note.

From here in Kuala Lumpur most of the travel restrictions I see are specifically from the Chinese province of Hubei where Wuhan is the capital. The US is one of several countries that have evacuated citizen from the area. There are no other flights in and out of Wuhan and some some US carriers are reportedly considering halting all service to China. This virus is reported to be spreading more quickly than SARS a few years ago but after the SARS experience prevention protocols have strengthened. To date there have been no deaths out side of China.

FWIW I got a spare bedroom here in KL @tristanbaldwin and the gym on the 25th floor is at least serviceable.

@former lurker - Not much anyone can do, and thankfully I’m not at much risk because I’m not working. If I was trolling around Hong Kong like i LOVEEEEEE to do, might be a different story. However, I gotta admit I was nervous as all fuck on the flights in from Hong Kong, then inter-Vietnam. Lots of Chinese tourists, all hacking wheezing coughing eating Durians ON AN AIRPLANE, spitting in bottles on an airplane(are you chewing tobacco or trying to lose weight like a high school wrestler, what’s going on here?!), literally a one hour 40 minute period between Hanoi and Phu Quoc where I felt like I was on the edge of my seat. Couldn’t wait to get off the plane. However, interesting to note...some of these were very, VERY rich Chinese too...and they didn;’t even seem to care about their own kind coughing, and many weren‘t wearing masks...so I don’t know the severity to which to take things. I think @quoththeraven posted statistics yesterday that said it’s fatal in 2.9 or 2.7 percent of cases...that’s actually kind of a scary number, when you look at it across the board. The idea of the airports in Asia kinda getting shut down or restricted...(I predict Japan will preventatively be next, to stay ahead of it), makes me think I’ll take @bashful ’s advice and head west through Europe out of Singapore or through Qatar. Luckily, the return trip home is a mileage ticket...so it’s fairly flexible.

Truly appreciate everyone’s concern. Thank god this wasn’t a work trip I was counting on- I wonder if the direct body to body fluid to fluid contact fears are killing the sex industry in Asia right now?

This is a bit of a concern, although I suspect going home via Hong Kong on CX will be fine. I checked on Qantas' FF page and they had rewards seats from Singapore to NYC on CX, JA and QR in all classes (and China Eastern through Shanghai, but I'm guessing that wouldn't be anyone's first choice in the current circumstances). No other west-bound options though. (They also had seats to BDL through LHR/ORD on combinations of QF/BA/AA, but only in economy, and some first on QF sectors.) I'm guessing AA would have similar options, perhaps more on other One World partners.

@former lurker - Not much anyone can do, and thankfully I’m not at much risk because I’m not working. If I was trolling around Hong Kong like i LOVEEEEEE to do, might be a different story. However, I gotta admit I was nervous as all fuck on the flights in from Hong Kong, then inter-Vietnam. Lots of Chinese tourists, all hacking wheezing coughing eating Durians ON AN AIRPLANE, spitting in bottles on an airplane(are you chewing tobacco or trying to lose weight like a high school wrestler, what’s going on here?!), literally a one hour 40 minute period between Hanoi and Phu Quoc where I felt like I was on the edge of my seat. Couldn’t wait to get off the plane. However, interesting to note...some of these were very, VERY rich Chinese too...and they didn;’t even seem to care about their own kind coughing, and many weren‘t wearing masks...so I don’t know the severity to which to take things. I think @quoththeraven posted statistics yesterday that said it’s fatal in 2.9 or 2.7 percent of cases...that’s actually kind of a scary number, when you look at it across the board. The idea of the airports in Asia kinda getting shut down or restricted...(I predict Japan will preventatively be next, to stay ahead of it), makes me think I’ll take @bashful ’s advice and head west through Europe out of Singapore or through Qatar. Luckily, the return trip home is a mileage ticket...so it’s fairly flexible.

Truly appreciate everyone’s concern. Thank god this wasn’t a work trip I was counting on- I wonder if the direct body to body fluid to fluid contact fears are killing the sex industry in Asia right now?

Durians on an airplane? I’d demand not a mask but a gas mask and absent that a knife to do in the offender.

On the flight to Narita last week I happened to catch a CNN segment with Dr Sanjay Gupta. He pointed out that wearing the mask is not to prevent you from breathing in the virus: it’s to prevent the virus that’s on you hands from entering your nasal cavity or mouth. So in addition to wearing a mask WASH YOUR HANDS thoroughly and often.

Tristan, I'm sure I speak for all on the Board in saying we're grateful that you have kept us apprised about how you are doing. Airplanes are flying incubators of infections. It's a scary scenario to be cooped up for hours surrounded by people sneezing, coughing, wheezing and hacking, while their germs are pumped through the plane's closed air system. I'm sure you're aware of and are taking whatever precautions you can. You also have in your favor that you are the opposite of the demographics usually felled by these diseases. Your not elderly, you're not a toddler, you are in superlative physical condition, and you are aware of warning signs and precarious situations. You're also someone who obviously takes your health and the health of those you are in contact with seriously. All of that is reassuring.

I know you're not seeking advice, but I'll offer some anyway. Take the safest and transport options, and if that requires delaying your return, it'll be worth it in the end. A healthy TB is a more productive and profitable TB.

(As an aside, it just struck me that you share the initials of the much beloved GOAT. As a New Englander, I hope you're a Pats fan, although I know folks from Connecticut sometimes root for the Giants or Jets.)

By the way, a doctor in DC that I know/just had a conversation with from half a world away...said that the majority of these masks might be slowing the spread of this Virus, but not truly doing anything. He described a specific type of isolation mask that would actually work, but said that the majority of other masks were doing jack shit. Terrific. =(

By the way, a doctor in DC that I know/just had a conversation with from half a world away...said that the majority of these masks might be slowing the spread of this Virus, but not truly doing anything. He described a specific type of isolation mask that would actually work, but said that the majority of other masks were doing jack shit. Terrific. =(

I'm sure it's difficult to say how much a regular mask could protect you as they often aren't worn correctly. Correctly worn masks aren't comfortable as they should be placed very tightly against the skin. So most masks aren't worn that way. They might do some good if they keep you from touching near your nose and mouth, but they have a tendency to cause itching and to make you sweat. So you might inadvertently touch your nose or mouth to scratch the area.

The mask your friend was referring to is probably what is called an n95 particulate respirator mask. It filters out droplets well. It's the type of mask that should be used around infectious tuberculosis patients. To be really effective these need to be individually fitted to make sure you are wearing the correct size.

Gman

This morning there’s a big sign on the front door of the Watson’s pharmacy downstairs in our building in Kuala Lumpur: “Masks sold out”.