RIP Kobe Bryant

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 1547 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Every couple of months there's news of a helicopter crash but then it just disappears out of the public consciousness without a broader debate about helicopter safety. Helicopters crashes are ridiculously common and no one without a deathwish should be setting foot on one.

I’m not sure your comment needed to be in this thread but alas, air travel in itself is far safer than automobile travel. You’re painting broad strokes with no data to support an exaggerated statement.

Edited by instudiocity

I’m not sure your comment needed to be in this thread but alas, air travel in itself is far safer than automobile travel. You’re r painting broad strokes with not data to support an exaggerated statement.

I don't know how helicopter rides compare to cars but the comparison between them and commercial airliners is, shall we say, unfavorable to helicopters.

We all grieve in different ways. For some of us that may involve wondering about the safety of helicopters. This is surely not the first time you've heard it questioned.

It's a real shame about his daughter.

But after that, meh.

From 2018: Why The Fuck Isn't Kobe Bryant A Pariah Yet?

On the night of July 1, 2003, Bryant choked a 19-year-old employee of the Eagle, Colorado hotel where he was staying (hard enough to leave bruises on her neck), bent her over a chair, and drew blood during the ensuing sex act. By the end of the night, she’d told a coworker that Bryant had forced himself on her; by the end of the next day he’d been contacted by local police. During the resulting criminal investigation, Bryant did not deny the encounter; he didn’t deny choking her; he even admitted he’d never asked for her consent, claiming to have inferred it from her body language. When it was all over—that is, after Bryant’s lawyers intimidated the woman out of the courtroom by reframing the forensic evidence to suggest that she was a lying slut...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2020/01/27/kobe-bryant-dont-shy-away-nba-legends-legacy/4584605002/

A more objective and respectful way to frame the 2003 incident

But after that, meh.

On the night of July 1, 2003, Bryant choked a 19-year-old employee of the Eagle, Colorado hotel where he was staying (hard enough to leave bruises on her neck), bent her over a chair, and drew blood during the ensuing sex act. By the end of the night, she’d told a coworker that Bryant had forced himself on her; by the end of the next day he’d been contacted by local police. During the resulting criminal investigation, Bryant did not deny the encounter; he didn’t deny choking her; he even admitted he’d never asked for her consent, claiming to have inferred it from her body language. When it was all over—that is, after Bryant’s lawyers intimidated the woman out of the courtroom by reframing the forensic evidence to suggest that she was a lying slut...

Wow! That's quite an article, oldNbusted. Thanks for reminding us.

Every couple of months there's news of a helicopter crash but then it just disappears out of the public consciousness without a broader debate about helicopter safety. Helicopters crashes are ridiculously common and no one without a deathwish should be setting foot on one.

They definitely are not uncommon. Personally, I have no wish to be in a small plane. Would love to do a helicopter tour of some kind but have not been in one yet. I don't think small aircraft are particularly more dangerous, but I think there is smaller from for error in operating one, on top of different regulations. The fact that air traffic control granted special clearance to fly, when LAPD grounded their own choppers due to weather surprises me. Also, the lack of a black box and a terrain warning system because of regulations just baffles me.

I am very much over the idea that we must be "respectful" toward the recently deceased. Whether Bryant redeemed himself by his subsequent conduct is up to each individual to decide, but I still remember the hell he and his lawyers put her through only in the end, after settling a civil case (which if she was the lying slut his side portrayed her as before she withdrew her cooperation with the prosecution he would have pursued to trial), to admit that what he perceived as consensual she did not - something I was unaware of until his death.

I am very much over the idea that we must be "respectful" toward the recently deceased. Whether Bryant redeemed himself by his subsequent conduct is up to each individual to decide, but I still remember the hell he and his lawyers put her through only in the end, after settling a civil case (which if she was the lying slut his side portrayed her as before she withdrew her cooperation with the prosecution he would have pursued to trial), to admit that what he perceived as consensual she did not - something I was unaware of until his death.

I definitely agree there shouldn't be an over effort to fit a Halo on someone after their death.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/01/27/posts-misguided-suspension-felicia-sonmez-over-kobe-bryant-tweets/

I'll post this link, because I do feel she was wrongly suspended. However, I do feel she needed some type of warning. Because, if you take a look at the time stamp of her Twitter post in the screenshot, she posted the link with no other context or comment, mere hours after the accident. Before it was confirmed that his daughter and three other families were lost. In my opinion that's just insensitive to the overall tragedy and irresponsible as a journalist before the story develops more.

You are right whether he redeemed himself being up to each individual, but I think the facts should be laid out in a way to allow that, and now be skewed one way or another. That's why I the USA today article I think is thought provoking, especially because it was written by a female sports writer.

Personally, the redemption factor with Kobe I struggle with. Basketball helped shape my life and provided a sanctuary when home life was dark sometimes growing up. Being inspired by Kobe was a big part of that. But being a sex worker over the past several years, consent and comfortability within sexual encounters means everything to me.

And it did always rub me wrong that since he has been retired the events of 2003 have seemingly been swept under the rug when talking about his legacy.

But after that, meh.

You are most certainly a clASS Act..... ?

Part of Kobe Bryant's impact in lives of basketball fans is that he was a polarizing person, even before the rape accusations of 2003. Also, he would do some corny stuff as well, but that was part of the fun when it came to Kobe in the news. He was a fixture in the lives of millions, whether they loved him, or loved to loath him at times.

If you're into podcasts, check out Bomani Jones from ESPN. He had a podcast episode about Kobe, where he does a great job contextualizing the impact of Kobe and his life and why its so impactful for basketball players and fans.

RIP to Kobe & Gianna, and the others who died. All the best to the families who are trying to figure out how to live after these losses. Also thinking about victims of SA who have to navigate their mixed feelings while people are reacting online and in person to this.

Kobe Bryant is beloved as a basketball player and as a heroic figure. The downside is he was not always a hero.

I agree with that.

no person is perfect.

I just find it to be shameful and disrespectful to carelessly slander a man’s name, immediately after he and his daughter dies and they haven’t even been fully put to rest yet.

Let the casket close.. let the soil he’s buried in at least dry.... just let the man Rest In Peace.

Edited by Monarchy79