Australia Day

sydneyboy
This topic is 1281 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 7 months later...

How many Americans know anything about Australia apart from throw a shrimp on the barbie (we don’t have shrimps we have prawns) and that kangaroos hope along our suburban streets ?

I do know something about Australia, but mostly because I'm a big tennis fan. Whenever they say where a player is from, I look it up on Google Maps. So on a blank map of Australia, I'm pretty sure I can pinpoint most of the cities. I even know where Mt. Issa is! (thank you, Patrick Rafter) Plus I hear things about the country (this year's wildfires, for example) watching the AO every year.

I also hear about it a lot because an aunt & uncle who live in Manila travel there often - 4 trips already, with another planned as soon as Covid19 passes. They simply love it and more than anything love Aussie people.

But yeah, without tennis & my aunt, I don't know if I'd know much about Australia.

How many Americans know anything about Australia apart from throw a shrimp on the barbie (we don’t have shrimps we have prawns) and that kangaroos hope along our suburban streets ?

I love Australia. Been there three times, always in the United States Winter and the Australia Summer. Saw the original Australia version of the musical "The Boy from Oz."

That’s kinda sad.

When I went to school we learnt about the world including America.

While I appreciate teaching your history and American geography there is a lot more to the world than just America.

I agree. After my aunt & uncle's first trip to Australia, of course they shared all their stories and photos with their (adult) children. At that point, they were dismayed to find out that their children (and now their 3 grandkids) knew almost nothing about Australia.

On my aunt & uncle's next Australia trip, my uncle wants to go to Rottnest Island and hang out with the quokkas. He saw a bunch of tennis players taking pictures with quokkas and thought they were the cutest little creatures he had ever seen, like chubby miniature kangaroos. They're lucky in that as a United Airlines retiree, they get cheap flights & hotel discounts everywhere. I doubt they would travel all the way to Perth otherwise, no matter how adorable quokkas are.

2409B36500000578-2873135-image-a-33_1418536428606.jpg

I agree. After my aunt & uncle's first trip to Australia, of course they shared all their stories and photos with their (adult) children. At that point, they were dismayed to find out that their children (and now their 3 grandkids) knew almost nothing about Australia.

I was lucky, a friend was sailing off the North coast of New Zealand. After visiting him I flew to Christchurch to see the South Island and then to Sydney.

Gaack! With their frightening seismic activity, Christchurch is one of the last places on earth I'd ever want to live (the climate ain't to pleasant, either). I don't understand people who like living in places with extreme geological risks, including living next to active volcanoes.

Don't you live in Los Angeles?

My house is on solid granite and considered low risk. I'm getting a geological survey on the house I have in escrow on Saturday. Christchurch seems to have an unusual number of severe earthquakes, which seem to be especially devastating, more than any other city I've ever visited, which is quite a few. I'm not sure that the level of devastation from the earthquakes is due to the soil under the city or due to lax building codes, but there have been strong earthquakes in LA and the SF, and the devastation to the city was not nearly as extreme as Christchurch's. My nearest fault is the Hayward Fault, and it's miles from my house.

My house is on solid granite and considered low risk. I'm getting a geological survey on the house I have in escrow on Saturday. Christchurch seems to have an unusual number of severe earthquakes, which seem to be especially devastating, more than any other city I've ever visited, which is quite a few. I'm not sure that the level of devastation from the earthquakes is due to the soil under the city or due to lax building codes, but there have been strong earthquakes in LA and the SF, and the devastation to the city was not nearly as extreme as Christchurch's. My nearest fault is the Hayward Fault, and it's miles from my house.

As you know, New Zealand's South Island Is a truly wonderful place to live. Christchurch is near world class national parks.

On my aunt & uncle's next Australia trip, my uncle wants to go to Rottnest Island and hang out with the quokkas. He saw a bunch of tennis players taking pictures with quokkas and thought they were the cutest little creatures he had ever seen, like chubby miniature kangaroos. They're lucky in that as a United Airlines retiree, they get cheap flights & hotel discounts everywhere. I doubt they would travel all the way to Perth otherwise, no matter how adorable quokkas are.

Here is a bit of data regarding the cute animals:

https://facts.net/nature/animals/quokka-facts?obOrigUrl=true

From the above line:

You Can Go to Jail for Touching a Quokka

Although many people find quokkas cute and adorable, it is absolutely illegal to make pets out of them. They’re not even allowed to be touched. Visitors are permitted to get near the creatures in special reserves, especially on Rottnest Island, where picture-taking is permitted. You can, however, get in trouble for touching one. Violators can be fined up to Aus$2,000 and face prosecution. No one is sure whether this law exists to protect the quokkas or the people.

-