man jumps to his death on Atlantis gay cruise

mnlvr70
This topic is 1545 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-jumps-his-death-royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-docked-puerto-n1121276

Apparently, a 46 yo man jumped to his death on the Atlantis gay cruise on Wednesday night while the ship was docked in Puerto Rico.

I had taken this week off for vacation and almost went on the cruise but changed my mind at the last minute. I'm not into parties and was worried about feeling isolated and lonely among so many beautiful people. Obviously, I don't know what was going on in his mind when he killed himself, but this horrifying news doesn't reassure me and makes me feel sad.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-jumps-his-death-royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-docked-puerto-n1121276

Apparently, a 46 yo man jumped to his death on the Atlantis gay cruise on Wednesday night while the ship was docked in Puerto Rico.

I had taken this week off for vacation and almost went on the cruise but changed my mind at the last minute. I'm not into parties and was worried about feeling isolated and lonely among so many beautiful people. Obviously, I don't know what was going on in his mind when he killed himself, but this horrifying news doesn't reassure me and makes me feel sad.

I think this is more an unfortunate story of despair and hopelessness..... the GAY aspect is irrelevant, so dont let it dissuade you if you really want to cruise.

I'd wait for toxicology on this one. It's an Atlantis cruise after all.

Are you trying to say that spoiled food introduced a rare, mind-altering bacteria into his system and the side-effect caused him to jump?

OK, done making light of the guy's demise. It is tragic that someone decided to end his life. I'm sure more will be revealed as the story unfolds. On the other hand, if one has a terminal illness or is experiencing unbearable physical pain and wants to end it on their own terms, what better place than on a party boat? Go out while enjoying oneself.

Are you trying to say that spoiled food introduced a rare, mind-altering bacteria into his system and the side-effect caused him to jump?

OK, done making light of the guy's demise. It is tragic that someone decided to end his life. I'm sure more will be revealed as the story unfolds. On the other hand, if one has a terminal illness or is experiencing unbearable physical pain and wants to end it on their own terms, what better place than on a party boat? Go out while enjoying oneself.

Many of those cruises have more available drugs and hallucinogens on them than a 1990s rave.

A toxicology report could uncover a mix of drugs in the guy’s system that could have definitely altered his normal function of thinking and perception of reality.

It was confirmed on the ship that he was a contract worker for Atlantis. Just because there are some guys doing drugs on the ship does not mean this guy was or let alone the staff.

Just the fact that some of y’all even suggested that is fucking low and judgmental as all hell. Certainly hope your family members don’t say the same things when y’all put a bullet in your brain.

Have a pleasant Friday and go get mental help.

You're taking the character a bit too far: A good actor knows how to toe the line ;)

It was a fair question... Basically, a wait-and-see. No one here said directly that this guy was on drugs.

I read about that. Very sad news. I used to work as a mortician many years ago and going to the homes of the person who had committed suicide was always so sad for everyone involved and the survivors. People feel like they are escaping the pain but they are just passing it on to their friends and family. The National Suicide Hotline is open 24s a day 1-800-273-8255.

Is it acting if I genuinely hope some of the forum members shoot themselves in the head for the stupid things they put on here? Like seriously....

I’m reminded why I leave this forum time and time again. A lot of y’all are heartless lizard people because actual humans aren’t this horrendous..

:rolleyes:

~Boomer~

sorry for the detour, but death on a cruise made me think of a story my grandmother told us many years ago......a very wealthy friend of my grandmother's was on a cruise with her husband, who died at sea.......whatever the standard protocol was for handling the death was not acceptable to the widow and she ended up paying to have the entire ship, passengers and all, turned around to return to port......the details of all this were lost over the years, of course, but the story was told this way

I think this is more an unfortunate story of despair and hopelessness..... the GAY aspect is irrelevant, so dont let it dissuade you if you really want to cruise.

Agree. My good friend went on an Atlantis party cruise alone and met up with his mousy boyfriend (who was also traveling solo). so there is always something for everyone.

https://www.advocate.com/news/2020/1/23/florida-man-dies-after-jumping-overboard-during-gay-themed-cruise

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7921237/Cruise-passenger-dies-making-clean-jump-10-story-deck-Royal-Carribean-ship.html

This is sad. Unfortunately, we don't know why this 46 year old LGBTQ event planner jumped, but it was a "clean jump," so it was intentional. Could drugs have been involved? Yes. Could he have been depressed? Yes. There are many variables. We don't know and may never know. This isn't the first death or suicide on an Atlantis cruise. The sheer number of people involved make it statistically likely even before adding all the associated factors that increase the probability.

disappointingly, but predictably, the media further sensationalized the human tragedy with the unnecessary specification that it was a gay cruise.

I wouldn’t blame the media this time...it was advertised as such from the promoters from the get go”

The cruise was a chartered journey by Atlantis Events, a California-based travel company that specializes in excursions for the gay community. Atlantis billed this journey aboard the Oasis of the Seas as "The World's Largest Gay Cruise."

disappointingly, but predictably, the media further sensationalized the human tragedy with the unnecessary specification that it was a gay cruise.

I wouldn’t blame the media this time...it was advertised as such from the promoters from the get go”

The cruise was a chartered journey by Atlantis Events, a California-based travel company that specializes in excursions for the gay community. Atlantis billed this journey aboard the Oasis of the Seas as "The World's Largest Gay Cruise."

Your point is taken, but I feel they could have stopped with "an Atlantis cruise."

Perhaps, but Atlantis does have a spotted history with death and drugs- not always combined- on their ships.

In billing themselves as 'the largest,' they run the double-edged risk of being in the spotlight.

Perhaps, but Atlantis does have a spotted history with death and drugs- not always combined- on their ships.

In billing themselves as 'the largest,' they run the double-edged risk of being in the spotlight.

True, but I was considering the deceased being put into the spotlight. There is the possibility that there were/are people with whom he did not share his personal life. But, I suppose that is a risk that is not uncommon.