Winter runner

Stormy
This topic is 1551 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

as an infant, my parents would put me out in the freezing air for long whiles, as recommended by their/my pediatrician......

When we were kids, our Mom used to say go out and play.... summer, fall, winter, and spring. The only thing that kept us indoors more in winter was less daylight, and the occasional sub zero days.

The way cryotherapy is all the rage these days and the whole Wim Hof phenomenon, it doesn't surprise me somebody's doing it. Or it could be a fraternity initiation thing...

Yeah, pro tennis players swear by it. You'll see tons of cryotherapy pictures posted on their Instagrams. Apparently in the short term cryotherapy helps with recovery after a tough match. In the long term, the big benefit is overall reduction of your body's inflammation.

As for @Stormy's jogger, the only detail I don't get is the barefoot part. I can understand a cryo aficionado running in just a pair of shorts, but why barefoot? Isn't he afraid of bits of glass??

There's an old movie, I don't remember the name, but it involved an Olympic runner that had been recruited from Africa, and taken advantage of by his coaches. At the end of the movie, he took off his shoes in the middle of a race and ran barefoot, won the race, then went up to his coach, dropped the shoes in front of him, and said "This is the only thing you have ever given me".

I may have some of those details wrong. This is a memory from probably 50+ years ago.

Yeah, pro tennis players swear by it. You'll see tons of cryotherapy pictures posted on their Instagrams. Apparently in the short term cryotherapy helps with recovery after a tough match. In the long term, the big benefit is overall reduction of your body's inflammation.

As for @Stormy's jogger, the only detail I don't get is the barefoot part. I can understand a cryo aficionado running in just a pair of shorts, but why barefoot? Isn't he afraid of bits of glass??

Running barefoot or in specialized minimal footwear is also a “thing”. My marathon running brother ran barefoot a couple years....I think he’s off it now.

When I lived in OC, I ran frequently on the North San Clemente beach trail. There were several high school runners who ran barefoot all the time. They told me their callouses prevented any cuts and that they never had any injuries, but were disappointed that they weren’t allowed to run barefoot in races. Against CIF rules at the time, I guess.

In my neighborhood, there's an asian jogger who is INCREDIBLY ripped, narrow waist, broad shoulders. He always jogs shirtless, in spandex shorts. And I only see him in the dead of winter. I live across from a park. Apparently he runs down here, circles the park a few times, and then runs back to wherever he came from. Haven't seen him so far this year, but we also haven't had frigid weather yet.

I know cryo is a thing, and I respect practitioners. But I keep wanting to run out with a blanket to throw over his incredible shoulders.

There's also a barefoot training craze because it's thought we lose some of the connection to our feet by wearing shoes, which makes some intuitive sense because imagine if we wore oven mitts all our waking hours, our hand dexterity would be crappy.

In my neighborhood, there's an asian jogger who is INCREDIBLY ripped, narrow waist, broad shoulders. He always jogs shirtless, in spandex shorts. And I only see him in the dead of winter. I live across from a park. Apparently he runs down here, circles the park a few times, and then runs back to wherever he came from. Haven't seen him so far this year, but we also haven't had frigid weather yet.

I know cryo is a thing, and I respect practitioners. But I keep wanting to run out with a blanket to throw over his incredible shoulders.

You are more noble than I. I would want to run out and throw him over my shoulders. :p