Edmund White's Autobiographical Novels

E.T.Bass
This topic is 1305 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Edmund White was born in Cincinnati in 1940, and currently lives in NYC.

I just finished the 3rd of his 3 autobiographical novels. All good.

He chronicled personal life experiences that reflect the evolution of gay men in America during the last half of the 20th century.

At times I thought to myself "what a drama queen". But perhaps he deserves to wear it as a badge of honor.

#3 is The Farewell Symphony.

which chronicles his later adult life and his loves in America and Europe.

#1, A Boy's Own Story was the most acclaimed. Here is an article by Alan Hollinghurst, an author discussed in this forum.

#2, The Beautiful Room is Empty his coming out and and coming of age.

Edmund White was born in Cincinnati in 1940, and currently lives in NYC.

I just finished the 3rd of his 3 autobiographical novels. All good.

He chronicled personal life experiences that reflect the evolution of gay men in America during the last half of the 20th century.

At times I thought to myself "what a drama queen". But perhaps he deserves to wear it as a badge of honor.

#3 is The Farewell Symphony.

which chronicles his later adult life and his loves in America and Europe.

#1, A Boy's Own Story was the most acclaimed. Here is an article by Alan Hollinghurst, an author discussed in this forum.

#2, The Beautiful Room is Empty his coming out and and coming of age.

I've read #1 and #2. I remember the writing and his turn of phrase more than the actual details of White's. It made an impression on me as this was part of my coming out reading list. And I've hesitated to read them again, because I think they would mean less to me second time through. I read On Becoming A Man, Paul Monette's auto-biography, and loved it the first time. The second time I read years later, I didn't identify with the book much at all. Although I've always appreciated his dedication at the beginning of book, something along the lines of he 'could only have met his partner out in the open.'

I've read #1 and #2. I remember the writing and his turn of phrase more than the actual details of White's. It made an impression on me as this was part of my coming out reading list. And I've hesitated to read them again, because I think they would mean less to me second time through. I read On Becoming A Man, Paul Monette's auto-biography, and loved it the first time. The second time I read years later, I didn't identify with the book much at all. Although I've always appreciated his dedication at the beginning of book, something along the lines of he 'could only have met his partner out in the open.'

I allowed myself to not remember all these friends and relatives he wrote about. Too many. The hope that hung in the air at the end of #2......

#3 might serve as remembrance for some.

I allowed myself to not remember all these friends and relatives he wrote about. Too many. The hope that hung in the air at the end of #2......

#3 might serve as remembrance for some.

The last thing I read of White's was The Married Man. I remember I was really looking forward to reading it. And, unfortunately, that era and personal privilege of his life didn't speak to me much at all. Is there something you would recommend to a jaded reader? ;)

Edited by RealAvalon

I meant of Edmund White's. But the second one looks interesting. Ta

I read Less a while ago and enjoyed it; I hadn't read many gay-themed books in awhile, and I'm happy I did; I guess Greer struck some chord with me!

The restaurant in Japan was a metaphor for his life, right? The trip around the world was his chance to figure himself out. Liked it.

I guessed the Freddy situation. I'm a softy that way. ?

The restaurant in Japan was a metaphor for his life, right? The trip around the world was his chance to figure himself out. Liked it.

I guessed the Freddy situation. I'm a softy that way. ?

It's not that I didn't like it, I breezed through it pretty quick, maybe I was just expecting more. Everything is a metaphor in the book. We discuss it in book club this weekend. I'll let you know if there's anything profound.

Update: several people in book club were surprised it won a Pulitzer prize.

Edited by RealAvalon

• 7 months later...