College President arrested - Grindr

KrisParr
This topic is 1546 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Uh-oh ...

Lawyer: Grindr exchange with undercover cop led to arrest of Franklin College president

The attorney for Thomas Minar, the Franklin College president who was fired this week after his arrest on suspicion of child enticement, said his client was arrested after arranging to meet someone from a dating app who was actually an undercover cop.

Minar, 56, was arrested last week in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, on preliminary charges of use of a computer to facilitate a sex crime, child enticement and exposing a child to harmful materials/narrations. He has since been released on bond.

Officials at Franklin College announced Minar's firing on Monday, saying they were "deeply shocked and gravely concerned" by the allegations.

Attorney Brett Reetz said law enforcement officers created a fake profile on the dating app Grindr, which is geared toward gay, bisexual and transgender users, and exchanged messages with Minar for more than a month before his arrest.

Minar was Franklin College's first openly gay president.

Thomas J. Minar (Photo: Provided by the Door County (Wis.) Jail)

"It’s a situation where, if you take the government out of it, there’s no crime, it doesn’t occur," Reetz said. "And there’s no real young man who was attempted to be victimized, and even if there was, my client’s adamant that there was no intent to do anything illegal."

The Sturgeon Bay Police Department has not responded to IndyStar's multiple requests for more information or comment on this incident.

Reetz said Minar was in Sturgeon Bay to help care for his elderly mother when he formed a relationship with a person he believed to be a young man he encountered on Grindr.

Reetz said it was his understanding that the initial messages represented the individual as being 19 years old, but "as the online relationship developed, it became uncertain as to what age the person was.”

The pair exchanged messages, which Reetz said had "sexual overtones," on the app and via text, Reetz said, and agreed to meet face-to-face at a Sturgeon Bay McDonald's on Jan. 6. Reetz maintains that Minar did not meet the other person with the intention of having sex.

It was unclear how old Minar thought the individual was, Reetz said, only that by the time they arranged to meet, it was understood that the person was under the age of 18.

Police arrested Minar at the restaurant.

Formal charges have not yet been filed by the Door County District Attorney's Office. DA Colleen Nordin told IndyStar Monday she expected charges to be filed in the coming days.

“It’s an unfortunate situation, because it certainly plays on people's impulses," Reetz said. "And given — especially in the homosexual community — given the anxiety, the social pressures, things like that, there’s an increased vulnerability in that community."

Reetz said the situation is "painful" for everyone involved.

"Thomas is heartbroken by the circumstances," he said, "and really does not have — never had — any intention to hurt or exploit anybody."

Kerry Prather named acting president

Minar joined Franklin from American University in Washington, D.C., where he was vice president for development and alumni relations. A Chicago-area native, Minar previously worked for 23 years at Illinois institutions. It was announced last year that he would step down from his post at the end of the 2019-20 school year.

Reetz said Minar contacted the school following his arrest and offered to resign.

"He acknowledged that based on the circumstances, the allegations, the likely consequences were going to be in the detriment to the school," Reetz said.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe in entrapment. However, when communicating on a dating or hookup app I believe that all communication must stop immediately when a person identifies themselves as being underage.

Yes. No question about it.

There was also this (see link below) from a few months ago. I don't know this guy, but I know people that do. I have no info on what has happened with him since the arrest, but I assume it's not good news for him.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-broadway-musician-sex-case-20190907-yuwp3k2snrafte24stohytytci-story.html

While I don't think most would believe that this guy was looking to meet this made-up, under-18 male for nonsexual reasons, this story does make me sad in that an older gay male was instrumental in me coming out when I was only 16, and he had no ulterior motives beyond helping other gay men (he ran a counseling center). This was in the '70s. I fear that our culture has become so reactionary today that it's unlikely any adults would be willing to take such a risk, and that's just sad. That being said, crusing on Grindr is not the equivalent of running a hotline and offering to talk with someone struggling with sexual orientation issues.

The plot thickens ... a bit ...

Thomas Minar, formerly the president of Franklin College, was removed from his position over the weekend following his arrest in Wisconsin on several sex crimes-related charges.

Minar was arrested Jan. 6 after he engaged in a series of conversations with a teen named Tyler over the dating app Grindr. "Tyler" was actually an undercover officer with the Sturgeon Bay Police Department.

Here's what we know about the investigation and subsequent arrest.

Who is Thomas J. Minar?

Minar, 56, had been with Franklin College since 2015. He came to Franklin from American University in Washington, D.C., where he was vice president for development and alumni relations. A Chicago-area native, Minar previously worked for 23 years at Illinois institutions.

Minar was Franklin College's first openly gay president.

What happened?

Minar messaged first, according to a criminal complaint filed in the case, and seemed unfazed when Tyler, whose profile said he was 19, wrote that he was "too young" for him.

"You’re not too young for me :)" Minar allegedly responded.

Just a few messages later, it had been established that Tyler was going to be at school until 3 p.m. Minar continued to send messages.

“So how old ARE you? ;)” Minar asked.

The officer said he was 15 and a high school student.

Minar responded: “Very cool.”

According to court documents, the pair continued talking throughout the day — their conversations becoming increasingly sexual — before agreeing to meet at a local McDonald's, where officers took Minar into custody.

Minar allegedly admitted to police that he knew Tyler was underage and that he was simply hoping to mentor the boy.

“Minar stated that he thinks young gay people need ‘resources’ and ‘non-sexual affirmations and mentorship and role models,’” investigators wrote in the criminal complaint, “and this was probably a ‘misguided way to provide an opportunity.’”

What is he charged with?

Minar was charged Wednesday with felony counts of child enticement, use of a computer to facilitate a child sex crime and exposing a child to harmful material.

How did Franklin College respond?

The school announced Monday that Minar had been terminated over the weekend after learning of the "deeply disturbing incident" in an email from the Sturgeon Bay Police Department.

“The safety of our campus community – especially our students – is always our first priority," said Jim Due, chair of the board. "We are deeply shocked and gravely concerned by the reported behavior of Dr. Minar that led to his arrest in Wisconsin, and we will continue to cooperate fully with authorities."

Officials said the college has launched an investigation into Minar's conduct while president. As of Wednesday, neither the Franklin Police Department nor the Johnson County Sheriff had received complaints about Minar.

Franklin College announced Tuesday evening that Kerry Prather, who has been the school's director of athletics and head men’s basketball coach, would assume the role of acting president.

What happens next?

Minar goes to court. His attorney, Brett Reetz, told IndyStar Wednesday that more will be learned after the preliminary hearing, which has not yet been scheduled. An initial hearing is set for Jan. 27.

Child enticement is a Class D Felony, carrying a sentence of up to 25 years; use of a computer to facilitate a child sex crime is a Class C Felony, carrying up to 40 years in prison; and exposing a child to harmful material is a Class I Felony, which carries a sentence of no more than 3 ½ years. Each count also carries a potential penalty of thousands of dollars in fines.

I do wonder how many of the people caught in these "stings" where no child was ever involved were likely to ever meet a real child. I suspect most of them wouldn't have.

I'm not debating the merits of these sting operations, but it's logical to assume that these people would have, in fact, met a minor had the person they had been chatting with actually been a minor versus an undercover law enforcement officer. I mean, it isn't like this guy only chatted with someone he believed to be a young teen. He showed up at an agreed upon location expecting to meet the minor he had been chatting with.

I'm not debating the merits of these sting operations, but it's logical to assume that these people would have, in fact, met a minor had the person they had been chatting with actually been a minor versus an undercover law enforcement officer. I mean, it isn't like this guy only chatted with someone he believed to be a young teen. He showed up at an agreed upon location expecting to meet the minor he had been chatting with.

Some of these I read about though it sounds like the agent both initiates contact and steers the conversation over a fairly long period of time. Id agree with you on cases where the meeting happens within days of initial contact. On the ones that involve months of buildup? I'm not so sure.

By the time Chris Hansen has you on the kitchen stool with a plate of cookies on the counter, you're fucked.

I'd say this guy is toast.

Even Chris Hansen can be toast!!

(Spoiler-old news in case anyone isn't aware)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2354411/amp/Kristyn-Caddell-Former-mistress-To-Catch-A-Predator-star-Chris-Hansen-speaks-affair.html

Gman

Even in the fairly benign world of online games.....

The second someone indicates they are less than 18 years old,

I say, ”I’m sorry, I though you were an adult”....and then I cease

all communication with that individual. Period.

Sad but true.

Obviously that's happened to several of us. The one guy I seriously considered about meeting before he told me his true age was, luckily for me, legal in Washington state, but I think if the same scenario had happened in Texas, he would have been underage.

Gman

I'm pretty sure when communication is online 18 is the cutoff regardless of age of consent in the state

Obviously I'm not a lawyer. But what I'm thinking is that the terms of service for the apps probably state 18 as minimum age. Discounting that violation-then it seems to me that talking to the person online depends more on state rules because using the apps could be considered a substitute for texting. And if legal age is, for example 16 in Washington state, then in general with some exceptions, it should be legal to discuss things.

On the other hand, knowingly talking to a 16 year old for hooking up is not something I want to do. So I'd block them.

Gman

Obviously I'm not a lawyer. But what I'm thinking is that the terms of service for the apps probably state 18 as minimum age. Discounting that violation-then it seems to me that talking to the person online depends more on state rules because using the apps could be considered a substitute for texting. And if legal age is, for example 16 in Washington state, then in general with some exceptions, it should be legal to discuss things.

On the other hand, knowingly talking to a 16 year old for hooking up is not something I want to do. So I'd block them.

Gman

I think it's a provision of federal law, the Communications Decency Act or some such.

Meh. She was 30 when she approached him at a club and initiated the affair. She tried to talk him into leaving his wife, and he waffled. After it ended, she ran crying to the media.

I also had a similar experience on Grindr. A pic of a cute 21 yo asking to meet older men. I sent a message asking if he were interested. A few days later he replies saying I’m actually 14 yo are you still interested? That was my cue to block him. Yes, I believe this was a potential case of entrapment. I haven’t seen any similar profiles since. Thinking back, his pic didn’t look like a 14 yo. You just don’t know who’s out there.

Does anyone know if police departments set up fake profiles to lure people? I've seen profiles recently that offer services but seem sketchy. One guy's pictures looked similar but they weren't all of him so I suspected the profile was fake.

Just be super paranoid and you’ll avoid these debacles.

Just to be clear, it’s against US law for an adult US citizen to have sex with a minor anywhere in the world.

Granted, it will be difficult to prove and prosecute, but it is illegal nonetheless.

Only advising because I think many are ignorant of this fact.

Yes, I remember reading about a decade ago about some San Francisco man who regularly traveled to Thailand for "sex tourism." He was prosecuted in the United States for having sex with teens under the age of 18 while in Thailand. I don't remember the details (e.g., how he was detected by law enforcement either in Thailand or the U.S.), but he was facing significant charges at home.