Skin issues

diehard_002
This topic is 1559 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was traveling in south Asia recently and hired a few masseurs. I noticed that many of them had dark brown/black marks on the chest and body including the groin area. They are easy to miss in the dim light but were very clear in normal light.

My google research indicates scabies, since fungal or bacterial infections have different characteristics. Does anyone in the forum know exactly what type of skin issue is related to this and how is it treated and prevented ? Is there a way to tell if the infection is contagious or simply a scar from prior occurrence ?

Thanks.

Scabies is a bit of a jump to a conclusion. It could very well be post-traumatic hyperpigmentation, a non-contagious condition related to vitiglio that I have that is the result of an immune reaction to injury. The best way you can tell is if the marks just a normal part of the skin. If it's a rash or scabies or almost any kind of infection, the marks will be raised from the skin. Scabies is actually pretty obvious..it will also have dry patches and usually flows in kind of a line since scabies is caused by a burrowing mite.

In any case, if it is scabies and you are infected you will know pretty soon by the intense itching that scabies causes. If you don't experience that symptom then you are likely fine. You probably aren't infected with anything.

Agreed, if these are infections then you'd know soon enough. But consulting Dr Google and heaven forbid Wikipedia might lead you to the wrong conclusions. I say check south your primary care physician instead.

I grew up in ther same region and while I don't have that discoloration you mentioned I knew a few. And it is nothing more than issues with skin pigmentation. Get yourself checked nonetheless to make sure it isn't anything serious.

I was traveling in south Asia recently and hired a few masseurs. I noticed that many of them had dark brown/black marks on the chest and body including the groin area. They are easy to miss in the dim light but were very clear in normal light.

My google research indicates scabies, since fungal or bacterial infections have different characteristics. Does anyone in the forum know exactly what type of skin issue is related to this and how is it treated and prevented ? Is there a way to tell if the infection is contagious or simply a scar from prior occurrence ?

Thanks.

That’s a very worst case scenario conclusion to jump to. It is likely hyperpigmentation, prevalent in Asian and African American skin types. Especially if shaving has occurred in that area.