Parasite For Best Picture?

quoththeraven
This topic is 1041 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrat to Parasite. I haven't seen it yet, but its win makes me want to....

however, I cant help but think its Win was The Academy's way of atoning for its lack of diversity in its nominations…. I cant help but wonder how this big could beat sweeping epic multi million dollar blockbusters like 1917 , joker or Irishman ?

In this time of extreme disiveness, its win is a major step towards "inclusion", even if it isn't authentic... I applaud the win and cant see what all the fuss is about...gonna watch it tonight.

Parasite's wins make me very happy. It was my favorite film of 2019 and also i think the most 2019 film. While most of the nominated films took place in the past (or some weird Joker alt history of the past), Parasite was one of the few films to be really about our present day. Its characters represented both the hustling, working classes and the wealthier, striving upper-classes, but was so nuanced that in many ways both sets of characters are the villains and heroes of the story. To me, Parasite was such a timely movie.

Parasite's wins make me very happy. It was my favorite film of 2019 and also i think the most 2019 film. While most of the nominated films took place in the past (or some weird Joker alt history of the past), Parasite was one of the few films to be really about our present day. Its characters represented both the hustling, working classes and the wealthier, striving upper-classes, but was so nuanced that in many ways both sets of characters are the villains and heroes of the story. To me, Parasite was such a timely movie.

The win will give it the Broader audience it needs.... I had no idea WHAT it was about until all the hype started. Initially I thought it was some science fiction pic ?

I saw the movie only the week before the awards, so it was very fresh in my mind. I thought it was extremely well done, and a terrific example of ensemble work, but then so was "Knives out" and "Little Women", both of which left me feeling happy rather than depressed.

Count me as totally bourgeoise.

Spoiler:

I counted 4 onscreen deaths in Parasite, 2 in Knives out, 1 in Little Women. All were necessary to the plots.

Sad but I have not seen it yet. However from a movie that won a deluge of awards it seems so odd that none of the actors were nominated (or won) an award for the film. I am trying to figure out what could possibly explain the lack of actors/esses in any category.

They did win best acting ensemble at the SAG Awards. For me, the acting was great. Enjoyed all of the cast.

Guest LeonTrotsky

Given Trump's white nationalism, it is not at all surprising that he longs for Gone With The Wind:

From Variety;

Trump Mocks ‘Parasite’ Best Picture Win: ‘What the Hell Was That All About?’

President Donald Trump took aim at “Parasite’s” historic Oscar wins at a Colorado rally on Thursday.

“How bad were the Academy Awards this year?” he asked, prompting jeers from the crowd. “Did you see it?”

“The winner is… a movie from South Korea! What the hell was that all about?” he went on. “We got enough problems with South Korea with trade. On top of that, they give them best movie of the year? Was it good? I don’t know. Let’s get ‘Gone With the Wind.’ Can we get ‘Gone With the Wind’ back, please?”

“So many great movies…” he bemoaned before again mocking, “the winner is from South Korea!”

“I thought it was best foreign film, right? Best foreign movie,” he said. “Did this ever happen before?”

It hadn’t, actually, happened before. “Parasite” made history when it became the first foreign-language film to win best picture at the Oscars, also taking home original screenplay, director for Bong Joon Ho and best international film.

He also took a shot at Brad Pitt, who used his speech for winning supporting actor to, in part, call out the Trump impeachment trial for blocking the testimony of former national security adviser John Bolton. Trump said he was “never a fan” of Pitt, addressing his Oscars speech.

“He got up and said little wiseguy statements,” Trump said of Pitt. “He’s a little wiseguy.”

During the Oscars, Pitt joked, “They told me I only have 45 seconds up here, which is 45 seconds more than the Senate gave John Bolton this week. I’m thinking maybe Quentin [Tarantino] does a movie about it — in the end, the adults do the right thing.”

Neon, the distributor of “Parasite,” took Trump’s jabs in stride, tweeting that it was “understandable” that Trump couldn’t comprehend the subtitled film. “He can’t read,” it said, including the hashtag #Bong2020.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

PARASITE definitely deserves a Best Picture nomination. I have not seen SNOWPIERCER but added it to my Netflix queue. MOTHER is also very good, but my favorite Bong Joon-ho film is MEMORIES OF MURDER. I've seen it three times.

This is great news! The crimes which inspired MEMORIES OF MURDER have finally been solved. I hope this motivates people to take another look at this great film. It would make a great double feature with PARASITE.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/south-korea-police-sorry-mistakes-memories-murder-serial-killer-case-1301523

• 11 months later...

Parasite revisited.

The reason to bring this up again.

I ran across a cool Vlog on YouTube while learning about the painting Nighthawks, which is found at the Art Institute of Chicago (I believe).

Anyway after viewing that well done vlog I found this one by the same dude, about the film Parasite.  Quite interesting.